Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: HELP! I need a mathematician quickly!

  1. #1
    Senior Member PghPat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA - Leesburg FL
    Posts
    534
    Blog Entries
    42

    Unhappy HELP! I need a mathematician quickly!

    Before I start cutting I need to know if I have enough fabric and for the life of me I can't figure it out without out coming up with a half dozen different figures. I have 63 - 9 1/2" unfinished blocks - of course 9" finished. I want to sew them 9 rows down by 7 rows across and want to put 1" finished (cutting 1 1/2) sashing. I plan on sewing strips on one side of each block, sewing the rows together and then joining rows with long strips.

    PLEASE tell me how much yardage (42" width) I need. I can't imagine why I didn't post this yesterday....I know I could have saved myself MUCH time and stress and probably could have it done by now...LOL.

    Thanks for any help I may be given. Pat

  2. #2
    Super Member charsuewilson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,203
    So, you want 8- 9.5" strips 1.5" wide for each row, multiply by 9 rows = 72 9.5" strips 1.5" wide

    You can get 4 of these trips from one WOF, so you need 72/4 or 18 1.5" strips = 24", or 2/3 yard, round to 3/4 yd.

    And you need 10 strips of the 7 9" finished blocks with 1" sashing + 1.5" = 10 strips of 71.5" = 715" of 1.5" strip.

    You can make one strip from 2 WOF or piece them further.

    To use 2 WOF for one strip means that you need 10 strips 3" wide = 5/6 yard, round to 1 yard

    or with more piecing:
    715" / 40" WOF = 18 1.5" strips = 240" length of fabric /36" per yard = 2/3 yd, round to 3/4 yd

    So, 3/4 yd + 3/4 yd would be minimally sufficient = 1.5 yd, but I would round to 1.75 or 2 yards to have enough to cover cutting errors or unsquared fabric.

    Sue

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lincoln. MI
    Posts
    492
    Blog Entries
    1
    Well, assuming your blocks are all cut square of the same fabric at 9.5 inches, and not pieced from different fabrics, out of one yard of fabric (42" x 36") you will only get 9 9.5 inch blocks. For 9 across and 7 down you will need 63 blocks, which means 7 yards of fabric just for the blocks. However, if you are piecing fabric to come up with your 9.5 inch block you would need to figure out each fabric separately. For the sashing you will need approximately 1,100 inches. At 1 1/5 inches wide per sashing strip you could conceivably get 24 strips out of a yard, which would give you 1008 inches. So for the sashing you should be absolutely safe with 1 1/4 yards of fabric. Good luck
    Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!

  4. #4
    Senior Member PghPat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA - Leesburg FL
    Posts
    534
    Blog Entries
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by charsuewilson View Post
    So, you want 8- 9.5" strips 1.5" wide for each row, multiply by 9 rows = 72 9.5" strips 1.5" wide

    You can get 4 of these trips from one WOF, so you need 72/4 or 18 1.5" strips = 24", or 2/3 yard, round to 3/4 yd.

    And you need 10 strips of the 7 9" finished blocks with 1" sashing + 1.5" = 10 strips of 71.5" = 715" of 1.5" strip.

    You can make one strip from 2 WOF or piece them further.

    To use 2 WOF for one strip means that you need 10 strips 3" wide = 5/6 yard, round to 1 yard

    or with more piecing:
    715" / 40" WOF = 18 1.5" strips = 240" length of fabric /36" per yard = 2/3 yd, round to 3/4 yd

    So, 3/4 yd + 3/4 yd would be minimally sufficient = 1.5 yd, but I would round to 1.75 or 2 yards to have enough to cover cutting errors or unsquared fabric.

    Sue
    Ironically I have 1 3/4 yards of fabric that I want to use.....I guess I'll chance it...LOL. I still don't understand the calculations....just going by the bottom number. And believe it or not I was a bookkeeper in my younger years and loved solving this kind of problem. I've lost it along the way.

    Thank you so much. I knew I'd find someone capable on here.

  5. #5
    Senior Member PghPat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA - Leesburg FL
    Posts
    534
    Blog Entries
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by davis2se View Post
    Well, assuming your blocks are all cut square of the same fabric at 9.5 inches, and not pieced from different fabrics, out of one yard of fabric (42" x 36") you will only get 9 9.5 inch blocks. For 9 across and 7 down you will need 63 blocks, which means 7 yards of fabric just for the blocks. However, if you are piecing fabric to come up with your 9.5 inch block you would need to figure out each fabric separately. For the sashing you will need approximately 1,100 inches. At 1 1/5 inches wide per sashing strip you could conceivably get 24 strips out of a yard, which would give you 1008 inches. So for the sashing you should be absolutely safe with 1 1/4 yards of fabric. Good luck
    Thank you also, Davis. You made me feel good - I already have my 63 blocks made and you made me realize how much money I saved making them all from strips of scrap. Even the 1 3/4 yards that I have and want to use for sashing is scrap fabric. I LOVE Scrappy Quilts...as much as I love saving money...LOL.

  6. #6
    Senior Member amelia0607's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Jackson, TN
    Posts
    526
    Quote Originally Posted by PghPat View Post
    Ironically I have 1 3/4 yards of fabric that I want to use.....I guess I'll chance it...LOL. I still don't understand the calculations....just going by the bottom number. And believe it or not I was a bookkeeper in my younger years and loved solving this kind of problem. I've lost it along the way.

    Thank you so much. I knew I'd find someone capable on here.
    I have a Master's Degree in Business with 18 additional graduate level hours in Accounting. I teach accounting on the college level but I too am struggling with quilter's math! It's just intimidating the heck out of me!! i am so thankful for the good folks on this board to help me out. One of these that light bulb will go off over my head and I will understand it!!

  7. #7
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    21,937
    Looks like you already have your squares cut -

    But if you wanted to cut all of them from one piece of fabric:

    The way I figured this:

    Assumptions:
    (1)You are not fussy cutting? Fussy cutting is cutting so only certain parts of a pattern/stripe/design is showing - it usually takes more fabric than 'just cutting'
    (2) You are cutting all the blocks from one fabric

    The basic steps are:

    1) How many squares can one get from a width of fabric?
    (divide width of fabric by size of square - round down to the whole number)
    2) How many widths of fabric will one need?
    (divide total number of squares by number of squares from one width - round up to next whole number)

    I can get four 9.5 inch squares out of a width of 42 inch fabric. (9.5 x 4 = 37 inches)

    63 divided by 4 = 15.75 (one needs to round up to the next higher whole number)

    It will take 16 widths of fabric to cut 63 squares (one left over from the last row)

    16 rows x 9.5 inches = 152 inches

    152 inches divided by 36 inches = 4.222 yards
    Last edited by bearisgray; 08-11-2013 at 12:24 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.