Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can a Store Have TOO Much Fabric? >

Can a Store Have TOO Much Fabric?

Can a Store Have TOO Much Fabric?

Old 06-14-2010, 05:39 AM
Banned

That's my experience at Keepsake Quilting in NH
Old 06-14-2010, 05:48 AM

Nope! A store can NEVER have enough fabric for me.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:02 AM

Yes Ive felt that way. I found a new quilt shop and when I got there an went into the front door, at first I went, Wow Fabric Heaven, then after walking around there was soo much in all colors I actually forgot what I was looking for and I didnt buy a thing.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:07 AM

The one I like is in nw Ohio. The Door Mouse. I don't think anyone has more fabric that this lady.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:28 AM

NEVER!! :lol: :lol: The more the better i say
Old 06-14-2010, 07:32 AM

If you live nearby one of these huge stores it's a different feeling than having to drive a fairly good distance to get to it. I once took a road trip from where I live in N. Calif to Sisters, Ore for the big quilt show. My friends and I stopped at a total of 39 shops and after a while all shops looked alike and it was difficult finding something to really get excited about. But I think stopping at Fabric Depot was a favorite. Yes it was a huge store but we really took our time to see everything and we all went home with lots and lots of good stuff. I think it's all in your mood, how much time you have to look and how much money you're willing to spend. The less money you have, the pickier you're going to be because you want to get the best and most you can for your dollars.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:34 AM

I had the same experience just a few weeks ago. I was visiting a quilt shop that was new to me in a town a few miles away. There was so much fabric that my "eyes got full" right away. Furthermore, they were playing the most ghastly music (musicals) with the volume so loud it was terribly distracting. Now, I'm not dissing musicals, but it's not the kind of music I want to listen to when I'm shopping. I had some of those songs stuck in my head for days.

I've noticed that the flow in some stores isn't good. I like it when I can walk through and there seems to be a main path to follow so that I can see everything to my right and left without back tracking or getting lost.

My husband and I call this the "cough syrup syndrome." It goes like this: you have a cough and a cold. So you go to the drug store for some over-the-counter cough medicine. There are so many kinds! Do I need an expectorant? What about a decongestant? Does anything have both? Hm. And how does this stuff taste? Will it burn my esophagus as I swallow it? I can't tell you how many times I've gone in for some cough syrup and come out with nothing. The same goes for fabric. I get overwhelmed by my choices.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:12 AM

I was at Mary Jos this week end too. My daughter lives in Mooresville NC, and I finally talked her into going. ( she has just started quilting) We just stopped at the door for a moment to soak it all in and took off our seperate ways. LOL We both spent way to much. But she said she had to go back the next day because she just wanted one more yard of one of the fabrics she got. Yeal right... we both came back loaded again. But oh what fun we had!!!!
Old 06-14-2010, 08:26 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by seamstome
Only once did I go someplace that had too much and it was Blue Bamboo the online store. I went to their physical space. Talk about overwhelming! But it was COOOL!! would go there again.
I was there ONCE last summer.
You are right. Lots of wonderful stuff. Very crowded/crammed.
The people working there were very busy but nice and helpful.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:01 AM

Yes, I think a store can have too much fabric and not because I don't like a lot of fabric to choose from but if it makes it crowded and hard to navigate through the aisles, I then feel uncomfortable. I like to take my cart through the aisles and have it at least wide enough for another customer to pass through. Joannes recently remodeled their store to hold more fabric but they have the aisles so close together it makes it difficult to get around.