Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can Someone Tell Me How... >

Can Someone Tell Me How...

Can Someone Tell Me How...

Old 04-17-2011, 01:27 PM

When I make wall hangings and pillows I have a really hard time sewing up the hole used to turn it right side out (and stuff if it's a pillow).

I don't like that the stitching shows...I've cheated on a few things with Liquid thread...it works great, but I would like to sew it.

thanks
robin
Old 04-17-2011, 01:37 PM

I have similar problems. I think I may pull the thread too tightly as I go.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:37 PM

i do mine with hand done blind stitch... takes practice tho..I find the smaller the stittches the less they show.......but I don't like it to show either
Old 04-17-2011, 01:44 PM

I start and end the stitching with backstitching to ensure that the stitches hold. Leave about 3" open to turn, unless it's a bigger quilt and then leave 6". I then blind slip stitch the opening by hand. I rarely have a showing of the thread.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:44 PM

Someone on here taught me a neat trick especially if you piece your backing. Leave part of the seam of the pieced backing open. That way you sew all the way around your quilt and turn it inside out from the backing. Blind stitch the backing closed and voila!! your side seams are all straight and even and it looks great. I've done this even when I didn't have to piece the backing--just cut the backing, sewed it 1/3 down the seam, left 1/3 open, then sewed the bottom 1/3. Hope this helps someone.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:57 PM

I use what is called a ladder stitch. If this link doesn't post do a google search and you will find several tutorials. I have used this stich to also bind a quilt. It was wonderful, but took me forever.

http://blog.craftzine.com/archive/20...ith_the_l.html
Old 04-17-2011, 04:02 PM
Power Poster

Ladder stitch is very good I use it a lot. Gives a nice neat finish.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by janRN
Someone on here taught me a neat trick especially if you piece your backing. Leave part of the seam of the pieced backing open. That way you sew all the way around your quilt and turn it inside out from the backing. Blind stitch the backing closed and voila!! your side seams are all straight and even and it looks great. I've done this even when I didn't have to piece the backing--just cut the backing, sewed it 1/3 down the seam, left 1/3 open, then sewed the bottom 1/3. Hope this helps someone.
I really like this idea, I will have to try it next time.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:30 AM

I have cut an opening in the backing (and the batting) to turn the wall-hanging right side out, after sewing all the way around. After turning, I stitch (by hand) the batting, then cover the cut in the backing with my label. I remember watching Debbie Mumm on a quilting show and she was asked this same question--her answer was what I have been doing ever since. janRN's answer is great too.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:23 AM

When I make pillows I use pillow forms inside. I use an envelope type closure on the back where there are two sides overlapped. I have the same problem with other things though. I can't seem to make it look perfect when I hand stitch it closed.