Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can I make anything pretty out of this? >

Can I make anything pretty out of this?

Can I make anything pretty out of this?

Old 10-31-2012, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by conniemaried View Post
Thanks, everyone for your ideas and encouragement. I like Dina's idea, except some of my scraps aren't long enough to make strips ( my bridesmaids dress scraps, especially, which I didn't even know existed!) Last night I was looking at www.epatterns.com and liked the lap quilt pattern "Flower Beds." It has 4 1/2" squares and 9x4 1/2 rectangles, and sashed all around. I think this would showcase the individual fabrics well. Would you look at this and see what you think? Thanks again.
Did you really mean this link or should it be.....E Patterns Central ???????
http://www.e-patternscentral.com/det...d=9131&cat_id=
Old 10-31-2012, 08:01 AM

Do a preliminary sorting. Sort by color. Or sort by type of print. Then lay your piles out so you can see what you have.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees View Post
Did you really mean this link or should it be.....E Patterns Central ???????
http://www.e-patternscentral.com/det...d=9131&cat_id=
Oops, sorry! Yes, it's E Patterns Central. I'm embarrassed. Thanks for the correction.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by conniemaried View Post
Oops, sorry! Yes, it's E Patterns Central. I'm embarrassed. Thanks for the correction.
Nothing to be embarrassed about, just wanting to make sure I was looking at the right web site....
I do like the simple strips look as that will really really showcase the fabrics and the sashing will combine everythin. IMHO
Old 10-31-2012, 10:34 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I love your "Boyd's Bear" in your Avitar. I collect Boyd's Bears and Cats also. Your's is so cute!!!!
Old 10-31-2012, 11:23 AM

Deborah, I like the Flower Beds pattern. I think it would work well. (Just so you know, you could make the quilt I made without making strips. In the first one, which is hard to see, some of the "strips" are made up of smaller pieces sewn together, and not all of the strips are 1/2 inch wide. I made that one out of scraps of all sizes when our guild had "grab bags" for us to take and create charity quilts from. All I had was a stack of very strange sized pieces of fabric. I sewed them together randomly...not really strips, and then cut them into 10 inch squares. I had to use my own white fabric for stashing, but that was allowed for that particular challenge.)

I was reading about scrappy quilts on another thread, and it sent me to quilterscache.com, to a pattern called Sunny Lanes. I don't think that pattern is what you are looking for, but it might be. I intend to make one like it, I think.

However, I like the Flower Beds pattern too. I may have to make it too.

Enjoy the process, whatever you decide...and I know your grandmother will love it!

Dina
Old 10-31-2012, 12:35 PM

I agree about not mixing the heavier fabrics with the thinner ones in the overall construction of the quilt, but if you do a scrappy quilt and really want to use all fabrics, how about using the thicker fabrics (the corduroy and the knits) for borders and/or blocks in the corners where the borders would meet? Good luck with your quilt. I'm sure your mother will cherish it!
Old 10-31-2012, 01:47 PM

I make a lot of memory quilts out of clothing. I use everything the people bring me in the quilt. Heavy or light fabric. Denim & silk ties altogether. I just but different thickness of fuseable webbing on the backs of the thinner fabrics. Have had no problem making them play nicely together this way. I agree that the flower beds pattern would work great for you & would be fast & easy.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:49 AM

[QUOTE=SandScraps;5624981]I would sort them first. Were they mine, I'd cut 2½" strips. Sew together 6 strips alternating dark and light. The mediums could be either dark or light depending on its neighbours. Then cut the strips into 2½" strips again. This gives you hundreds of little six-in-a-row squares (strips). Now you line up these new little strips from different stripsets, again alternating dark and light squares and sew together six strips to make a block of about 12". The blocks can be attached to each other with or without sashing or you can add some picture blocks or strips. Since the fabric represents clothes you both wore, it will take her on a trip down memory lane. You could also use short strips and even single 2½" squares if the pieces are smaller.

Would love to see how your quilt turns out. Enjoy the process.[/QUOTE

I did something like that with flannel from shirts of my friends late husband. I picked a solid that blended with those crazy scraps. I used 3 strips and added a strip of that color top and bottom. Then cut in blocks and alternated placement and use the color (red) as the first border. I also added a border of leftover squares cut from strips. I think it helped to hold thing together and kept it from being too busy. This is on line some where but I forget the name.
Attached Thumbnails edsquilt.jpg  

Last edited by bobquilt3; 11-01-2012 at 04:52 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 11-01-2012, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by janedee View Post
how about a 'crazy' quilt - these traditionally use any type of fabric
I agree. Crazy quilts are usually pieced from all kinds of fabric, and it would be really fun to make. You could assemble crazy blocks of whatever size you want, and maybe (or maybe not) use sashing between the blocks. Great opportunity to use the decorative stitches on your machine.