Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can anyone give me an idea please ? >

Can anyone give me an idea please ?

Can anyone give me an idea please ?

Old 02-25-2016, 09:18 AM
Power Poster

Some great ideas here! I have nothing!
Old 02-25-2016, 09:55 AM

Thank you all so much for some wonderful ideas and I haven't made my mind up yet - but lots to think about. You are all so great - thank you all
Old 02-25-2016, 09:59 AM

How about a shamrock?
Old 02-25-2016, 03:41 PM

How about a 10 green layer cake with a candle at the top.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:41 PM
Power Poster

One of the most beautiful quilts I ever saw was a green and white double irish chain done with two greens and a white with pink roses in the center of each crossing. Very easy and stunning.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:52 PM

A Shamrock, a clover -- they are not as complicated as a tree. But if you want to do a tree, search for tree coloring pages and you come up with a page like this: http://www.coloring.ws/trees.htm . You can print out the tree you like and work out a pattern from there. I can't draw so I rely on the coloring pages a lot.
Old 02-26-2016, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by DottyD View Post
Our quilt group is ten years old next year and a challenge has been set to celebrate this. The group has the word "GREEN" in their name and the challenge is to incorporate that colour with an idea. The size is 10" x 30" ( so three ten inch blocks ) in whatever style you want. I am not an art quilt girl and I did think of a pieced tree design of some sort. I am really finding it difficult to come up with anything so thought I would ask you all. Thank you so much for any ideas you may have.
The words from your challenge that stand out to me are: "Ten" years old," Celebration", and "Green" using 3 ten inch blocks. What about a birthday theme.... a cake fused to one block with 10 candles to represent the 10 year mark of the guild. The candles could be green. Another block could be your favorite quilt block to represent you as part of the guild.(using green fabrics) and the final block can be a lucky 4 leaf clover or shamrock to represent how lucky you feel to be a part of the guild. Or one block can be used for members to autograph (in a green pen of course.)) Have fun with the challenge and let us know what you decide.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:14 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I googled images and came up with these:

https://www.google.com/search?safe=a...35.yB26_4g1tIE

https://www.google.com/search?safe=a...95.MpyjnYFAIM0

Jan in VA
Old 02-26-2016, 08:40 PM

Many great ideas here. I'd recommend going off the beaten path a little. If you're comfortable with applique, maybe do something Hawaiian. If you like paper piecing, choose one of the patterns out there, possible a geometric.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:09 PM

When I think of a "Challenge Quilt," the finished project and interpretation is up to the participant. They can use applique, piecing, embroidery, embellishments or whatever they want.

Here are a couple challenges that I've participated in...

We were given a bag with 2 coordinating fabrics and challenged to use the two fabrics, and at least 24 4-patches.

Everyone got a magazine (wide variety), and someone drew out a page number. And we had to make a quilt representing that page in the book. Some pages just had words, while others had pictures.

We were given a choice of fine art masterpieces, and challenged to make a quilt that represented that art piece.

You could just have the participants create a green quilt. Do you remember making color poetry in school? Have them show what green means to them. example:

"Yellow's the color of a new baby chick.
A spark that flies as the switch goes click.
The big, bright sun And the feeling inside.
The ripening of grain on the country side."