Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can you add to quilt after quilted >

Can you add to quilt after quilted

Can you add to quilt after quilted

Old 07-12-2011, 08:47 PM

I made a quilt for my daughters boyfriend and got the size wrong it is to small. Can I add a border to it after it has been quilted if so how to do it an it not look odd?
Old 07-12-2011, 08:50 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by cinnamon
I made a quilt for my daughters boyfriend and got the size wrong it is to small. Can I add a border to it after it has been quilted if so how to do it an it not look odd?
QAYG - Quilt As You Go.

Check out the tutorials and the recent threads on the technique. Very easy to add a border. Think of it as a big block. You might have to take off the binding, but that's it.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:50 PM

Cinnamon..can you just add a dust cover around 3 sides of it? That would hang down over the sides and bottom of the bed. Or is the quilt too small to cover the top part of the bed? You might be able to add some QAYG blocks around the outside edge. Good luck..crafty_linda_b
Old 07-12-2011, 09:00 PM

i have been wanting to try the QAYG I guess this would be a good time to try.i have not put the binding on yet.It turned out to be a twin when he needs at least a full.Thanks for your help didnt thank of QAYG. Thanks Jan wish me luck :)
Old 07-12-2011, 09:05 PM

I did this because of the same problem. I had a lot of wrinkles in the back of the "added on" edge.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:08 PM
MTS
Banned

Jan, there were recently three threads on QAYG with a ton of information and links to tutorials and videos.

There are actually multiple solutions to how you can enlarge the quilt.

Here's some reading for you:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-135065-1.htm
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-135245-1.htm
Old 07-13-2011, 02:28 AM

Good luck
Old 07-13-2011, 05:07 AM
Power Poster

How much do you have to add? If it is about 12 inches, I would cut 2-12 in. strips by width of the quilt. I would pin one piece to the back of the quilt,right side facing the quilt and raw edges matching up (cut a strip of batt and pin along it also) I would then pin the other 12 piece right side laying on the right side of quilt and raw edges matching. I would sew across all of the raw edges across the the quilt and addition. Then I would flip both of the strips and batting up and press with an iron. If everything was laying nicely I would quilt that section straight out to the edge (bead board style) and then proceed to the opposing edge in the same manner. When both sides of the quilt were finished, I would then do the top and bottom in the same manner. Good luck and it really shouldn't be too hard.