Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can you embroider on a normal sewing machine >

Can you embroider on a normal sewing machine

Can you embroider on a normal sewing machine

Old 08-29-2011, 08:40 PM

have you thought about using heat adhereing gem stones? joann and most craft stores sell them and the applicaters
Old 08-29-2011, 09:32 PM

I think you can free hand embroider on any machine.

On my mom's 1940's Kenmore, we put the stitch length on zero and released the tension from the tension bar and you could sew in any direction. We didn't add a darning foot, we just removed the foot and stitched.

On my old Brother VX, which is 25 years old, you put the stitch length on zero and put a plate over the feed dogs (the plate came with the machine), add a darning foot and you can embroider or free motion.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:41 PM

Yes, yes yes.
Years ago, I used to embroider using my old Kenmore machine. Here are some things I learned:

1) Use only a hoop you can tighten with a screwdriver - the fabric must be VERY tight in the hoop for crisp lettering or other embroidery. (check thrift stores for hoops) - I'd go with a hoop that is about 6 to 8 inches diameter & move as necessary (hard to keep it tight on a larger hoop)
2) Drop the feed dogs
3) Use good quality thread and a new needle
4) Use tracing paper to transfer your pattern or lettering to the fabric on which you sew
5) Place your hands around the sides of the hoop and guide the fabric around to create the lettering or pattern you have transferred.
6) good idea to sew fabric to a thin layer of muslin for stability prior to doing the embroidery
I made many baby gifts, bibs, portable tie-on quilted high chair supports, quilt squares, pictures and lettering on T-shirts for my kids, and have never had an embroidery machine.
Have fun.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:02 AM

yes you can do hand embroidery--just need a teacher--thread painting is just like cokouring in with a pencil--lay down the threads to make a shape
Old 08-30-2011, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by lalaland
I think you can free hand embroider on any machine.

On my mom's 1940's Kenmore, we put the stitch length on zero and released the tension from the tension bar and you could sew in any direction. We didn't add a darning foot, we just removed the foot and stitched.

On my old Brother VX, which is 25 years old, you put the stitch length on zero and put a plate over the feed dogs (the plate came with the machine), add a darning foot and you can embroider or free motion.
Thanks, Lalaland - forgot to mention stitch length to zero.

Also - try ebay for books on machine embroidery - once were sold prior to newer embroidery-specific machines.