Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can these blocks be used creatively? -- ideas are welcome >

Can these blocks be used creatively? -- ideas are welcome

Can these blocks be used creatively? -- ideas are welcome

Old 01-22-2012, 06:34 PM

I'd have some fun with the edge fabrics to make them all the same size. I'd use medium-intensity white-on-black fabrics (like the one in the top row with the yellow). It won't be as harsh or stark as a solid black edge, it'd put an edge to the blocks with more white on them, and it'd soften the blocks with solid units along the edges. You could use several white-on-black prints to do this without turning the "scrappy" into "crappy."

I'd also have a little fun piecing an inner border - I'd join solid color strips (each a different solid color about the same intensity as the solids in the blocks) that are the same length of the block. The solid color pieced inner border would pick up and highlight the solids in the blocks, would add some more color, and mimic the scrappy nature of the blocks.

Then I'd step back to see what kind of wider outer border the quilt wants you to put on it. It could be bound with a black tone-on-tone.

Just an idea - thanks for listening!
Old 03-06-2012, 05:26 PM

Update --
I brought the blocks to our Proejct Linus meeting shortly after the post and was delighted that one of the blanketeers chose to take them and work with them. Last week I was privileged to make the Linus blanket delivery to the hospitals for our coordinator. As I was placing the blankets on the shelf in the storeroom of one of the hospitals, I was pleased to find that the quilt made from my blocks was part of the delivery! I wish I had had a camera with me -- the quilt was beautiful! The quilter did a marvelous job in squaring up the blocks and putting them together with sashing.

I could never had made such a beautiful quilt. It proves that we are always better as a team than we are as individuals!

Thanks for all of your suggestions -- you are a creative group!

Dayle
Old 03-06-2012, 05:37 PM
Power Poster

I'd put them on point for one thing. add more.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
Update --
I brought the blocks to our Proejct Linus meeting shortly after the post and was delighted that one of the blanketeers chose to take them and work with them. Last week I was privileged to make the Linus blanket delivery to the hospitals for our coordinator. As I was placing the blankets on the shelf in the storeroom of one of the hospitals, I was pleased to find that the quilt made from my blocks was part of the delivery! I wish I had had a camera with me -- the quilt was beautiful! The quilter did a marvelous job in squaring up the blocks and putting them together with sashing.

I could never had made such a beautiful quilt. It proves that we are always better as a team than we are as individuals!

Thanks for all of your suggestions -- you are a creative group!

Dayle

I'm so glad that you found someone ta do something with 'em! I bet it felt wonderful ta see it. And the fact that you knew that it was going ta make a kid feel good had ta be awesome. Win - Win!
Old 03-06-2012, 06:59 PM

Sorry Double post!
Old 03-06-2012, 08:33 PM

Sharyn Craig's books have some wonderful patterns for "wonky" settings. or sew a 2" border on everything, then use
a square-up ruler to cut all of them to the size you want. then do sashings around all. or use the hourglass block, cut larger, then resize all to the same. you could sew 1"(fin) strips around all in one color, then do another color with
wider strips so you could resize all blocks to the same size.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:09 PM

I think recutting as "wonky" blocks is an excellent idea. Isn't that what the x block idea is all about. But I also agree that if they are too off I wouldn't be satisfied anyway & would pass them on (but that's me-slight problem with perfectionism here, but I'm working on it.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:16 PM

Use them all in a small quilt, I love the colors!
Old 03-06-2012, 09:28 PM

Are there too mant seams to apply a stack and whack concept on them? wont lose the colors just the wonky designs?
Old 03-06-2012, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Look up how to set the blocks "wonky". That is where you add the sashing and then intentionally recut them on a tilt. It will hide any size difference and is quite easy. I've been wanting to try the Sahadowbox pattern and these blocks would look good in that style too. The only block I might take out of the ones pictured is the orange one. All the rest will look great together. Good luck .
I was thinking "wonky" too. By setting them at different angles, the viariations in the blocks won't be so noticable.