Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can Someone Help Me Please!!?? >

Can Someone Help Me Please!!??

Can Someone Help Me Please!!??

Old 01-05-2010, 02:53 PM

Great quilt! I would stitch in the ditch around the triangles and center blocks!
Old 01-05-2010, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by azam
First of all, lovely quilt! You're doing a great job. I would either echo stitch around the figures or meander, it would make them stand out.
Then maybe stitch in the ditch around the star points.
I agree with AZAM on the above suggestions. Also, you will want to start in the middle with quilting your quilts if you are on a regular sewing machine so you don't get bunching up in the middle.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:03 PM

[quote=punkinsmomI agree Great Job :thumbup: As for the label I would put it on before I quilted it, I learned this the hard way :evil: I gave a quilt as a gift and she regifted it but before she did so, she took my label off and put another one on giveing herself credit for it. I only found out about it from the friend that she regifted it to. I knew it was mine as I had signed one of the block with a pigma pen. :XD: LOL Liz[/quote]

WoW!!!! that was pretty nervy!!!!
Old 01-05-2010, 03:48 PM

[quote=jljack]
Originally Posted by punkinsmomI agree Great Job :thumbup: As for the label I would put it on before I quilted it, I learned this the hard way :evil: I gave a quilt as a gift and she regifted it but before she did so, she took my label off and put another one on giveing herself credit for it. I only found out about it from the friend that she regifted it to. I knew it was mine as I had signed one of the block with a pigma pen. :XD: LOL Liz[/quote

WoW!!!! that was pretty nervy!!!!
to: jljack
Oh my gosh, that's why I'm picky about who I make quilts for. Is she a quilter? Does she know what goes into the making of a quilt and all the love that goes into them?
Old 01-05-2010, 05:55 PM

Great job on the quilt. I love the hearts. Can you hand stitch around the characters to make them pop out?
SEWTOO
Old 01-05-2010, 11:15 PM

Your quilt is very nice. You should be proud and the hearts are great. You have the talent for machine quilting for sure.
I've mainly done hand quilting and the 1/4 inch around the pieces in the traditional way to quilt and I do that a lot. When you machine quilt in the ditch. you can jump the ditch pretty easily and I think the 1/4 inch is easier. I don't have one of the foots that keep you in the ditch. Echo quilting around figures makes them pop and is not that difficult if you slow down. Good job!!What a lucky little girl.
I attach my label in the corner so two bindings catch it also. I can't imagine someone taking a label off and regifting. I'd be very upset by that, heck I'm upset and it wasn't my quilt. sSme people have a lot of nerve.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by xraytechluvs2quilt
This Quilt is for my granddaughter and I have a couple questions that need answered before I finish it. I started quilting hearts around it, but what can I do for the center blocks? Would stitch in the ditch be good or maybe someone has a better suggestion? What about the Quilt label. Do you put it on before putting the sandwich together or after. Do you quilt over the label? This is my first quilt and I wanted to give it to my granddaughter at Christmas, but I got stumped on what to do.
Thank you and Happy New Year!
Check your batting first, to see how far apart your quilting can be - last thing you want to do is have batting that requires quilting every 2-3 inches, and leave 5-6 inches unquilted and have a mess the first time it is washed.

I would then do a stitch in the ditch around the center block, and a meander or stipple type stitch (assuming close quilting required) around the characters. Then, I would do an echo inside the triangles that surround each center square.....Hope this helps.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by punkinsmom
I agree Great Job :thumbup: As for the label I would put it on before I quilted it, I learned this the hard way :evil: I gave a quilt as a gift and she regifted it but before she did so, she took my label off and put another one on giveing herself credit for it. I only found out about it from the friend that she regifted it to. I knew it was mine as I had signed one of the block with a pigma pen. :XD: LOL Liz
Grrrrr! :evil: I've heard of this happening. I know a lot of experts are now suggesting you put the label on before it is quilted and that way the label is part of the quilting. The reasoning is mostly so the quilt isn't stolen (who wants to rip out the quilting and ruin the quilt!?!) but it would also work to keep the above from happening. I think I would have had some nasty words to say to the gal I gifted the quilt to if this happened to me!!

I would SID (stitch in the ditch) around the center blocks but I would also do an echo or outline stitching around each of the characters in the center block. This will make them stand out a bit more. I wouldn't do any meander stitching, but only because too much stitching will cause the quilt to become stiff as a board. It's hard to cuddle with a quilt that is stiff. Just a thought.

What a great quilt for your grandaughter! She is one lucky little lady. I bet you are her favorite grandma! ;)
Old 01-06-2010, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by MistyMarie
I made a Peanuts quilt for a friend recently and I ended up doing a modified echo stitch around the figures in the center of the blocks to help make the characters stand out from the background. However, these squares look so small, I doubt you need to do anything more than quilt in the ditch.

It is a lovely quilt. I don't want my daughter to see it. She will want me to make one for her! :-P
What is an 'echo stitch'? :roll:
Old 01-06-2010, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Catherine Marie
What is an 'echo stitch'? :roll:
Echo quilting is simply stitching just a short way (usually 1/4-inch but it doesn't matter) way from the main design, following the lines (echoing), sort of like an outline. I found this link when I googled it and it shows some great examples. http://images.google.com/images?q=Ec...=com.microsoft:en-us&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=BmVFS7WuNJW4M9vUoe8C&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CBsQsAQwAw