Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
can we talk irons >

can we talk irons

can we talk irons

Old 10-13-2017, 05:01 AM

I recently started a thread called, What Iron to buy? I never realized what a hassel it would become! I started with the Panasonic cordless. It was heavy, did not heat up nearly hot enough, and even though I rarely use steam, I tried that and it leaked like a sieve! It was also heavy for me as my strength is compromised by the Chemo I am on now. The constant picking it up and returning it to the base was a real problem and it would not slide down completely into the base many times, as I thought it was reheating when in fact it was not down far enough to connect with the heating element. Returned it and purchased a Hamilton Beach corded iron. The cord swivels so that was not a problem any longer, like it was with my old iron. A nice iron all but for the coated base plate. I then learned about the Maytag with the Stainless Steel base plate, swivel extra long cord, and auto 3 way safety shutoff, and heats to maximum temp in 55 seconds. Even has a removable water tan. (All the bells and whistles.) It even has a non tipping feature that makes it hard to accidentally knock over, yet tips easily for use; an additional bonus feature they do not even advertise! It has the best even-steam distribution system I have ever seen or used, offering about twice the number of vents in the Stainless Steel base. Even though the iron has some weight to it, its designed so its easy to tip to use, so its the best of both worlds. Its a Maytag Model M-800 and comes with a two year guarantee. They say "The third time's the charm" and in this case its true... Its the best iron I have ever owned. Who ever thought one could LOVE an iron? But I do!

Last edited by Just Jan; 10-13-2017 at 05:06 AM.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:05 AM
Power Poster

In one of Lori Kennedy's latest posts she talks about how much she likes this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Fre...38e9077f159607
Old 10-13-2017, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
In one of Lori Kennedy's latest posts she talks about how much she likes this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Fre...38e9077f159607
Thats the one I just posted about. Its the worst iron I ever owned. Doesn't get hot enough and the steam leaked like a sieve. Has other faults I already listed in my post a few minutes ago. Some like this iron... just saying I had a terrible experience with it and returned it.
After three attempts I finally found a wonderful (Maytag) iron that I love. Forgot to mention that its even self cleaning. I paid $38.99 with free shipping on Amazon.

Last edited by Just Jan; 10-13-2017 at 05:22 AM.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Just Jan View Post
I recently started a thread called, What Iron to buy? I never realized what a hassel it would become! I started with the Panasonic cordless. It was heavy, did not heat up nearly hot enough, and even though I rarely use steam, I tried that and it leaked like a sieve! It was also heavy for me as my strength is compromised by the Chemo I am on now. The constant picking it up and returning it to the base was a real problem and it would not slide down completely into the base many times, as I thought it was reheating when in fact it was not down far enough to connect with the heating element. Returned it and purchased a Hamilton Beach corded iron. The cord swivels so that was not a problem any longer, like it was with my old iron. A nice iron all but for the coated base plate. I then learned about the Maytag with the Stainless Steel base plate, swivel extra long cord, and auto 3 way safety shutoff, and heats to maximum temp in 55 seconds. Even has a removable water tan. (All the bells and whistles.) It even has a non tipping feature that makes it hard to accidentally knock over, yet tips easily for use; an additional bonus feature they do not even advertise! It has the best even-steam distribution system I have ever seen or used, offering about twice the number of vents in the Stainless Steel base. Even though the iron has some weight to it, its designed so its easy to tip to use, so its the best of both worlds. Its a Maytag Model M-800 and comes with a two year guarantee. They say "The third time's the charm" and in this case its true... Its the best iron I have ever owned. Who ever thought one could LOVE an iron? But I do!
Thanks for the recommendation. I got myself one of these and so far I am quite happy with it!!
Old 11-03-2017, 07:38 AM

Who knew irons could be so controversial? I'm still using the 30+ year old Black and Decker with a long cord. I don't use the steam feature. A spray bottle works for me.