Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Calling all those that own a stationary or long-arm on a frame >

Calling all those that own a stationary or long-arm on a frame

Calling all those that own a stationary or long-arm on a frame

Old 12-15-2023, 04:52 AM

Default Calling all those that own a stationary or long-arm on a frame

Please share your experiences of owning a mid-arm or a long arm machine. I am in the final stages of considering a mid-arm. I love free motion quilting and find my domestic limiting. I was able to quit on my friend’s mid-arm and it was so fun. It really pushed me over the edge to look at one for myself. (If she lived closer, I could just share.).

Anyway, as you know, it is a big purchase and I wanted to hear about what iit was like for others. Are you glad you made the leap? ARe you enjoying it as much as you thought you would?

All thoughts and advice are appreciated.
Old 12-15-2023, 04:59 AM

After 40 years on the same domestic machine, I bought one on sale! Bernina Q16. Love, love, love it. I use washable markers for following lines.
Old 12-15-2023, 05:08 AM

I bought my longarm 9 years ago and never looked back. My main reason was ergonomic -- standing upright instead of sitting was much better for me. I was always hunched over when using my domestic for quilting, partly because my arms are long and my eyesight's not so great. I used a friend's mid-arm once, and it was still not comfortable for me.

Bigger machines take up lots more space, of course, but if you have room and can afford it, I'd say go for it.
Old 12-15-2023, 05:20 AM

I purchased a midarm (BabyLock Tiara) off of Craig's List a number of years ago and it has been wonderful. I used it the first few years as a sitdown but soon found that my shoulders didn't like handling all that fabric. I researched and discovered that I could put it on a long arm frame...the Grace Q Zone Queen with extended handles and carriage and now I have a long arm. It's not as much space as a "real" long arm...about 14", but it works for me. I can usually do 2 rows before I have to roll it.
So, here is my advice....
-look at used...These machines are work horses and can go for millions and millions of stitches. Mine had only 500 000 stitches on it and came with everything plus she threw in a bunch of rulers and I paid $2500.00 USD. (I drove from Canada and brought it back across the border.)
- if it has a stitch regulator look very carefully at how it works to decide if you need it. The older ones were more of a pain than anything. I sold mine. Maybe the newer ones are wonderful?
- look into a suspension system - you can make one cheaply...I can tell you how I did it if you're interested...but it will save you a lot of hauling fabric around the table top.
-immediately look up Jamie Wallen's videos on Oiling Your Long Arm and Tension on Your Long Arm. You can thank me later.
-get the LED lights that are on a tape and stick along the throat of your machine above your work area. They make a huge difference.
- if you do decide to go straight to a long arm, try one first if you never have. Take some classes to get a feel for them before you go looking at them. This will help you know what to ask.
- if I were to buy a "real" long arm I would buy Handi Quilter (They make the Tiara), just because I've had such amazing luck with my Tiara plus we have dealers in the area, which I think is important.
Hope this was helpful. Any specific questions, let me know!

Watson

Old 12-19-2023, 03:10 AM

We have a Baby Lock Regent sit down with stitch regulation built into the table. It was great fun on small sampler-type pieces. However my partner tends to do bedsize quilts more often, and handling the bulk on the sit-down has made her postpone finishing quilts (and even considering taking them to a quilter to finish). We are looking at converting or trading in for a stand up system where the machine moves instead of the quilt. If it is a space consideration for you, you can look at some of the 5 foot quilting systems. You still have to manage the bulk, but you do not have to move the entire bulk under a stationary machine.
Old 12-19-2023, 05:36 AM

I started with a 9” domestic on a grace SR2 frame. Recently moved up to a 15” Qnique which is the largest my frame will handle. I love having it on a frame. Much easier on my hands moving machine in lieu of fabric. Allows me to do more complicated Free Motion designs and ruler work. And no wrinkles on the back😁. And it eliminates the basting.
Old 12-19-2023, 09:36 AM

Normally I'm a thrifty shopper and will try to buy the least expensive thing. My husband is the opposite, he always wants the biggest, best product. When it came to buying a longarm, my experience watching all my longarming friends struggle with their various brands and problems convinced me to follow my husband's advice for once. I chose Innova and haven't regretted it for a single second. I've had it 5 years now, not a single issue ever, and I love it!
Old 12-20-2023, 02:43 AM

Default Go for it

I wanted a long arm for many many years but never had the money or space for one.
When I retired and had an empty bedroom I finally bought a long arm.
I got a Grace Qnique 21 Pro with a 10 foot frame. I love it and can do much fancier quilting on it than I did before. No more struggling to baste a large quilt on the floor and cram it through the 9 inch harp of my sit down.
I
bought it on sale with zero percent interest for 5 years.
Buy it if you have the space ( mine displayed much more of my sewing supplies than I thought) and the money. Shop around for the sales and consider used if you have a way to transport it. For me the appeal of making 0 percent payments and free delivery made new a better choice.
it did take me almost a week to carry it upstairs and set it up by myself. I did need help lifting the machine onto the carriage but otherwise I was able to put it together by myself.
so consider setup when you make your choice. Some companies will come to your house and setup for you.
good luck and let us know what you decide.
cindy
Old 12-21-2023, 07:18 AM

Here is what I learned in the year and a half since purchasing my longarm.
You must have adequate space for it. It takes over an entire room.
I love the free motion of it, but a stitch regulator is a must.
I purchased mine on ebay (shock!) from a dealer. It was a trade-in on a larger model. Don’t overlook used models.
I have learned from MANY sources on the web and utube the how-toos. They are invaluable resources!
I finished many UFO quilts and am in love with my longarm.
I have a Gammel Superior ultra, with a 12’ table. It had 40 hours of use when I purchased it.
I have free motion quilted 25 quilts since ownership.
My husband convinced me to take the plunge and is now building me a dedicated quilting room.
Good luck!

Old 12-21-2023, 02:44 PM

When I retired I bought a Handi Quilter Avante with Prostitcher. I love it. After seven years I became more adventurous in my quilting and thought I realy could use a larger throat. Came into some money unexpectedly and upgraded to the Forte and ProStitcher Premium. I love all the new bells and whistles.