Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Can You Help Me Identify This Pattern?

Blog Entries
    Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I bought "Scrap Quilting Made Easy" last year for this quilt pattern and forgot I had the pattern until today. It is 2 1/2-inch squares, but I am thinking that it would be a great use for all the 3 1/2-inch squares I have been saving. This is a great book as it contains lots of scrap piecing patterns -- well worth the price.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

Banned
    Blog Entries
    great links..thanks so much for finding them all! and thus creating yet another IDEA for my little head..heheheh

Thank-you EVERYONE for your input to my request! So generous of time and research for finding this pattern. Several of you have responded with PM and I appreciate all that has been done.

I'm just like Chay in her response that no matter the question it seems that so many jump at the chance to help another quilter!

Smiles from Idaho,
    Onalee

"What if you woke up today with only the things you had thanked God for yesterday?" ~ Michael Hyatt

The HST quilt Exploding Star does not look quite the same to me as the one on the front of that book, which is made with 60 degree triangles. I had to greatly enlarge my screen to see that, but it's definitely not HSTs. It's a similar effect, but not exactly. I don't have the pattern, but it looks as if it would work a lot like the HST designs that are called value quilts, where you start by pairing the lighter and darker triangles and then just keep arranging them until you get the design you want. I'm sure it would be a lot more challenging with the 60 degree angles than with HSTs. The Exploding Star design is different in that it has a lot of all dark and all light squares included that are not pieced with triangles. Both designs are pretty.

dsmith is correct. It is the Exploding Star. The pattern is in a book from House of White Birches called Scrap Quilting Made Easy. The displayed quilt in the book is 45 1/2 by 45 1/2 square using blocks that finish 1 5/8. To make a larger size, use larger blocks.

I know I have the pattern or book somewhere since I made one of these "back in the day"....probably in the early 90's. I use it---unquilted---as a wallhanging in my sewing room since I like it that much. I never bothered quilting it because it was one of my first projects and.....I started making vast quantities of UFO's immediately!!!! If you don't find the pattern let me know and I will look for you. Just PM me.
    Mistakes are just opportunities to invent a new quilting technique!

I love this quilt and have bookmarked it for future use. Thanks for posting the link.
    Denise finally in Manchester NH

Blog Entries
    I've seen a log cabin style as well.
    The Quilting Bear

Hi I have this pattern and it is called Exploding Star. It was fun to make all half square triangles. Have fun with it..
    Judy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2