Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can this quilt be saved? >

Can this quilt be saved?

Can this quilt be saved?

Old 11-19-2011, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by linda8450 View Post
No one has questioned the fabric choice for the backing.....it looks to be a verrrry loose weave, perhaps not strudy enough? The LA should have recommended a better one if that is the case.
The fabric as actually a high quality batik, not loose at all. It only looks like that because the pic was taken with a macro lense.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:00 AM

Thank you all for your responses. When I got the pics from the LA of the finished quilt, I was soooooo excited. It took a week to ship and when I opened it I just wanted to cry. Not only was there a major tension problem, but the stitches varied from less than 4/inch to 10-12/inch.

This LA came highly recommended and I couldn't believe the quality of quilting that I got back. I actually sent her two similar quilts at the same time and luckily she hadn't started the second top. I've asked for that back without the quilting as I can't go through this again. I can only conclude that she either rushed through this one or had a "helper" quilt it and then didn't inspect it. She's sending a refund and the second top. I thought about asking her to fix this one but I don't trust that it will be done correctly, so I'll bite the bullet and tear it out. The holes aren't nearly as large as they look in the enlarged picture and I think that they'll close with washing.

Thimblebug6000, that's an excellent idea and I think that I'm going to do this. My friend who was going to get this quilt for Christmas has been following the progress of the similar quilt that I made at the same time and fell in love with the colors and the fabric. I'm so sad that I won't be able to give her the quilt at Christmas as I planned but she will be thrilled knowing that it is coming. I did make two quilted pillows that match the quilt (quilted these myself) so I can send those with the picture of the quilt.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:46 PM

That is a shame. I agree, the quilter should redo the whole job. It looks like there are little holes all over the backing. I
question weather it can be redone. I hope that she/he didn't ruin your quilt. I would be very upset with the whole thing.
There is also a tension problem. I don't understand how the whole quilt can be quilted and the shoddy job not noticed. I
think you should get your money back and the job fixed for free.
Sue
Old 11-19-2011, 07:00 PM
Power Poster

I would take it back get my money back go somewhere else
Old 11-20-2011, 03:54 AM

Sending you a hug. It has to hurt to have put so much time and energy into a project with the expectation that it is just about ready to be gifted then to find out someone didn't take pride in the work they handed back to you. I hope this gets resolved soon for you.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:05 AM

absolutely take it back and demand your money back! The LA that did this type of work and passed it off to you should be ashamed of her/him self 1-for charging you and2-for giving it you you looking that way! I never give my customers their goods until I do a final inspection!That way if there is a problem I can fix it right then.Hope they make it right
Originally Posted by Mona Marie View Post
And you paid good money for this? take it back and make her redo it!
Old 11-20-2011, 04:18 AM

would send or take it back to the LA and asked for it to have it done correctly or a refund and would never give her any more business if this is the quality of her work.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:36 AM

unacceptable...take it back for a refund.....take a pic of the quilt's front and give it as a gift with an explanation to the receiver as to what happenned........good luck
Old 11-20-2011, 04:52 AM

Not good! Her tension was off and she should have never sent it back to you like this. She needs to redo it or refund your money for sure!
Old 11-20-2011, 05:05 AM

In my opinion, it can be saved but not without removing what has been done. As others have suggested . . .If you actually paid to have it done - take it back and have her redo/fix it. If it was a friend - pull it out and find someone to do it properly. She had to have seen the tension issues when advancing the quilt. I have a true novice with my machine - but I am insistent that front and back look good.

I almost hate to say this . . . but you may have to carefully examine the backing after pulling the quilting - if these locations were the worst, you will probably be able to reuse the backing, but check to see if any of the holes are tears in the fabric.

Good luck and am so sorry this happened.