Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can I Cut a Hole In My Sewing Table and Make It a Flatbed? >

Can I Cut a Hole In My Sewing Table and Make It a Flatbed?

Can I Cut a Hole In My Sewing Table and Make It a Flatbed?

Old 08-13-2011, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Sewfine
Now I know why it is so hard for me to do free motion quilting. I need to look into getting me a table made for my Husqvarna.
ditto
Old 08-13-2011, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
Now I know why it is so hard for me to do free motion quilting. I need to look into getting me a table made for my Husqvarna.
ditto
You might look at this arrow table. They have a Gidget I and a Gidget II, depending on the size of your machine, not a lot of sewing area but you can put other tables next to it or behind it to increase your sewing area and the price is definitely right! And it's portable, you could take it to a class!

You can get it cheaper than it is on this site if you shop around but there's a good video on this site.

http://www.daystyledesigns.com/sewingtable.htm
Old 08-13-2011, 04:31 PM

You might look at this arrow table. They have a Gidget I and a Gidget II, depending on the size of your machine, not a lot of sewing area but you can put other tables next to it or behind it to increase your sewing area and the price is definitely right! And it's portable, you could take it to a class!

You can get it cheaper than it is on this site if you shop around but there's a good video on this site.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by amma
My DB is going to cut the hole in mine, and then make a box for my machine to sit in so it is flush with the table. He will make the insert to go around my machine :D:D:D

There will be 3 inserts made, so all 3 of my machines can be used in it :wink:
NOW YOU HAVE WHAT I CALL A "KEEPER"!!!!
Old 08-13-2011, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by lalaland
I have a great quilting table with an extension that I use for sewing and quilting. I have a large Sew Steady table that I can use when I FMQ, but I would like to to be able to have the machine on top of the table for garment sewing, and flush with the table for quilting.

My DH is pretty handy, he can cut a hole to accomodate my machine, and I know there is a universal mechanism out there that can be installed in a table but do you think I can find it??

Anyone ever done this? Anyone have any suggestions? Can anyone tell me where to look for instructions or maybe there is a tutorial out there?
Margarita McManus has a tutorial for making a wonderful sewing table... I have made 2 of them, one for my Juki and piecing, and one for my Kenmore and quilting... I love them...Here's the link:

http://www.squidoo.com/sewingtable
Old 08-13-2011, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by BrendaY
I have a great quilting table with an extension that I use for sewing and quilting. I have a large Sew Steady table that I can use when I FMQ, but I would like to to be able to have the machine on top of the table for garment sewing, and flush with the table for quilting.

My DH is pretty handy, he can cut a hole to accomodate my machine, and I know there is a universal mechanism out there that can be installed in a table but do you think I can find it??

Anyone ever done this? Anyone have any suggestions? Can anyone tell me where to look for instructions or maybe there is a tutorial out there?
Margarita McManus has a tutorial for making a wonderful sewing table... I have made 2 of them, one for my Juki and piecing, and one for my Kenmore and quilting... I love them...Here's the link:

http://www.squidoo.com/sewingtable
This is the setup I am currently putting together for FMQ using my Brother 1500. Now I want a smaller setup for regular sewing.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:25 PM

ditto

I just got the Gidget and it is great! I was able to order it through Meijer and it was delivered to my house within 2 days. Very affordable and a great table for a small space - which is what I had.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:02 AM

ditto

Ii've seen them online but are they really sturdy?
Old 08-14-2011, 04:12 AM

just watch video...I think I like it...Might have to order one
Old 08-14-2011, 05:23 AM

I did some research on the Gidget prices and best deal is with Allbrands.com 99.00 free shipping...can't beat that