Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can someone explain a Shop Hop to me >

Can someone explain a Shop Hop to me

Can someone explain a Shop Hop to me

Old 09-22-2011, 07:51 PM

Jan, I was a participant in that first Shop HOP! And many after that. What fun! It's a great way to see what the other LQS have. But I've gotten older and gasoline is so expensive that I no longer go. But for the younger quilters, it can be a real experience.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:35 PM

Sounds like a really good time. Thanks for the explanations.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:04 PM

i always wondered what the shop hops were now i know. thanks for posing and answering the questions. inquiring minds wanted to know now we are informed.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by kountrykreation
Never participated in one, but they do sound like a lot of fun. They have one in Texas, think it's going on currently, can check out the details here quiltacrosstexas.com The way I understand it, you have to physically visit a predetermined number of quilting shops, in a given area (in this case, the entire state of Texas), and if you manage to visit them all, then you are eligible to win prizes. I seriously considered trying it, thought it might be fun, but at the current cost of gas, and the size of Texas, I calculated that I could just buy the prize cheaper in the long run. Think they also have similar online shop hops as well.
What my quilt group does is to hire a bus and enjoy the journey to different stores. It usually costs us about
$15Aus for the whole day. We take our own food with us which leaves us extra money for more fabric.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:58 AM

I've done this too....it is fun...Maine is a big state...I think only 3-4 person completed that particular time...was a big challenge...
Old 09-23-2011, 04:03 AM

Hi,
I just finished a shop hop in my area. There were 9 shops that participated. This hop had a chapter story with each block you picked up. You can see how each shop used the nine blocks in a quilt at this site "www.quiltersfling.com". I enjoy shop hops because the different shop may carry different materials than I might find at my local shop and they have different quilt on display.

Donna C. Ohio
Old 09-23-2011, 06:37 AM

Shop hops are SOOO much fun especially if you go with friends. It is great chance to see shops that you have never been to before or even knew that the existed. There can be several or many shops in the hop. (last one I went to had 7). the shops included in the hop are listed and are not always in the same town but ususally withing reasonable driving distance. There is usually a theme for the hop and each shop gives out a block pattern. Some shops will show you a sample of the finished quilt using all or only their block or as the last one I went on it was a mystery quilt and at the last shop you got the finishing instructions. The idea is to go to all shops in the hop within the a specific time frame. At the 1st shop when you sign up you get a "passport" that is stamped at each shop you go to. Usually each shop has a drawing for a prize. After you have completed all shops you turn in your passport and get entered in for the "grand" prize. Some hops cost money and other no cost. Yes I usually buy at most shops but It is really fun to see all the different fabric and patterns each shop carries. It seems that shops do not carry the same fabrics. So much fabric and so little money. Try a hop if you have on locally and HAVE FUN!!!!!! Remember-The one who dies with the most fabric wins!!!!!
Old 09-23-2011, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by annthreecats
I'll probably never get a chance to participate in one because we only have two quilting stores in my town and they are both very small, but I would love to know what goes on during a Shop Hop.
I live in a small town, too. Recently 3 other quilters and I planned an overnight trip to a shop hop advertised in the surrounding counties. We went to 14 shops in 2 days and spent the night ($17 apiece) in a motel. Our gasoline share was less than $15 because we used a small car. We organized the route beforehand and visited shops we had never been to. It was wonderful. The shops had really outdone themselves with their samples and displays. We each received a free pattern and at the last shop the completing instructions. We registered at each shop for a gift basket to be given away and also for a grand prize at the end of the Shop Hop. There were no passport chrgs for this hop. Refreshments were available at each shop and oftentimes they were homemade and made the shop smell luscious. It was a great experience. It doesn't have to be out-of-sight expensive. Hope you get to go, too! :-)
Old 09-23-2011, 07:17 AM
Power Poster

They are really fun to go to.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:45 AM

Do you mean online or physically going to them?

Same concept, but alot cheaper gas wise online.
However, you can't fondle the fabric. :)