Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
mini spools of thread >

mini spools of thread

mini spools of thread

Old 08-11-2013, 05:34 AM

Default mini spools of thread

I had a mental breakthrough when I first started English Paper Piecing...bobbins make great mini spools for take-along thread! I know, it sounds like a real "duh" moment, but I recently bought an upgraded machine that doesn't like the metal bobbins my old Singer used with no problem, so I figured I would use them as take-with-me spools for thread. Works like a champ!
Old 08-11-2013, 05:43 AM

Great recycling idea. I read somewhere that some women were filling these bobbins and using them on theirsergers for small projects and didn't have enough spools of the same color. Don't know if it works or not though. When I bought my serger long ago, the sales lady said to always buy at least 4 spools of each color at a time, then everything matches. I have so much thread, I'll never be able to use it all. Wonder if I can use it for piecing quilts?
Old 08-11-2013, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

That is a wonderful idea!
Old 08-11-2013, 11:17 AM

I do this alot. Its great too when you want more expensive thread like Aurifil, you can get a group of people together to buy a bunch of spools and then divide them up onto bobbins. You get a variety of bobbins and depending on what you get its around a $1 a bobbin. You'd be surprised as to how long they last when appliquing or hand piecing. Like you said, alot more conveint.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Misty's Mom View Post
Great recycling idea. I read somewhere that some women were filling these bobbins and using them on theirsergers for small projects and didn't have enough spools of the same color. Don't know if it works or not though. When I bought my serger long ago, the sales lady said to always buy at least 4 spools of each color at a time, then everything matches. I have so much thread, I'll never be able to use it all. Wonder if I can use it for piecing quilts?
You can piece with your serger so that question is answered. Nancy Z has a book about quilting with a serger. Just think, your bobbin never wears out. I had lots of cones from yrs ago so when I started embroidering I figured for things like the kids Easter baskets or Christmas ornaments where sheen wasn't a factor it'd be cheaper to use the serger thread. It took me a while of trying over a couple different holidays and I finally figured out how to use them when machine emb especially when doing FSL.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:47 AM

Such a wonderful idea!!
Old 08-11-2013, 11:52 AM
Power Poster

Could you put the bobbins in empty pill bottles so they will not unwind in one's kit?
Old 08-11-2013, 12:26 PM
Power Poster

I fill the donut bobbin holders with bobbins full of different color threads to put on my guild sale table. It's great to have so many color selections in one place when handsewing. I buy the metal bobbins at Wal Mart. I have lots of thread that I know I'll never use up so I wind bobbins. It's all cotton or all poly I don't mix the bobbins in the donuts. Each donut will hold 30 -35 bobbins. It's a great way to use up all the extra thread spools.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:39 PM
Power Poster

* empty dental floss containers make great holders for a bobbin. Also good when traveling~~
Old 08-11-2013, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Misty's Mom View Post
When I bought my serger long ago, the sales lady said to always buy at least 4 spools of each color at a time, then everything matches. ...Wonder if I can use it for piecing quilts?
If you are talking two ply serger thread, I sure wouldn't recommend piecing quilts with it. That is not strong thread. It is meant to be used with other threads so any one spool of thread does not need to be strong. Now Superior Threads does have a two-ply piecing thread, and it is stronger than serger thread. Generally, I recommend 50 weight, 3 ply regular thread for piecing quilts.