Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What did I do wrong???

What did I do wrong???

I have started my 1st. quilt....It's a 9block with 3 1/2 in squares and 9 1/2 inch plain squares...Hope that makes sense...So I sewed all the 9 patch blocks together to make my patch block squares. Laid them all out on my bed with the plain blocks.....WHY ARE THE PLAIN BLOCKS SMALLER THAN MT 9 PATCH BLOCKS???? I am so frustrated right now...How do I fix this problem?? Any ideas thank you for your help

Check your seam allowance. You should be using a 1/4" seam allowance. If you measure your 9-patch blocks, it should be 9 1/2" x 9 1/2". If it is bigger, you are not using enough of a seam allowance. If it is smaller, you are using too big of a seam allowance.

Hope this helps!

Power Poster
    If all your 9 patch blocks are sewn together, you can take them apart and fix them or cut bigger plain blocks. OR If it is just a smidge, you can trim then to match the plain blocks. A smidge trimmed of the edges shouldn't be too noticeable.

Blog Entries
    Make sure you use the same ruler for all blocks, and maybe double-check your ruler for accuracy. I have an Olfa frosted ruler that is accurate on 2 sides and about 1/16th of an inch too big on the other two sides. It's very frustrating, I have to pay careful attention to which side I use if I'm measuring.

Check to be sure you cut accurately, and check seams to be sure they are all 1/4

Blog Entries
    If your patchwork blocks are larger than the plain ones then you either cut the small squares too large or the large block too small OR your seam allowance is off. Here's a way to check: http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...ce-t89997.html

As far as proceeding on this quilt, how much are the blocks off? You have some options. If the blocks are off a small amount, like 1/8", you can ease them. Try putting the larger block on the bottom against the feed dogs to ease the excess.
    If the patchwork blocks are too small (and were cut correctly) the seams are smaller than 1/4". I would tug on the seams a bit. If they are sturdy with the smaller seam, you have the option of just trimming them down to 9.5", taking an equal amount off opposite sides. If the seams pull apart, you will need to take them apart and re sew them.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    I can understand your frustration. It could be your 1/4" seam is off, sew on an index card, and test it, adjust to fit, mark with tape, sew again. Another trick that I used with dgd, was to tell her, we will cut the solid squares after we finish the 4 patches. Don't beat yourself up, all of us have gone through what you just did. If you have more fabric, cut squares to match. Quilting should be fun, I laugh at my mistakes, the seam ripper and I have a love affair.
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Sew the blocks that have the most seams first, then measure those to find the size to cut your plain blocks. Solves all sorts of problems.
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Blog Entries
    oh boy, measure all your nine patches first. make sure they are all the same size. Now, if your solid squares are too small you can think about maybe cutting them down again just a bit and add a sashing all around each one to make them match the nine patches. it may even make your quilt better. You always work with what you have. Good luck!!
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    Sew the blocks that have the most seams first, then measure those to find the size to cut your plain blocks. Solves all sorts of problems.
    I love this idea.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seaside gal View Post
    I love this idea.
    I agree totally!

Great advice. Wish I had been told that last week oh well lessons learner the hard way tend to stick in my brain longer.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    Make sure you use the same ruler for all blocks, and maybe double-check your ruler for accuracy. I have an Olfa frosted ruler that is accurate on 2 sides and about 1/16th of an inch too big on the other two sides. It's very frustrating, I have to pay careful attention to which side I use if I'm measuring.
    I would write to the company and inform them of that - and then I would try to return it to the store.

I've noticed that some graph paper and some template plastic graph grids were not the same in both directions.

Power Poster
    If you can obtain a copy of Mary Ellen Hopkins' book called

"The It's Okay if You Sit on My Quilt Book"

it might be very helpful to you.

But in the meantime - what the other people have said - -

If you can obtain a copy of Mary Ellen Hopkins' book called

"The It's Okay if You Sit on My Quilt Book"

it might be very helpful to you.

That was one of my first quilting books way back when. Definitely "old school" (about 1985) but modern enough to include rotary cutting.

But in the meantime - what the other people have said - -[/QUOTE]
    There is nothing you can do to make God love you more and nothing you can do to make Him love you less.

Jan, you are just too clever!! I will remember that!!!!
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Jan in VA I have missed your wisdom. Good to see a post from you.

Glad to see you back Jan, hope you can get back to quilting soon, in the meantime you can keep on helping those of us who need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Carol34446 View Post
    Glad to see you back Jan, hope you can get back to quilting soon, in the meantime you can keep on helping those of us who need it.
    I agree. Welcome back, Jan!!!
    Alma
    Nami to 6

This is the way I do mine. If you are not exact in your piecing, it is easier to cut the block to match the patchwork. I know it is to late for this project but you can try it on your next quilt.

You've gotten a lot of good advice already. Don't get discouraged - you'll get it right. And congratulations on tackling your very first quilt!