Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can 1/4yds be used when pattern calls for 3/8? >

Can 1/4yds be used when pattern calls for 3/8?

Can 1/4yds be used when pattern calls for 3/8?

Old 08-23-2014, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by NHSuz View Post
Hello, I'm new to this forum & happy to be included. Thank you! I wish to attempt the Rosalie pattern by Valorie Wells & I'd like to make the smaller sized quilt 56" x 77" using the hex template for the larger-sized quilt 78" x 86". My stash is full of perfect quarter yards; however, the larger hexagons call for 3/8ths. Believe it or not, I'm terrible at certain fractions! Will I be okay, cutting the larger sized hexes from 1/4yrds, or will I make a frustrating mess? Many thanks to all of you!! -NHSuz
P.S.- not sure how to attach photos yet.
We don't know the cut size of your hexagon, so we can't answer. the difference between 1/4 (AKAS 2/8) and 3/8 is 4 1/2 inches.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:12 AM

Hello, I'm new to this forum & happy to be included. Thank you! I wish to attempt the Rosalie pattern by Valorie Wells & I'd like to make the smaller sized quilt 56" x 77" using the hex template for the larger-sized quilt 78" x 86". My stash is full of perfect quarter yards; however, the larger hexagons call for 3/8ths. Believe it or not, I'm terrible at certain fractions! Will I be okay, cutting the larger sized hexes from 1/4yrds, or will I make a frustrating mess? Many thanks to all of you!! -NHSuz

Here's what I'd do------------but I can make size changes with no sweat----------I'd use hexs that are 8.5 with the seam allowance included Then adjust the number of pieces to meet your size requirement. HOWEVER, since you are matheticaly challenged, this probably wouldn't work for you.

A 1/4 of a yard is 9" and I'd bet you could not count on every piece to be exactly 9". And that is why I suggested making 8 1/2 pieces. And if you're fabric is 42" you'd get 4 pieces from one piece. If your fabric is a bit wider than 42" you might get 5 pieces
Old 08-23-2014, 07:22 AM
Power Poster

Welcome to the board! As you can see many suggestions. The layouts seem pretty good. Go with what works for you! I have nothing to suggest as they've already been done! LOL!!
Old 08-23-2014, 07:22 AM

Okay, calculations done. I am assuming when you say perfect 1/4 yards that you mean 9' x WOF (usually about 42) and NOT fat quarters. Although you'd still get 4 8 1/2 hexes from a fat quarter . The 8 1/2 would be WITH seam allowance.

At any rate, 56" wide would be seven 8" finished hexes,

Increase your length 3" to 80" and you'd need 10 rows of hexs. So you'd need 70 hexes total
Old 08-23-2014, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
two fat quarters DO have more square inches than a 3/8 yard width of fabric cut.
Two fat quarters equal a half-yard width of fabric cut.

HOWEVER - do as the others have suggested - lay out some pieces and see how it goes. The shape of the pieces makes a huge difference in what will work.
1/2 (akas 4/8) will always be more than 3/8. The problem here is if the pieces are big enough for the template.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:48 AM

Welcome to the Board! I find that everyone here is friendly and helpful.

I do want to add that when you are figuring out if you have enough yardage, you need to think about the straight of grain. If your fabric needs straightening and you are making your patches on the straight of grain, the fabric might be off grain and you'd require more fabric to make them fit.

However, since you don't have more fabric, if the fabric is off grain, starch it well before cutting the patches. The starch will hold the fabric in place until you get it sewn into a block. Once sewn in blocks, being off grain won't matter unless you are planning to enter it into a quilt show.

I've had this happen to me. I bought twice as much fabric as I needed and still the fabric was so off grain I could not cut a single patch on the straight of grain. I think most fabric nowadays is a little off grain because of the way they pull the fabric during processing.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:42 AM

Welcome. Another factor that we don't know is the size of the hexies you need to cut. If they are small you might be able to get more than one row on your fabric because by drawing them onto a grid you would not have any waste because they would butt up against each other. If you cannot butt them together you would have lots of wasted fabric or scraps. I would recommend, as others have, that you draw it out. You can buy lots of cheap paper in rolls to draw on-I just discovered the rolls of paper at Lowe's or Home Depot that they use to mask windows when they are going to spray paint the exterior of a house.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:38 AM

1/4 yard is 2/8's, so they are not equal. You are 1/8 yard short. You may be able to cut you hexagon's if your quater yard are fat quarters.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:21 AM

In summary, the as yet unknown critical information that is needed to answer your question accurately is:
1) are your 'perfect' quarter yards fat (18x22) or skinny (9x44)?
2) does 'perfect' refer to the fabric being cut precisely on grain or simply being the ideal fabric prints you want for this quilt pattern?
3) what is the unfinished size of the hexagons you need to cut from your fabric, flat side to flat side?

I respectfully disagree with Pennyhal's comment about it being okay to cut hexagons off grain. Grain always matters; starch or no starch, show or no show.

Welcome to QB from a fellow Granite Stater.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:34 AM

*** 1/4 yard = 2/8

*** You will be 1/8 short