Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Ever Had One Of Those Days!!

Ever Had One Of Those Days!!

Have you ever had one of those days when EVERYTHING you try to do goes wrong!

I'm working on a Christmas gift for a friend that's made from paper pieced blocks. What could be easier? Well.....my iron has something really yucky on it so cleaned it with a little water and baking soda. Seemed to be alright except on one place toward the back of the iron. This block has white in it so what do I do? Yep! Use the whole iron and get this nasty mark all over the white fabric again. Tear the block apart and replace the piece. Then I did the same thing again!!! Tear it out again and the piece I used was too small so had to rip it out again. When I was doing that I tore the piece next to it so now I have to rip out two pieces. Got the first of the two pieces sewn into place and instead of cutting to the 1/4" seam, with the new piece folded back, I had it forward and cut the piece off. Oh my gosh!!! Get ready to sew the piece, once again, and break the needle on my machine. While changing out the needle I smelled something burning. One of the handles of my brand new Karen Kay Buckley scissors was against the iron and had melted. So now I have something else on my iron and a melted section on my scissors. This 6"x8" block has taken me over an hour to make.

Whine, whine, sniffle, sniffle, pout, pout...poor, poor pitiful me. Do I dare start another one day???
    Last edited by KimS; 11-30-2011 at 02:40 PM.
    Kim

Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog. ~Franklin P. Jones

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Wow! You really did have a bad day.

Blog Entries
    Several days ago I had a similar incident. I made a 10 minute block that took 3 hours before I could understand how to make it.

Blog Entries
    better quit for today and read the board posts to lift your spirits.

I can't help but laugh but know it's laughing with you -"man that has happened to me too!"

Blog Entries
    I'm thinking you should have stopped somewhere in the middle of this episode, gone back to bed, gotten up again, and started over!
    Kerry
    ~ American by birth, Southern by the grace of God ~

Blog Entries
    That's about when I'd call it a day.

Yup, call it a day, find some chocolate, read a good book, drink some wine....do something different. Tomorrow will be a better day!!

Blog Entries
    Been there and done that.
    A friend is someone who knows all about you and loves you anyway.

Been there, done that. Time to put your feet up, pour a glass of wine, light a couple of candles, and put some soothing music on (-:
    When you sleep under a quilt, you sleep under a blanket of love.

Some days you're the bird, some days you're the statue!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Sorry to hear about that. Reminds me of one day when my daughter was a little girl. I cleaned and waxed (back in the waxing of linoleum days) my kitchen floor. Then I curled and dried my hair and it was looking great. We made a quick trip to get a few things from the grocery store. I had a bag of blueberries on my kitchen counter. It split open and I started to pick them up but stepped on a couple. Put some water in a bowl to clean it up, slipped on another one and fell on the kitchen floor with the bowl of water in my hand. The water went all over my hair and the waxed floor was floor was now a mess. I looked over at my daughter and half cried and half laughed.

Yep, been there, done that, and sadly, more than once......Some days it gets so bad I just have to tell myself "back away from the sewing room, back away from the sewing room".....and this too shall pass....
    Have an inspring day!
    Sandi

I guess we have all had a day kind of like that. But I am sitting here feeling your frustration. Put it away, and start again tomorrow....
    Jojos Nana, Carol

Power Poster
    Been there, done that. Well, not exactly but it was a plastic bag to close to my iron. What a mess! I did a very intricate Valentine heart paper pieced block. I got it all done and realized a small but critical piece was the wrong colour. Don't call the Quilt Police but I cut out the piece with wonder under on it and ironed it over the spot. I quilted the edge done later and told myself it was now raw edge applique. Nothing is as accurate as PP but when it's wrong, it's very wrong!

I am so sorry... I think I would have walked away halfway through your ordeal. Tomorrow will be a brand new day - and hopefully free of oopses!

Boy do I understand. Think it is time to do something else for a bit
    unclefreckles' Grandma

Well as my father -in-law would say go to bed, tomorrow will be better. As the song goes
    The Sun will come out tomorrow...
    It will be a better day

I probably would have pitched the iron and went out and bought a new one...LOL.

Tomorrow will be better...I guarantee it. Yesterday was the worst possible day for me...today was fantastic.

Might have been a bad day but it made a hilarious story! Thanks!

Just want to send {{{{{HUGS}}}}} your way....

So after the day I had, I called to see if my grandson could spend the night with me and bought a new iron so that problem is solved. Waking up to his precious face made everything all better. Sounds like we all have "those day" and the ones shared made me laugh. The chocolate was a wonderful idea so made some homemade No Bake Cookies that are loaded with cocoa and sugar. Yippee!!! If I'd only stopped and gotten that bottle of wine..........
    Kim

Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog. ~Franklin P. Jones

CHOCOLATE-----and HURRY!!!
    If no one ever experimented we'd all still be making 4 patches.

Sorry to hear about your bad day I had one a while back I waited a day or two when I went back I finished my quilt, With no problems. Good Luck

I got anxious just reading your post. I have had those kind of days. Walk no RUN away from it for an hour or so, things will improve when you come back.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast