Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Can these numbers be right. >
  • Can these numbers be right.

• Can these numbers be right.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:41 PM

A word of caution: I recently bought what I thought were Bali Pops on eBay. The batiks were great and the price was half what Bali Pops sell for. My fabric arrived, nicely wrapped, and I was all set to sew....UNTIL I discovered why my "bargain" wasn't really a bargain. All the strips were 21" long!!!!! I was shocked, so I went back and reread the eBay description. The seller was honest in her description. I made the mistake (in my excitement and greed!) of not reading the fine print. So, ladies, just be sure you read the entire description carefully.
    Old 12-17-2010, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by alimaui
    I LOVE precuts! I buy them all the time. I usually don't pay more than $25 for my Layer Cakes or JR.

I AM WILLING to pay a bit more to get a wonderfully coordinated mix of fabrics. Yes, someone can go buy a "GO" and cut their own strips, but I don't want 40 strips of only 5 different colors.

Those of us that don't go gaga over the bow tucks bag don't sit here and tell you why we don't like them. Leave the PRECUTS alone!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
    Old 12-17-2010, 11:54 PM

WOW! There have been some excellent and well-thought-out points made in this post. Thank God we are all different and have different needs to be met. Whoever said quilting was boring!?!?!?
    Old 12-17-2010, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by QKO
    If you're buying pre-cuts, you're paying for several things in addition to just the fabric.

If you want to make layer cakes or charm packs or strip bundles and sell them:

1. Go out and purchase at least one bolt of each of the 40 or so fabrics contained in the package. While you're at it, spend thousands of dollars on precision cutting equipment and supplies as well as packaging equipment and extras, like ribbon, etc. Make sure you also budget for expendables on your equipment.

2. Now that you've made that investment, hire someone to do the cutting and packaging, or do it yourself, taking time away from more profitable activities. Make sure you also take the time to make sure the person you hired is doing it correctly.

3. Now you're ready to start cutting. Since you can't cut just one of the above-mentioned items, cut at least two sets and usually a lot more. Toss out a lot of fabric that is wasted during the cutting process. Pitch out all the fabric wasted on cutting errors.

4. Sell a few at full price, then watch the others sit on your shelves until you need to discount them down to loss prices to move them.

BTW, unless you're hand-cutting or have really large industrial die-cutting equipment, you can't get 10 inch squares out of 10" strips. You need at least a half-inch overlap around the squares if you're die-cutting, so that means a minimum of an 11 inch strip to make 10 inch squares.

You obviously have some experience in this area. I appreciate your explanation. I think many do not realize the factors that go into pre cut fabrics. Thank you for explaining this. It is great that we all have options though isn't it. And I think it is great that everyone can express their ideas about a subject that is evidently viewed with greatly differing opinions. And those differeing opinions we can all learn from. I love this site.
    Old 12-18-2010, 02:58 AM

can't afford most pre-cuts, but I do buy the FQ bundles on ebay sometimes
    Old 12-18-2010, 06:48 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by kellen46
    So I was trying to calculate how much those precut fabric bundles really cost and I came up with this...
    layer cake, about 42 ten inch squares equals 2.34 yards of fabric.
    Average price of fabric $7 a yard
    (snip)
    Where are you seeing Moda fabrics for $7 a yard?! Around here they sell for close to $11.
    Old 12-18-2010, 07:01 AM

My calculations are that you would need 3.5 yards for 42 squares. Of course, only if your cutting is very precise. LQS prices, $9 and up. Some shops don't buy a whole collection so you would not find all the fabrics in a 'cake' in one shop. I don't like being restricted to a 10" piece of anything. I may like one or two of the pieces but would never think of buying the other fabrics if not in that set. I prefer whole yardage so I can use it for borders later in the project if so desired.
    Old 12-18-2010, 07:01 AM

I'm not sure where you live, but the average price for LQS fabric in my area is more like $9-$10 a yard. Besides, you have to buy a lot of fabrics to get the variety and the size of the squares you get in a layer cake package. You are also paying for the convience of it already being cut the same size and already to sew.
    Old 12-18-2010, 07:44 AM

One of my biggest joys in quilting is being able to pick out my own fabric...for me...I do not want someone else picking my colors. Its so easy to cut my own fabric with the GO. Someday I would love the Studio so I can get larger dies maybe next year.
    Old 12-18-2010, 09:58 AM

I did a quick search...many sell by the 1/2 yard for abut 3.50. http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/Item...Muslin--m-1209 here is one site I saw.
    Originally Posted by OzarksGma
    Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    Originally Posted by kellen46
    So I was trying to calculate how much those precut fabric bundles really cost and I came up with this...
    layer cake, about 42 ten inch squares equals 2.34 yards of fabric.
    Average price of fabric $7 a yard
    (snip)
    Where are you seeing Moda fabrics for $7 a yard?! Around here they sell for close to $11.

I have Muslin Mates by Moda for $7/yard.
    OzarksGma