Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can I vent? >

Can I vent?

Can I vent?

Old 06-12-2010, 08:57 PM
Google Goddess

Sorry to hear about your problems, give it a few days and go back to it and maybe you can get it figured out
Old 06-13-2010, 05:16 AM

Whatever you do will be appreciated by your MIL.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by dsb38327
I encountered a situation almost mirroring yours.
The embroidery was far from the edge so that was no problem. I sashed them as they were. She was so proud of those quilts.
When I think of how Mother felt about her quilts and I look at your Mother-in-Laws squares I do have a suggestion. Measure her largest square. Find a fabric that will enhance her fabric and thread. Cut squares 1" larger on each side than her largest square. Fancy stitch her squares on top of the new fabric squares. The Fancy stitch around all 4 sides of her square will keep it from fraying with use and wash. Then you will have squares you can quilt with.
That's what I would do after seeing how much pride my mother had in the result of her quilts. She made one for each of her 6 children./Regards, Dorothy
That's a really good suggestion. Once you have blocks all the same size, then you can sew them together to make a quilt top. It's certainly a puzzle to try and fit all those unequal sized pieces together otherwise.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by 978gray
dsb's suggestion with the Pellon Wunder is a really good one.

I think it is wonderful that your MIL took the time and effort to be so thoguhtful. Anything you can do to enhance the blocks is fantastic.

I'm sure she will love it. The hand embroidery really will give the quilt character. It will be a quilt cherished for years to come.
As I was musing about these blocks last night I thought "the blocks need to be fused together somehow but what would be the best thing to do it with?"
Great minds work together! :lol: I have not been introduced to Pellon Wunder until now. Thanks,Dorothy
Old 06-13-2010, 06:12 AM

When I receive blocks of various sizes, I starch and press well. Then measure the largest one and decide if they can pe arranged in a pattern, if not, decide on a block size. Next put a border around each one and trim so they are all the same size. The borders can be different fabrics or the same depending on the final look you want. If needed, the bordered blocks can be sashed to add interest.