Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can someone tell me >

Can someone tell me

Can someone tell me

Old 05-17-2011, 04:47 AM

how to use the large spools of Essential thread on my sewing machine? My thread holder is for smaller spools and the large one jumps off. I know it is a dumb question but I would like to know since I have purchased several spools.

Thanks for your help.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:48 AM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

good question.. will watch this post for an answer ! Thanks !
Old 05-17-2011, 04:49 AM

Are they the larger ones that stand up? If the thread comes off the top, I have used an Ornament stand (about 9 inches tall with an overhanging hook) and run the thread through the top. The spool sits right in the center of the stand loop.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:56 AM

There are stands out there that are made for that purpose. They are basically a base that sits on the table behind your machine and has a pin for the spool of thread to rest on and then a rod with a loop to thread the thread through and guide it to your machine. I have one I purchased from my Bernina dealer that is plexiglass and just not heavy enough to stay put when I put the pedal to the metal. I recently purchased a metal one that is much heavier from another Bernina dealer who is a Menninite gentlemen. I couldn't find a manufacturer's name or number on it so it may have been made by a local machinist. It works great. I purchased spools of bobbin thread for my embroidery machines that are as big and heavy as serger thread. The thread stand allows me to use that to fill my bobbins.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:58 AM

You can buy spool holders at Joann's. These are cheap plastic things. http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...RODID=prd12768

Or if you're handy, you can make your own. I've heard of people using paper towel holders: Place your spool on the small vertical piece and screw an eyelet screw into the tall piece (where the paper towel normally goes) for the thread guide. If you don't have an eyelet screw, try taping a paperclip on it to use for the thread guide.

You can also run to your favorite craft store (like Hobby Lobby or Michael's) and pick up some dowel rods and something for a wooden base and make your own.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:01 AM

i found this on ebay to give you and idea of how easy these are to make.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-198190.jpe  
Old 05-17-2011, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Joy Higdon
how to use the large spools of Essential thread on my sewing machine? My thread holder is for smaller spools and the large one jumps off. I know it is a dumb question but I would like to know since I have purchased several spools.

Thanks for your help.
These are not the cones. I have a cone holder but these are the Connecting Thread Essentials. They are 2 1/2 inches tall with a larger hole than regular spools.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:07 AM

For large spools that don't fit on my machine I grab a coffee cup, set it BEHIND my sewing machine inline with the spool pin. I put the spool in the cup and pull the end up, and to the RIGHT side of the spool pin I then put it around the front of the spool pin, and then go on to thread the machine like normal. I have NEVER had any trouble doing it this way and I pretty much do ALL my piecing this way!

I would take a picture but my camera battery died at the baseball game last night and I am to lazy to charge it right this moment! lol
Old 05-17-2011, 05:15 AM

I set large cones in a coffee mug behind my machine & run the thread through the guides like normal. I have also had to do this to get some embroidery threads to behave as they are wound for horizontal delivery & my Elna only has vertical pins.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:20 AM

Thanks for all the information. Going to get me a coffee cup right now. Thanks to everyone for responding.