Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can anybody help me with this tabletopper >

Can anybody help me with this tabletopper

Can anybody help me with this tabletopper

Old 02-20-2012, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
here's a great video by Marcia Baker of Alicia's Attic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VGNcDoI-R8
Thanks! Great video.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:10 PM

Don't bind it, i created a great Bargello table runner with a stair step edge, sew the backing fabric to the quilt top right sides together and then turn right side out, just an idea, not every quilt has to have a binding.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:52 PM

Have a look at this: http://www.ehow.com/how_4449767_sew-curves.html
Old 02-21-2012, 12:23 AM
QM
Power Poster

That is a very nice quilt and worth the work to make it "right". Go to youtube and see the binding demos. You will be much happier if you take this binding off and start over. In some places, you have sorta gathered the binding onto the quilt. Be sure your binding is starched and pressed before you add it.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:41 AM

I had a problem similar to this one. When I pinned down for quilting it, I started dead center (or in that area) and worked from side to side pushing my fabric (TBB&B - top, back and batting and border) to the sides and top. then when it came time to sew the binding down, everything was straight and even. Hope that helps! Edie
Old 02-21-2012, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
Is the binding bias or straight cut?

If you bias cut the binding you'll have an easier time with the fold on the inside corner and you won't have to clip them like you did.

Also, it looks like you machine stitched the front of the binding, I'm "guessing" you attempted to fold the binding and stitch both front and back at the same time?? Correct me if I'm wrong. But I think this is why you are getting the ripples because you are trying to hold both sides of the binding taught and sew at the same time - and stretching the quilt in the process.

At a minimum you are going to have rip the binding off and make a new one, preferably a bias cut binding so you can turn those inside corners.

Once you have the binding off take a look at the quilt to see if those edges are still rippled. If they are, you should probably block it to get it to lay straight again. I'll be honest, blocking something that shape isn't a chore I relish

When you attach the new binding, sew it to the front first by machine, then fold it over to the back and by hand, whip stitch it to the back. I think with the number of corners you have this will be the easiest and most accurate method to bind.
And just to add to this, when you attach the new bias binding, stretch it just a tiny bit rather than easing. This will prevent those ripples. The nice thing about using bias in a place like yours, is that it will do what you want it to do, rather then fighting you like straight grain binding. Good luck!
Old 02-21-2012, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
here's a great video by Marcia Baker of Alicia's Attic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VGNcDoI-R8

What an awesome tutorial !! Thanks for sharing it with us. I would like that printable 4-page copy of that tutorial. Will have to investigate to see how to get it.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by pinkberrykay View Post
My first thought was bias binding as well. Also check out Sharon Schambers binding the angels youtube video. I just used her technique and it is absolutely amazing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2hWQ5-ZccE
Where do you get that tip that she uses on her washable Elmer's Glue bottle? This is a very interesting technique that I'd like to try on my next top.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by cinnya View Post
I made this for a friend and everything went well until I had to add the binding.
I cannot figure out how to get the binding into the sharp corners. you can see how it ripples if I leave it in one piece, I cut the binding on one side just to see if it would lay straight.
I don't have a pattern I can follow, just seen this runner in a picture.
Needless to say I am so frustrated, I would like to make her another one, because I will not give this one to her.
She doesn't know she is getting one, so I have time to make a new one, if I can get the binding right.
Arghhhhh I meant to post that in the main forum...sorry
I am betting that the angles are cut on the bias as well. If that is the case after "unsewing" stay stitch the edges just inside the binding area after pressing everything flat again. Also you will have to clip into the inside corners in order to get the bias to lay flat after reapplying the bias. It can be done I applied bias to a DWR for my nephews wedding and it came out beautiful. I followed Fons and Porters method of sewing the binding on the back and then bring around to the front a stitching by machine. It worked beautifully. Good luck and keep us informed how it comes out.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:51 AM

that is a really beautiful topper! i think you will get the binding right and your friend will love it. i am a new sewer/quilter and you should see the mess i am trying to quilt now!! i don't know what i am doing but am real glad i have FIVE seam rippers. that is my plan for today - seam ripping. just remember - never quit and this is just a way to learn. i understand frustration after you work so hard to make it right, but don't be hard on yourself for imperfections in your quilt. it is all good! i am way too new to this to give you actual advice that you can use to fix the binding but thank the lord there are so many good quilters here that are willing to help! good luck !!