Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Can we make sizing?

Aurora:
    Thank you for this suggestion. I searched Mary Ellen's Best and found information on sizing as well as the recipe.

1/4 cup vodka
    2 cups distilled water
    Lavender essential oil in varying amounts.

I plan to cut pieces for a couple of scrap quilts and put into kits until winter for sewing the blocks. Did not want to use starch because of the bug question in case putting together goes past next winter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora
    In May there was a discussion on Mary Ellen's Best. Do a search and you will find the thread which contains several options for making it.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilt Fan
    Aurora:
    Thank you for this suggestion. I searched Mary Ellen's Best and found information on sizing as well as the recipe.

1/4 cup vodka
    2 cups distilled water
    Lavender essential oil in varying amounts.

I plan to cut pieces for a couple of scrap quilts and put into kits until winter for sewing the blocks. Did not want to use starch because of the bug question in case putting together goes past next winter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora
    In May there was a discussion on Mary Ellen's Best. Do a search and you will find the thread which contains several options for making it.
    Omygod...an new way to drink vodka...just spray it in your mouth. IPO the water I will add a little orange juice. Man...I will be a happy quilting camper.

:thumbup:

Dkm
    This is the same as Best Press.

1/3 vodka(cheaper the better)
    2/3 Water

shake before using.

Thanks for all the great ideas!! I'll have to check out our Dollar Tree store next time I go for some home homemade sizing.

Yesterday I found one can at our Dollar Tree in the laundry section. It is aeroso and the name on the can is Perfect Sizing. At $1.00 it was a better price than our grocery. I did not check our other $1 stores
    Quote Originally Posted by winter012
    Thanks for all the great ideas!! I'll have to check out our Dollar Tree store next time I go for some home homemade sizing.

Where do you get "essential oil"?

Quote Originally Posted by msbRON
    Where do you get "essential oil"?
    Try a candle/soap making section at your local craft store.

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    My mother and I both used the cook kind of starch. Argo is a brand name. You started a pan of water boiling then mixed your starch with cold water and slowly added it to the pan and there it was. You could use it full strength on shirt cuffs or diluted it for skirts,shirts, pants & blouses. My mother 'let' me iron the sheets & pillowcases but she didn't starch them.

Isn't that funny how are parents would always "let" us do something. :D
    My Dad would always ask me to make popcorn...he would tell me I was the best popcorn maker in the world. Now it's like...right Dad....how many in the places in the world have you eaten popcorn. It made me feel so good though when I was little. I couldn't get to the kitchen fast enough to make his popcorn. Still to this day...I think of my Dad when I make a bowl of popcorn. :lol:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2