Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can someone explain a Shop Hop to me >

Can someone explain a Shop Hop to me

Can someone explain a Shop Hop to me

Old 09-22-2011, 02:57 PM

going to the mass shop hop next month, with dd ddil & another friend.... love it !!

i have to make a list before i go, because otherwise i just want to buy everything!
Old 09-22-2011, 04:10 PM

They are a blast!!! do a search for shop hop in your area. you get a passport which most of the time costs around $5. sometimes they are free.
You get a list of shops to visit. when you go to the shop you usually get a free gift, goodies and sales for people doing the hop. you get your passport stamped. Once you have visited ALL the shops you turn in your passport to the last shop. Than usually the stores get togther and draw passport for prizes.
get fun !! love going with a group of friends.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:22 PM

one example: 3 shops here in Maine sponsor and line up 12+ to be visited within a specific time...you get a passport ...usually free..sometimes there is a specific pattern and material at the shops each shop making their own sample.....or you can just visit and get the passport signed without buying...drawings offered -sign up at each store and at the end of the time allotted drawings take place...this is basic... it can involve a lot of travel usually we do it in groups..OR we just do it with our local group....leaving at 9am and visiting 3 or 4...having lunch at a specified place...our trip is mapped out...Lots of fun...lots of bonding with one another. :-D
Old 09-22-2011, 05:01 PM

I'm doing my first shop hop in October with someone I met here on the QB! I mentioned it to someone at work and she was totally puzzled...I said it was like a bar hop without the alcohol, just fabric. She thought that was a hoot! (I've never done a bar hop either.)
Old 09-22-2011, 06:16 PM

A friend and I used to go on the shop hop -- one year we hit 54 shops in 4 days (I think we missed a couple of shops). We had a blast -- we bought at least a FQ at each shop. Now, the price of gas and fabric has slowed us down. I created pages for each shop, and we wrote down what we bought and what we liked or disliked about the shop. WE got the shop to stamp our pages too. The following year we only went to the shops we liked.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by FroggyinTexas
Originally Posted by kountrykreation
Originally Posted by butterflies5518
Never participated in one, but they do sound like a lot of fun. They have one in Texas, think it's going on currently, can check out the details here quiltacrosstexas.com The way I understand it, you have to physically visit a predetermined number of quilting shops, in a given area (in this case, the entire state of Texas), and if you manage to visit them all, then you are eligible to win prizes. I seriously considered trying it, thought it might be fun, but at the current cost of gas, and the size of Texas, I calculated that I could just buy the prize cheaper in the long run. Think they also have similar online shop hops as well.
While on vacation a few weeks ago, I stopped in Kerrville, live in Houston and you have your "passport" stamped at the quilt shop. Texas is divided into "regions" so you only have to visit the shops listed. That is only shop I went to as my LQS did not participate this year. But anyways, while at the shop in Kerrville that first Saturday the ideas were swirling, the fabric/patterns flew to my fingertips, met some wonderful ladies, had a blast and pocketbook lighter! I want to do it again....
Can you be 'qualified' for the prize drawings if you only visit one shop? Thought the requirement was to visit at least 4 shops in each region in Texas?
A shop hop tour bus (I think it is a Quilt Across Texas tour) leaves tomorrow from an area store for a two or three day trip to quilt shops and will go to about 20 L QSs within at 200-250 mile radius. Texas is so much bigger than people from out of state who have never been here think, that it is hard for them to imagine that you can't just run down to Houston from El Paso in a couple of hours or drive from Amarillo to Brownsville in a half day. The rhyme goes, "The sun has riz, the sun has set and here we is in Texas yet." I suspect you would have a month to six weeks of hard driving to shop in every quilt shop in Texas no matter how well you planned and you would have to have a ton of money to spend in the quilt shops. AS for visiting 4 shops in each region of Texas, that isn't very likely either unless you live in a kind of "four corners" area. froggyintexas
I don't know all of the specifics about the Quilt Across Texas shop hop, but I know that they have divided the state into several regions and you and participate and be eligible for prizes by visiting all of the shops featured in each region (and it is select stores, not every store in every region) so, even with the size of our state, this is a doable event for most people.

I have participated in the Bluebonnet Shop Hop in my area and at each participating shop you get your passport stamped, get a free FQ, get one pattern for a block for a 12 block quilt, snacks and eligibility for drawings from each store and eligibility for a grand prized if all stores are visited. It's loads of fun--I did it by my self because my sister backed out, went to 12 stores on one day (was a long but fun day).
Old 09-22-2011, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by FroggyinTexas
Originally Posted by butterflies5518
Never participated in one, but they do sound like a lot of fun. They have one in Texas, think it's going on currently, can check out the details here quiltacrosstexas.com The way I understand it, you have to physically visit a predetermined number of quilting shops, in a given area (in this case, the entire state of Texas), and if you manage to visit them all, then you are eligible to win prizes. I seriously considered trying it, thought it might be fun, but at the current cost of gas, and the size of Texas, I calculated that I could just buy the prize cheaper in the long run. Think they also have similar online shop hops as well.
While on vacation a few weeks ago, I stopped in Kerrville, live in Houston and you have your "passport" stamped at the quilt shop. Texas is divided into "regions" so you only have to visit the shops listed. That is only shop I went to as my LQS did not participate this year. But anyways, while at the shop in Kerrville that first Saturday the ideas were swirling, the fabric/patterns flew to my fingertips, met some wonderful ladies, had a blast and pocketbook lighter! I want to do it again....
Can you be 'qualified' for the prize drawings if you only visit one shop? Thought the requirement was to visit at least 4 shops in each region in Texas?
A shop hop tour bus (I think it is a Quilt Across Texas tour) leaves tomorrow from an area store for a two or three day trip to quilt shops and will go to about 20 L QSs within at 200-250 mile radius. Texas is so much bigger than people from out of state who have never been here think, that it is hard for them to imagine that you can't just run down to Houston from El Paso in a couple of hours or drive from Amarillo to Brownsville in a half day. The rhyme goes, "The sun has riz, the sun has set and here we is in Texas yet." I suspect you would have a month to six weeks of hard driving to shop in every quilt shop in Texas no matter how well you planned and you would have to have a ton of money to spend in the quilt shops. AS for visiting 4 shops in each region of Texas, that isn't very likely either unless you live in a kind of "four corners" area. froggyintexas
I don't know all of the specifics about the Quilt Across Texas shop hop, but I know that they have divided the state into several regions and you and participate and be eligible for prizes by visiting all of the shops featured in a single region (and it is select stores, not every store in every region) so, even with the size of our state, this is a doable event for most people.

I have participated in the Bluebonnet Shop Hop in my area and at each participating shop you get your passport stamped, get a free FQ, get one pattern for a block for a 12 block quilt, snacks and eligibility for drawings from each store and eligibility for a grand prized if all stores are visited. It's loads of fun--I did it by my self because my sister backed out, went to 12 stores on one day (was a long but fun day).
Old 09-22-2011, 06:18 PM

I'm glad you asked....now I know too and it sounds like fun.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:37 PM

One is advertised on quiltersquest.org. It's conveniently over Veterans Day holiday.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:30 PM

I have gone to the local Shop hop for the past 10
years here in Central Oregon. Since there are a lot of small towns here, we do some traveling/ From Prineville, to Terrebone. to Bend, To Madras, to Sisters to Crescent/ Each shop gives a fat quarter refreshments, and a mystery quilt pattern that each store has a part. They are a LOT of fun. There is a drawing for $50. material, a bernina sewing machine. And of course refreshments at each shop. Fun