Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can you help identify this pattern

Can you help identify this pattern

Can someone help me identify this pattern? I know its a french braid but I would like to be able to make this and I need the particulars as cutting and fabric needs.
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/90136052...e_id=353493072

Thanks

Cindy
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-05-2012 at 08:17 AM. Reason: replace copyright image with link

The blocks are 6 x6.

Blog Entries
    The website where the picture was posted has a 'contact the shop owner' link. the shop owner may give you the pattern name so you can search for it specifically. the description of the blocks for sale says that they are 6" blocks.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

You really wouldn't need a pattern ... start with the square in the corner. Then french braid down from there. Add triangles to the sides.

To get the sizings/measurements, the easiest way would be to mock it up on graph paper. Then either sew conventionally or use it as a PP pattern to make your blocks ever so consistent.

Lovely pattern!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

If they are 6" blocks, cut each strip at 1.5" to finish at 1". The corner square, where you start, would be 3.5" unfinished to finish at 3".

I have a block that I call Corner Tulip. If you like paper piecing, let me know and I'll post a PDF of that pattern. Here's a PDF for rotary cutting I made for you in EQ 7:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by LyndaOH View Post
    I have a block that I call Corner Tulip. If you like paper piecing, let me know and I'll post a PDF of that pattern. Here's a PDF for rotary cutting I made for you in EQ 7:

Yes, Please!!! I know I'd sure appreciate the PP PDF ... much easier than starting from scratch!!
    Please? and Many Thanks!!
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I would love a PDF pattern for the PP of this block. It is a very striking pattern.

Christine
    [email protected]

Another name for this is friendship braid. I like the quilt designs that quiltingfamily shows on etsy, several ways you can use these blocks.

Blog Entries
    I would love to have pp pdf of that. i think it would make a great scrappy!

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    This is so funny. I won 36 of these exact blocks on ebay for a great price. I don't know the name of them either, but they are so pretty and they are very, very scrappy. I couldn't believe the price! Now that someone mentioned it, they do look like tulips. In fact, I think I won 37 of them. If I did, I could send you one. Jeanne
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

A braid can also be made using a half hexagon ruler. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Dn_4vTxwfk

Blog Entries
    Lynda, Thank You.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

LyndaOH - great pattern in EQ! sending yo a pm to request the eq7 file...please and thanks so much.
    Linda

That is a great pattern and the fabrics are perfect they picked out.
    Be kinder than necessary,everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Blog Entries
    Hope you do not mind that I copied this also. I have been looking at the braids for a while but was a little intimidated by them but this makes it looks simplt.
    A friend is someone who knows all about you and loves you anyway.

Linda, Thanks for posting the PDF of the block you made in EQ7.

Blog Entries
    Thank you Lynda for sharing. This would be a nice way to use up some scraps.

Looks like a variety of the friendship braid. I did a scrappy one, found instructions on youtube.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I have a bunch of strips left from cutting scraps.. what a great way to use them. Thanks so much for the PDF

I think it is a block I have downloaded free from Quilt blocks Pro. If you are not a member, they send you a block of the day every day, and they also archive the old blocks. Well worth registering.
    pat design

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    If they are 6" blocks, cut each strip at 1.5" to finish at 1". The corner square, where you start, would be 3.5" unfinished to finish at 3".
    I copied the square to my "draw" program which on my MAC is Claris works, so I can't e-mail it to you since unless you had the same program, you couldn't open it. Draw programs have rulers on each side of the window.
    I measured the upper right square as 2.5" finished, not 3". I agree that the strips are 1" finished. That will give
    you the center diagonal unit.
    Then just use a triangle ruler to get the right sized triangles to complete the 6" square.
    With son many triangles to cut, you would probably want to take the height of the triangle as your
    strip set size and then cut many with your triangle ruler - first using the triangle ruler straight up and
    then turning it 180 to get a triangle point down, thus maximizing how many triangles you get from
    your strips. Good luck - if this is too confusing for you, then you need to call the shop owner and buy the pattern-Judy

I copied the square to my "draw" program which on my MAC is Claris works, so I can't e-mail it to you since unless you had the same program, you couldn't open it. Draw programs have rulers on each side of the window.
    I measured the upper right square as 2.5" finished, not 3". I agree that the strips are 1" finished. That will give
    Then just use a triangle ruler to get the right sized triangles to complete the 6" square. Make one test square.
    With so many triangles to cut for the quilt, you would probably want to take the height of the triangle as your
    strip set size and then cut many with your triangle ruler - first using the triangle ruler straight up and
    then turning it 180 to get a triangle point down, thus maximizing how many triangles you get from
    your strips. Good luck - if this is too confusing for you, then consider printing the block out [after sizing it to 6"]
    on easily tearable paper and paper-piecing the center diagonal unit as mentioned in earlier replies. Last resort-print out 6" block and cut it into pieced- trace these onto template plastic - and cut and sew.
    Really last resort, call the shop owner and ask if there is a pattern for sale - if not, then go back to the above
    methods. You can do it. - Judy

Then just use a triangle ruler to get the right sized triangles to complete the 6" square. Make one test square.
    With so many triangles to cut for the quilt, you would probably want to take the height of the triangle as your
    your strips. Good luck - if this is too confusing for you, then consider printing the block out [after sizing it to 6"]
    on easily tearable paper and paper-piecing the center diagonal unit as mentioned in earlier replies. Last resort-print out 6" block and cut it into pieces- trace these onto template plastic - and cut and sew.
    Really last resort, call the shop owner and ask if there is a pattern for sale - if not, then go back to the above
    methods. You can do it. - Judy

I absolutely love this block and the scrappy pattern.
    Has anyone come up with a title for this quilt?
    I am not good at following directions unless I have the pattern in front of me.
    For some reasons cannot get answers to questions on here like before the new format.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast