Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
can we talk irons >

can we talk irons

can we talk irons

Old 10-08-2017, 01:59 AM

I have the yellow Oliso iron. It worked well with steam for about 3 months. Then it started spewing brown. It pretty much ruined a quilt. So I stopped using water in it.
Also, the sound it makes each and every time it raises or lowers will drive you mad. Then you get so used to it raising when you leave it, that when you go to quilt bee you leave the iron resting on the ironing board. Not good. Ask me how I know!
So I wouldn't recommend this iron.
Is it allowed on the board to comment about a product?
SVAL
Old 10-08-2017, 02:23 AM

I have Googled Oliso irons no end. Then a few minutes a go, Amazon sent me a deal for less than $150.00 a grey Oliso. Says it is new, has auto shut off and lift.

In other words, someone is watching me to see what I am thinking and then throw posies at me to entice me to spend money. I had to choose the 5-7 day shipping to get free shipping, and they did add tax.

I've ordered it. I'll let you know.

Marcia
Old 10-08-2017, 02:49 AM

I'm on my third Rowena which I've now had for over five years. I use it with plain ole tap water and have never had a problem. My previous ones, I also used for years, so I am firmly in the rowenta camp. I do admit, though, I like the idea of the olisio on legs!
Old 10-08-2017, 02:50 AM

Now they are telling me that it USUALLY ships in 3-5 days and it would take 5-7 days to get here. In other words, they do not have it in stock and I could be out in the cold with only this terrible iron I have.

RATS!!

If you ever get used to an Oliso, you will always want one. It's just so easy to use. But I see that Jenny Doan of MSQC does NOT have an Oliso in the Tutes anymore.

I think I had the wrong water in it.

Marcia

Last edited by Battle Axe; 10-08-2017 at 02:52 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 10-08-2017, 03:16 AM

I have an oliso. I love(d) it BUT it will no longer steam for me. Never used tap water in it but will no longer steam; wish I knew a fix for it because it was great. Maybe I just got a lemon. Other threads in the past on here just say buy a cheapie; then when it goes south ones not out much to replace it. But I don't know of any cheapie ones that are cordless. Good luck.
Old 10-08-2017, 03:28 AM

I would not buy another Rowenta. At the price of them they should last longer; all the ones I've had, 2 or 3 of them, don't last but maybe a year then don't get very hot or quit steaming. Very frustrating for the money ones spends on them. Guess cheap is the way to go; can buy several of those at probably less than what one Rowenta costs. Good luck on your search; hope you find a good one.
Old 10-08-2017, 03:36 AM

I have a Rowenta, this is the third for me also. The first two started to turn themselves off when I wanted them to iron. This one has lasted for many years. I use bottled drinking water because our water has so many minerals. Never leaks. I have been so lucky with this one, know it is not going to last too much longer. I have been watching sales and checking the wattage on the sale irons. Because I have heard of so many problems with Rowenta and fires, I use it on a power strip and turn off when I leave the room. I love the idea of the oliso but like the Rowenta, will probably not buy. It would be nice to get a cheapy that got hot enough and replace every year or two!
Old 10-08-2017, 03:55 AM

Rowenta is no longer allowed in my house....too many issues. I had a pink Oliso which I loved. Alas, thanks to a shoulder injury, it became too heavy to lift so I passed on to my daughter who loves it, too. I bought a cordless Panasonic in March, because it was lighter in weight, and I don't have to worry about tripping over the cord. I really like it very much, but it died a couple weeks ago during a retreat, sob. It is now back at the factory so we shall see what happens. I will keep you posted. Right now I am using an old travel iron in the meantime.
Old 10-08-2017, 05:29 AM

I have the Panasonic cordless iron and I love it to pieces. You will be surprised at how fast you can iron without a cording getting in your way. I've had this iron for about 4 years now, have taken it to classes, and now most of my friends have cordless irons, too. It is awesome!!!
Old 10-08-2017, 05:57 AM

I find auto shut off so annoying, I refuse to use an iron that has it. Naturally, that limits my choices, but I have had good luck with the Rowenta.