Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can anybody help me with this tabletopper >

Can anybody help me with this tabletopper

Can anybody help me with this tabletopper

Old 02-21-2012, 10:45 AM

One speaker we had at the Guild calls that the Frog Stitch! Rip-it, rip-it etc!! We've all been there and done that to learn a lesson, oh well, guess that's life. Good luck.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by cinnya View Post
TA DA......
Ok ,after taking the binding of for the the third and fourth time in some places , I staystiched the whole runner, because you could tell the poor runner was not happy looking
I then followed the video and finally finished handsewing the binding on late last night.It is not perfect by a long run, but it looks sooooo much better.
Thank you all so much for all the advice, tips and for all the help . I could not have it done without you all.

You girls are the best
Your table runner is beautiful. You did a great job fixing your binding with the inside angles. Glad it all worked out for you. Nice job.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:20 PM

Check out Heirloom Creations in Sioux Falls,SD. Got to YouTube and check the different videos Sarah has there, especially about binding. She's good!
Old 02-21-2012, 02:08 PM

What a wonderful thread! Bookmarked the videos for future use.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:15 PM

Hi Cinnya
To do the inside binding can be a pain. You do wnat to use a bias binding, but can get by without it. There are a couple of good youtube videos on binding inside corners.
Here is one that is really good:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VGNc...eature=channel
doing inside angles by Marci Baker

Here's a link to Marci's videos on her website (Alicia's attic)

http://www.online-quilting.com/video...als/index.html

Marci has a lot of info on her site.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:37 PM

Cinnya,

What a beautiful table runner! Aren't you glad you stayed with it?
Old 02-21-2012, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
here's a great video by Marcia Baker of Alicia's Attic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VGNcDoI-R8
That is a great video. Very clear instructions and visual. Thanks.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:20 PM

I have never attempted an angle that sharp. Whoever offered the pattern should have spelled out how to do that, IMO. I just wanted to add that I think the work up to that point was beautiful and is well worth saving. Just my hunch is that a bias will not be enough to go around those sharp turns. What I would try would be to cut the binding at each corner with enough extra to turn under and fold a miter in it by hand in those spots. Use washable school glue (which is a thick starch) and your iron to anchor the binding where you want it to be and then machine sew. Another option might be to hide the corners with something decorative, such as yo-yos, but those would have to be hand sewn, I think, and some of the puckering extends out beyond the corners. I hope your friend is patient because it will be worth the wait whatever way you try!
Old 02-22-2012, 07:32 PM

I made a braided table runner with sawtooth edges (not prairie points) that I did bias binding on. Talk about lots of sharp inner corners! What you have to do to get it to lay flat is to create a mitered type corner at each spot where it dips in. So you have the binding make a sharp point at the extreme inner edge, then create a fold that takes up the slack as it gets to the edge of the binding (point fold one way on front and opposite way on back of binding). It is not particularly difficult to do, but is time consuming, as it really needs to be done by hand for best results.

Yours will be beautiful!
Old 02-22-2012, 07:35 PM

Hi - I have just had the same problem with a "prayer flag" that we are making in class. My instructor said to cut into the material and backing etc to the stitching in the corner beiung very careful not to cut too far. A bit scary the first corner but IT WORKED !! my bits now sit flat and neatly. Good luck!