Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Can this be saved? >
  • Can this be saved?

• Can this be saved?

Old 07-14-2015, 12:50 PM
    Power Poster

is kitty sick, most kittys will only do something like that if they were very sick, or something was wrong. maybe they didn't like the idea of a quilt not for them. my kitty always uses the litter box.
    so sorry for this.
    Old 07-14-2015, 12:52 PM
    Power Poster

Oh, good grief!

Have you ever thought about how a garment you buy has been handled by the time you buy it?
    Old 07-14-2015, 01:22 PM
    Power Poster

I would spray with Shout, let it set for a while and gently scrub the spot. Rinse and let dry.
    Old 07-14-2015, 02:01 PM

Genden, I agree with your comments. We all stain our clothes, and we wash them and wear them again, sometimes for years. I sometimes think we have become a nation of germaphobes. If Gramdma's Secret or other stain removers don't work, applique over the stain and gift it anyway.
    Old 07-14-2015, 02:33 PM

If I thought the baby quilt, once washed and stain removed might present any danger at all to the baby, I would say, destroy it. I believe the quilt can be made perfectly sanitary and pathogen free. If the issues of safety and esthetics are met, to me the quilt is giftable.
    Old 07-14-2015, 03:37 PM

Try hair spray,then spray water, then hair spray again. Try using cold water to wet the spot where stain is , then use a bar of soap , rub in spot and leave on for a couple of hours. Wash in cold water and do not put in dryer. Do this a couple of times. Hopefully it will work.
    Old 07-14-2015, 04:20 PM

Good luck removing the stain...I agree with all the advice but I would gift it !
    Old 07-14-2015, 05:03 PM

I have had success with old/tough stains with both Grandma's spot cleaner and Restoration.
    Old 07-14-2015, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by HouseDragon
    Assuming you get the stain out (I also recommend Grandma's Secret Stop Remover), it will be just as clean as anything else for a baby after you finish and wash it.

There's nothing inherently nasty about a cat stain. JMO.
    I agree. Especially if it is an indoor cat, it's almost like a lab animal, not likely to have anything that would make the baby sick. The baby is far more likely to get sick from being handled by many people or taken out into public places when very young. Most of the things that make us sick are species specific according to my children's pediatrician years ago.

There is certainly an "ick" factor, and that's why you don't want to see any stain. If it was my quilt, I would have treated the stain with hydrogen peroxide immediately when it happened. It is extremely effective at removing this type of stain when it's fresh. It will be less effective after the washing, but it's still worth a try. It is a safe disinfectant, also. Test on scraps of your fabric because it can remove organic dyes. If all else fails, I would pull the stitches out and replace that part of the quilt if at all possible rather than sacrifice all the work you put into it.

I have always had pets and have successfully used hydrogen peroxide on stains on a blond carpet that you would not believe could possibly come out. It's better than most fancy cleaners and is very cheap and readily available. Make sure you use a fresh bottle because it looses effectiveness with age.
    Old 07-14-2015, 06:38 PM

My husband's suggestion to avoid stains in the future is to get rid of the cat. Isn't he helpful? (just a joke; don't send me hate mail! ). I sure hope one of the above "solutions" is THE solution to your stain removal problem.