Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Can a Store Have TOO Much Fabric?

The shop where I buy my machines has too much fabric. I don't think I have ever seen it all, actually. It is very overwhelming!! Can't beat their service though...great girls working there.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tootsie
    I visited a quilt shop this week and was so overwhelmed by all of the fabric that I couldn't really "see" what they had! I travel quite a bit and make it a point to find LQSs. Some are smaller and decisions on what to buy are easier. Others are large with hundreds, or thousands, of bolts and I just stand frozen to the spot! I almost feel dizzy! Anyone else experience this?

Fortunately, as evidenced by my stash, this isn't a permanent problem :lol:
    I feel the same way! Couple weeks ago, went to the LQS (have not been there since 12/09) and was amazed as to how many more fabrics they have! Didn't get anything, but when I have more time I'll go back and look closely!

Quote Originally Posted by marsye
    Does a bear poop in the woods? :lol:
    :lol: :lol: You just never know who you might come across when you go "bear hunting" :lol: :lol: :lol:

There is a store not far from here that I refer to as the "scary" store. It has shelfs 3 bolts high completely packed and then a row along the floor. Everywhere you look is just bolts of fabric. The rows are just wide enough for on person with everything that is on the floor. They are sorted by colour which makes it a little easier but you have to know what you are looking for in there.

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyMarie
    I believe it is all in how it is organized. My LQS does it by color. That is all fine and dandy, until you want to buy several pieces from the same collection. I like when stores group them by collection and then put their blenders by color.
    I like shops that group by collection too. I like Keepsake Quilting, but they group by color and trying to find matching pieces in the same collection can be daunting.

I drove my lovely wife, QuiltingGrannie,to Mary Jo's Fabric Warehouse in Gastonia, NC, this weekend. Yep, waaaaay too much fabric. I get confused because I am partially color blind. 3 hours at the store, I slept about 45 minutes of it. But. a fun trip and she got fabric and some other items. Remember, if momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MyWifeMadeME
    I drove my lovely wife, QuiltingGrannie,to Mary Jo's Fabric Warehouse in Gastonia, NC, this weekend. Yep, waaaaay too much fabric. I get confused because I am partially color blind. 3 hours at the store, I slept about 45 minutes of it. But. a fun trip and she got fabric and some other items. Remember, if momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.
    Yes, he did and yes, my DH is now a member! I'll post pics later and do a show and tell of what 'too much fabric looks like. :thumbup: :thumbdown: It has it's pluses and minuses.

Blog Entries
    where was the fabric store at????

I visited a quilt shop this week and was so overwhelmed by all of the fabric that I couldn't really "see" what they had! I travel quite a bit and make it a point to find LQSs. Some are smaller and decisions on what to buy are easier. Others are large with hundreds, or thousands, of bolts and I just stand frozen to the spot! I almost feel dizzy! Anyone else experience this?

Well welcome to the group! And I know what you mean about Mary Jo's! I've been there and had to ship some fabric home because it wouldn't fit in my suitcase!

And I'm gonna tell my husband that there's another DH who has "seen the light"!

Does a bear poop in the woods? :lol:
    Yep, and always where I'm walking....

Banned
    hahahahahahahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol:
    To be a member here you have to know how to cook breakfast because we take turns.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Only once did I go someplace that had too much and it was Blue Bamboo the online store. I went to their physical space. Talk about overwhelming! But it was COOOL!! would go there again.

I think it's quite possible that excess is daunting, especially if you want to match or if you are looking for something very specific, in other words, if you are HUNTING. But usually when I am in a quilt shop, I'm GATHERING fabric so there's no problem! The more the merrier.

tootsie, I agree with you, a shop that has soo many bolts can be overwhelming. One I go to a few times a year is like that, I need to go with a plan in mind.

Blog Entries
    It would only be a problem if I was limited on the amount of time I had to spend there :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the board :D:D:D
    You are a VERY wise man LMBO

I agree with those who say it's all about how it is displayed. If things are crammed in, willy-nilly, it's hard to feel like you've really seen what there is. Organization makes a world of difference.

Yes, I have been in a shop in Franklin Ten a couple of years ago that had so much fabric in not enough space that you couldn't see half of what was there. It was piled on the floor 2 and 3 bolts deep, you could never see what was in the back. I looked around but didn't like how cramped it was. I only bought a couple yards of fabric but it was overwhelming.

Now I have been in a couple of huge, huge places where most of the fabrics were displayed nicely and you could actually see what was there. It was nice, but I am used to the friendly atmosphere I get at my LQS.

Well welcome to the group! And I know what you mean about Mary Jo's! I've been there and had to ship some fabric home because it wouldn't fit in my suitcase!

Seen The light??!?!?! I feel like I've crossed over into the darkness..... lmbo

hahahahahahahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol:
    To be a member here you have to know how to cook breakfast because we take turns.
    I know very well how to cook... breakfast and more,, have grilled with 18" of snow on the ground, roasts, hams, buffalo chicken wings,,, you name it. We had sausage and eggs for supper. Our door is always open..

LOL

Seen The light??!?!?! I feel like I've crossed over into the darkness..... lmbo
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Welcome to the board from Southern California!!!!

Banned
    never. More the better!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishNY
    Quote Originally Posted by lorli
    Tootsie, I agree with you. There is a quilt shop nearby that is overwhelming. I couldn't believe that I spent several hours there and walked out with 1 yard of fabric!

Everyone who's been there agrees that you have to go there with a mission or an out-of-print fabric in mind.
    Lorli,
    You and I have to be taking about the same place. Fieldstone House, right?

Yes...where are you? Our guild has a dinner meeting there every September.

Really? How do you fit in there for dinner? I am outside of Binghamton but am up your way fairly often for work.

We have a LQS that I just love but I really can't shop there. They have lots of antiques and tables and such. Example: one table will have some bolts underneath it and then on top will be a few patterns, charm packs, layer cakes, etc. arranged all pretty. Looks beautiful but impossible to find anything!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast