Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can I teach myself to sew on a Singer Red Eye? >

Can I teach myself to sew on a Singer Red Eye?

Can I teach myself to sew on a Singer Red Eye?

Old 06-25-2011, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
You can do ANYthing you want to do!! ;) I have faith in you that you'll learn everything you need to know...it's all based on the degree of "want2"
I second that!
Old 06-25-2011, 04:34 AM

My engineer son happened to read the board one day. He said it was no wonder we women outlived the men. We were using our brain constantly and always ready to learn new techniques. We're also great multi-taskers.......sewing, drinking coffee, watching TV, listening to music and petting the animals.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:26 AM

I learned to sew with needle only into paper, then with lines, then with thread and one piece of fabric then two pieces of fabric. Take your time and you can do it.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:48 AM

You might try contacting the company and see if they can send you an instruction book. I lost mine in a move and they charged me $5 to send the instuction book.
IdahoSandy
Old 06-25-2011, 07:04 AM

There are two manuals that you can download for the 66 at no charge from www.safemanuals.com One is instructions for timing and adjusting the other is an instruction manual.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:07 AM

I learned to sew on a treadle machine and I recall turning the wheel with my right hand, to get it started. I love the rhythm of the machine when it gets started. Nice thing is is the power goes out, you can still sew!!! Jan
Old 06-25-2011, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by bonnielass
I learned to sew with needle only into paper, then with lines, then with thread and one piece of fabric then two pieces of fabric. Take your time and you can do it.
I had forgotten about the paper. That's how we started to. Oh well, that was over 50 years ago!
Old 06-25-2011, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by mar32428
My engineer son happened to read the board one day. He said ----We're also great multi-taskers.......sewing, drinking coffee, watching TV, listening to music and petting the animals.
I think your son has been snooping in my window :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :mrgreen:
Old 06-25-2011, 09:31 AM

Thank you everyone, I never expected so many ideas. I love this retirement, now i can learn new and interesting things with all the information available. I do have the green Singer book that came with machine back in 1927 for maintainance... willl check on the instruction one. Thanks again

Judy...
Originally Posted by Diamondrose
There are two manuals that you can download for the 66 at no charge from www.safemanuals.com One is instructions for timing and adjusting the other is an instruction manual.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:44 AM
Power Poster

I put my right foot up on the foot plate(pedal) where my toes are almost at the edge.Then my left foot goes to the bottom where my heel is slightly off the foot plate. Then I push down with the toes of my right foot then down with the toes of my left foot and just keep going.Some people put both feet in the middle and us their toes and then the heels.I can't seem to get s good rythm that way.Whatever works for you.Maybe try both ways.Check the internet for treadle quilting lessons and see what you can find. Good Luck and happy treadling. Mary