Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can I wash my king-sized quilt..... >

Can I wash my king-sized quilt.....

Can I wash my king-sized quilt.....

Old 01-17-2014, 11:56 AM

Smile Can I wash my king-sized quilt.....

in my regular washing machine? I often wash about 6 pairs of jeans plus a couple of sweatshirts at a time in it but it is not an extremely large washer. I have been scared to try! I wanted to use a washateria but we don't have one in our town and to go out of town and do that would be very time consuming!
If any of you have washed your extra large quilt without problems please let me know. I want to wash it to get the Elmer's out of it. Thanks so much in advance!
Old 01-17-2014, 12:03 PM

Make a dry run! Try putting the quilt in the washer with out starting it... that should answer most of your question.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:08 PM

Well, I have a maytag and I wash all of mine in there. [king & Queen & twin] Not all at once.LOL You may have to give it 2 runs to get all of it out, but I don't think it will be hurt.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:24 PM
Power Poster

I would go to the local Laundromat. Who wants to take any risk? Plumbers are very expensive now a days (unless you're married to one !!)
Old 01-17-2014, 12:26 PM
Power Poster

I wash my largest quilts in my home washing machine, but it is large capacity. I agree with Lori and the dry run. If it fits in the washer without too much compaction, it should be good to go.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:33 PM

I wash all my quilts at home. But I have a large capacity washer. It's larger than the small ones at the laundromat. Note that some laundromats don't want you to wash quilts in their machine. they're afraid that they will disintegrate and make a mess in their machine.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:35 PM
Power Poster

I almost agree with the 'if it fits' idea. If you have a more modern high efficiency machine, a front loader or one that conserves water, there may not be enough water to wash the glue away, or keep any loose dye in suspension so it gets rinsed out.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:48 PM

I take mine to the Laundromat as I don't have a large capacity washer so it wouldn't get very clean or agitate well enough to get clean.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:51 PM
Power Poster

I have a super capacity washer and dryer. I don't own anything king sized, we have a full size bed. The largest I have washed is probably a queen, it washed fine but the drying takes longer as they roll into a roll and I have to keep turning them. I then lay it out onto my glassed topped table to finish drying over night. Seems to me your dryer would be a problem if it did wash okay.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:12 PM

The biggest problem would be bunching up and getting out of balance. This sure irritates my husband so I wash when he is not around. If I have several to wash, I go to the Laundromat and use the front load machines. They don't agitate so I think they are easier on the quilts. I also have a sister with a front load so a good visit gets quilts washed there too.