Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can someone please tell me why this is happening?

Can someone please tell me why this is happening?

I am trying quilt a baby quilt that I need to complete in time for Christmas. It has all come together really well...until now. I have it all pieced, layered and have begun quilting. I have had no problems until now. I use a walking foot and stick to quilting around the shapes in my blocks. This quilt is a baby quilt made with baby clothes so the majority is the stretching fabric used for baby clothes. I have a few straight lines going across the quilt and I have sewed around a few of the little animals and flowers sewed on the clothes. Now, from out of no where I'm getting the birds nest on the underside of the quilt. At first it was just these little tiny loops so I stopped quilting and tried to find a solution by sewing on scraps of fabric. Now it is a blown out birds nest and I cab't figure out what to do. I'm so fustrated I can't see straight. I think this problem was discussed not to long ago but I can't find it. Just my luck! Can someone help?
    Susan

Rethread your machine including the bobbin. Did you start with a new sharp needle? Sometimes if I move the quilt too fast I get birdsnests on the back.

try cleaning the machine i would try a new needle too.i would start with these first.

Thanks donna and jennifer! I have tried to rethread the machine and the bobbin and cleaned the bobbin area. I'll try that again and a new needle. Maybe I am moving it too fast. Thanks again, I'm off to try again.
    Susan

Birds nests on the back almost always means that there isn't enough tension on the needle thread.

First thing to check - are you lowering the presser foot? (I don't even want to guess how many times I've forgotten to do this - that hopping foot looks like it's lowered sometimes even when it isn't. If the presser foot isn't down, the upper tensioner is not engaged.)

Second thing to check - when you re-thread the machine (by the manual) make sure that the presser foot is UP. If it's down, the tension disks are pressed together, keeping the thread from seating between them correctly. This will often resolve itself, but sometimes, it won't.

I just had that happen to me today. It was because my thread had come out of my tension so rethreading did the trick.
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

Blog Entries
    Clean, rethread & check to see if maybe the tension needs adjusting.

And, if that doesn't work, make sure you pull the bobbin thread up before you start sewing. You need to needle down, needle up, then pull the bobbin thread up and out. I get horrible nests if I don't do that!
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw

Senior Member Aubrey'sQuiltingCreations's Avatar
    When my long arm was doing this it was a tiny little lint ball in my bobbin case was the problem. Amazing how something so little can cause such a big mess.

Are you using a domestic sewing machine or a Long Arm?
    When that happens to me, it means I have put my bobbin thread in the wrong direction. But I only have a domestic sewing machine. My Janome (a 6600P) was very bad about it, but my 60 year old Singer 15-91 was not as bad - but it was enough to make me say mean things to my machine.

Thanks so much everyone! I knew this would be the place to go to for help! My quilting board world is so full of great people I knew I would get the help I needed! I had cleaned and oiled the bobbin case but went back again after all the suggestions and did the deep cleaning I would normally do after finishing a project and before starting another. Also, I have a feeling I may have left the presser foot up when rethreading, that hoping foot does look the same up or down polyparrot. Anyway, after trying the suggestions you wonderful quilters suggested I think I have it working now. I was left with one tiny tiny loop in my sample line of stitches, but I'm sure that will be worked out on its own! Thanks again to all you wonderful quilters! Love this board and love love love all of you!! So grateful to have stumbled across this board!
    Susan

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
    Are you using a domestic sewing machine or a Long Arm?
    When that happens to me, it means I have put my bobbin thread in the wrong direction. But I only have a domestic sewing machine. My Janome (a 6600P) was very bad about it, but my 60 year old Singer 15-91 was not as bad - but it was enough to make me say mean things to my machine.
    I have a domestic sewing machine, it's the Singer Futura and I love it! I had tried everything I could think of and nothing I did seemed to help. So, I went back and did a much more detailded cleaning than I did to begin with.
    The older machines were certainly much more simple to work with. All the bells and whistle you can get in a machine these days just mean more problems to work out! But, when they work they are fun to use. Thanks so much for helping!
    Susan

First of all, get a nice drink--coke, coffee, tall glass of tea. Then add some chocolate. Find your most comfy chair and enjoy your drink and chocolate. After you're completely relaxed, go back to the machine. Now, remove all the thread, the needle and the plate. Once that's done, clean and oil (if you have a machine that you're supposed to oil). Replace the needle with a new one, rethread the top thread and the bobbin. Now try again.
    The only other thing is that you may have a bobbin that's too loosely wound. You might try rewinding it with a little more tension on the thread. If it doesn't work this time, go shopping and try again tomorrow.
    If no one ever experimented we'd all still be making 4 patches.

If it started out good something happened to make the change. Rethread, clean out bobbin case, rethread bobbin, maybe even try a new bobbin as this one may not be wound evenly and even a new needle. One of those usually works for me.

I bet cleaning and re threading will do the trick. Each time it's happen to me, this was the answer. Or could it be the stretch in your fabric? If all else fails do the faux tying method on utube. I forgot what it's called, maybe someone know's?

Blog Entries
    You said you are using a walking foot and going around the small animals; this is probably where your problem lies. Try doing around the animals with a regular foot or FM foot. Good luck.
    Judy

Quote Originally Posted by Aubrey'sQuiltingCreations View Post
    When my long arm was doing this it was a tiny little lint ball in my bobbin case was the problem. Amazing how something so little can cause such a big mess.
    This happened to me too!! I didn't get birds nests, but my straight stitching was all crooked!! Take your bobbin out and double check!! Ann

When this happens to me, my DH always reminds me that whenever you change the thickness of the items being sewn, you have to adjust your tension. Try that and good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by thepolyparrot View Post
    Birds nests on the back almost always means that there isn't enough tension on the needle thread.

First thing to check - are you lowering the presser foot? (I don't even want to guess how many times I've forgotten to do this - that hopping foot looks like it's lowered sometimes even when it isn't. If the presser foot isn't down, the upper tensioner is not engaged.)

Second thing to check - when you re-thread the machine (by the manual) make sure that the presser foot is UP. If it's down, the tension disks are pressed together, keeping the thread from seating between them correctly. This will often resolve itself, but sometimes, it won't.
    Thank you "poly" for taking the time to post such good information. And I hope Susan can solve her problem. It is so frustrating to be so near the end and then to have something like this slow down the process.
    Last edited by GailG; 12-04-2011 at 04:29 AM.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Blog Entries
    Usually just re-threading solves a lot of problems. You've gotten some good suggestions. Hope one of them works.
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook at Leesa's Fabrics

Blog Entries
    I was having the same problem yesterday. Rethreading, didn't work. It was the tension. Make sure that wh This en you start that you are holding you threads tight, you have lowered your needle to the fabric, and start sewing very slowly.This is what solved my problems

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by valleyquiltermo View Post
    I just had that happen to me today. It was because my thread had come out of my tension so rethreading did the trick.
    Weird, it must have been the day for this little thing to show up everywhere. I fought with my machine all morning and finally walked away after cleaning everything and re-doing it all several times. When I came back I realized that the thread was jumping out of the tension disks. I re-threaded and tightened the tension a smidge. Worked just fine after that. Hope you find your problem, it sure can be frustrating.
    Janome D1822/Janome 4618LE/1946 Singer 15-91 in original cabinet
    Bailey 17 Pro/Grace Original GMQ Frame with No-Flex carriage upgrade

I had the very same problem with my Janome 6600. I tried everything with no results. I had to turn it off and walk away. When I had calmed down, I turned her back on and everything was fine! I figured out that the thread had popped out of the tension discs and I just had to turn it off/on and rethread.

I would first get a new bobbin in there, match top and bottom threads in same weight cotton. And change needle as mentioned before.

a note on quilting with knit fabric. It really needs to be stablized with woven iron on stabilizer before being sewn into the quilt. It will make construction and quilting easier.

Glad you got the kinks worked out. yes the ladies on this board are a great help.
    Fran
    http://franciesboutique.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast