Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
can a Longarm quilter help me >

can a Longarm quilter help me

can a Longarm quilter help me

Old 09-12-2013, 03:06 PM

by the way...I just noticed that you are from Jennings! I'm originally from Abbeville! Hello fellow Cajun!
Old 09-12-2013, 07:36 PM
Power Poster

One other thing to check is how the top thread is feeding. I don't know about your machine, but on mine the thread stand can turn as I sew, and that affects the feeding of the thread. I ended up velcroing my thread stand to the machine body to keep it aligned while I sew.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:21 AM
Power Poster

If tension and threading are good could be a warped bobbin.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mighty View Post
If tension and threading are good could be a warped bobbin.
Yes! Also, overfilling can warp a bobbin.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:59 AM
Power Poster

This tutorial has made a lot of difference when I start any new project:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1mRhcquZTM

peace
Old 09-13-2013, 12:45 PM

I used to have a problem like this. Sometimes even worse. I think I was moving too fast! Since I have gotten into an even timing, It hasn't happened. When all else fails, try slowing down just a little. )
Old 09-13-2013, 03:54 PM

I recently had the same issue and it was a hard battle to win. Keep at it - there is a solution!
The Jamie Wallen video in a previous message is good - especially for setting the bobbin tension - and this is another one of the best videos I've found:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZBNU...ure=plpp_video

It looks like your bobbin is correct and it is all top tension. I found that I had better results if I took the thread out of the tension disks each time I changed the tension and then put it back and made sure it was caught in the disks correctly. In this video, she makes multiple spins of the tension dial, but I did better with smaller turns.

I also checked to make sure the needle was placed properly to catch in the hook. I don't have your machine - I have a Nolting - but they say to unthread, take out the bobbin and hand-wind the needle all of the way to the bottom to watch where it stops. One my machine, you should see half of the eye at that placement. They say you could move the needle tiny increments up or down (using the screw as if you were changing the needle) to make sure it is in the right place. Your manual may have this info, too, or in the FAQ on their website.

You can do it - I definitely understand your frustration. Been there - done that!
Old 09-13-2013, 04:03 PM
Power Poster

Interesting. I did a quilt with King Tut variegated and it was the only one I had similar issues with.

Originally Posted by lb70542 View Post
Thank You all for your reply's..This is the back of the quilt. I'm using superior thread King Tut 40 wt. same in bobbin and size 18 needle.The bobbin will stand up in my hand when pulling thread. I also did oil machine. I'm so tired of ripping out.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:22 AM

Aah, I just had this problem myself. You say you changed the needle? Check the alignment of it. The eye should be straight with the front of your foot. Loosen your screw that holds the needle in & I use a corsage pin to hold the needle & adjust. Just turn it in small increments til the loops go away. Once you get it aligned, take a magic marker & mark your foot for the appropriate spot for future reference. By the way, some machines like their needles just a tad off center. Maybe yours does too.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:09 AM

I used KingTut on a previous system w/o any problems. However..with my new system, I have said a few bad words! My dealer said two things that stuck with me...1. Some threads don't play well together. Time and experience will help with that...not that this will help TODAY, but take notes. Likely when you figure this out, it will have made a HUGE impression and you won't do THAT again! (ask me how I know!) 2. The bigger the weight gap between top and bobbin threads, the more problems you will have. You don't have to match your threads, but they should be close in weight. I think that was my problem with the King Tut. I didn't want to use it in the bobbin, so I tried SoFine. NOT...when I changed to a Star thread I had in my thread drawer, the problems pretty much vanished.

Take a deep breath...try a quilt sandwich till you are happy...maybe a glass of wine?? ::;wink:::