Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can I wash my king-sized quilt..... >

Can I wash my king-sized quilt.....

Can I wash my king-sized quilt.....

Old 01-17-2014, 01:20 PM
Power Poster

If the quilt has to be really packed in to fit, then there can be a risk of insufficient water to dilute any dye bleeds. If you prewashed all of the fabric and know none of it bleeds, then the risk is smaller. (There is still a small risk of "crocking".)

When washing a machine in a top-loader, it's a good idea to not allow the machine to agitate. Stop the machine and hand agitate instead (by pushing down on the quilt). When finished, advance to the spin cycle. Do the same for the rinse cycle. Spin cycles do not damage quilts, but center post agitators are quite hard on them during the agitation cycles.

I would not do a first wash in a domestic front-loader (which is what I have) unless you can adjust it to use lots of water. You typically want lots of water in the first wash to dilute any bleeds sufficiently (and also to soften any glue). I always give my quilts their first wash at the laundromat in the biggest front loading machine they have (a smaller front loader for lap quilts). Front loaders are easier on the quilt, but domestic front loaders usually don't use enough water for that first wash.

It is only rag quilts that some laundromats don't like because of all the lint that is generated. I have never heard of a laundromat rejecting regular quilts.

If the laundromat is far away, do you have a friend or relative nearby with a large capacity washing machine?

Edit: I want to add that you should not use a dryer if you have to really pack the quilt in to get it to fit. I did that once with a mattress cover, and it actually burned sports into the cover from where the cover touched the air holes continuously. The cover was so tightly packed it couldn't change positions within the dryer.

Last edited by Prism99; 01-17-2014 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:21 PM
Power Poster

My aunt had a couple large quilts. She would just gather all her king-sized anything washables and go to the Laundromat and use their ex-large capacity washers. Then one day she came home to a brand new heavy duty ex-large capacity washer and dryer set. It was an early special day gift.
I vote for the dry run also.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:34 PM

*** Probably not (too big).
*** I have a King size and I have to take it to the pay laundromat.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:06 PM

My LA quilter did a very large king for me just recently. She told me to take it to a laundromat. I don't even know of any in my area but I will eventually need to find one. I don't think my top-loader will handle it even tho it isn't a small one.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:55 PM
Power Poster

See if it fits nicely in the machine without water in your top load washer. Are you sure you don't have any bleeders? The more cramped it is, the more likely it is you will get colour transfer if you have a bleeder. If your machine is too small, you could wash it in the bathtub.
Fill the tub half full of lukewarm water and a gentle soap. Lower the folded quilt into it and agitate the folded quilt with your hands until you figure the glue is gone. Let out the water and then put in more water to rinse. Let the water drain out compressing out the extra water. Lift the quilt out into a laundry basket and take it to your washer and put it through the spin cycle. Check to make sure you don't have any bleeds before drying.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:52 PM

I wash my king-sized bed quilt (super large, hangs down 12" from the top) in my front loading washer, a mid-sized LG brand. It washes fine. I do have challenges getting it dry though. I end up turning it on 20 minutes low temp, take it out and rearrange it, do another 20 minutes, repeat until dry. It generally takes an hour, but I do have to rearrange it regularly.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:11 PM

I wash both my king size quilts in mine I have a top loader but has no aggitator in the center also it is a super size drum. Never any issues.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:01 PM
Power Poster

top loader , large capacity, I have . but I don't agitate them much. I soak and spin out, fill and soak and spin again.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:54 AM

Wow what great information. I have the same concerns that many of you voiced. I don't think this fabric was washed. I made it in a class and she pre-cut everything and gave us pieces to re-cut and put together which I know I didn't wash. So I am concerned about bleeding dyes. Also, drying it will be a problem in my regular dryer even though I think it is considered large capacity. It is about 20 years old though so not a modern "large capacity one." Thank you all for your input. I am thinking a trip out of town to the nearest laundromat is in order!! It's been sitting on a chair for months now. Time to use that baby! Thanks and have a great day all!
Old 01-18-2014, 10:07 AM

Ah, great idea! Thanks for the tip! I'm about to wash a king with a flannel back!

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
Make a dry run! Try putting the quilt in the washer with out starting it... that should answer most of your question.