Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
can a Longarm quilter help me >

can a Longarm quilter help me

can a Longarm quilter help me

Old 09-12-2013, 12:49 PM

Default can a Longarm quilter help me

What do I do..I have a Handi Quilter Avante and I have a cleaned my machine, adjust bobbin tension, changed needle i am quilting in stitch regulated mode..what else can i do??
Attached Thumbnails dscf1031.jpg   dscf1033.jpg  
Old 09-12-2013, 12:55 PM

Have you tried a different spool or brand of thread?
Old 09-12-2013, 12:57 PM
Power Poster

change thread- I have found when a new needle and tension is not the issue the thread usually is.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:59 PM
Power Poster

How frustrating for you. I can't help, I don't have a frame but I just finished fmqing a quilt using Glide thread on a sit down machine and didn't have any thread problems at all and usually I have some using other thread. I used the Glide pre wound bobbins with bobbin Genie in the bobbin case. I was thrilled.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:02 PM
Power Poster

What am I looking at, top or bottom? If top goes to the back, top tension is too loose or bottom is too tight. What type of thread is it? shiny type might need a bobbin genie, little cheap disk you put in the bobbin case. Is your needle large enough. I went from a 16 to 18. Is bobbin thread the same as it is in the top or bobbin thread thinner? Is the batting odd? Is the fabric different? Since the thread is bunching I think you might need a bobbin genie. Is the needle in the right way. there is a front and back on these things. sorry you are coping with this, so frustrating. Oiled the tension and the bobbin case a little?

what thread are you using? If it is isocord or glide you will need a bobbin genie or a spring. I could never get the spring to work for me but the bobbin genie did the trick.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:18 PM

Thank You all for your reply's..This is the back of the quilt. I'm using superior thread King Tut 40 wt. same in bobbin and size 18 needle.The bobbin will stand up in my hand when pulling thread. I also did oil machine. I'm so tired of ripping out.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:32 PM

There are a lot of things that could be going wrong here. As above and also could be a out of shape bobbin, like if dropped on the floor, or a bobbin case that has been dropped on the floor and is out of round, or simple the top tension needs to be tightened.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:44 PM
Power Poster

How old is your machine? The check spring in the upper tension mechanism can wear out and lose its springiness. (Not sure about your machine, but on mine it is the wire spring that comes right after I run the thread around the upper tension discs.) When that happens it doesn't pull the bobbin thread up the way it should.

I second the recommendation to try Glide thread. King Tut worked okay in my machine, but Glide is even better.

Also, you might want to try a needle from a different packet. Quality control on production runs of needles can vary, so you could have a bad batch.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:57 PM

I would suggest rethread the machine also take bobbin out check it and put it back in pull bobbin thread to top now pull just bobbin thread does it feel right??? not like it is tugging or too tight, okay now put practice piece on frame and stich a few stitches do you see the bottom thread??? if not increase the tension on top until you do see bobbin thread after stiching when this happens you can back off the top tension so you don't see it on top again. Do this adjusting tension a little at a time hope this helps you if it is a practice piece you won't have to rip out.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:05 PM

This was happening to me too! I ended up re-threading my machine and starting out with the top tension as loose as I could get it and then gradually tightening it up until it finally stopped doing that on the back!