Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can you help me? >

Can you help me?

Can you help me?

Old 01-10-2016, 10:31 AM

Default Can you help me?

My son wants me to make him a Jelly Roll Race quilt but he wants it bigger than the size one roll makes. He wants it to be double bed size. I thought of using both rolls but that would be way too big and maybe oddly shaped. If I used large boarders that would take a lot of yardage. Maybe he will have to two, one with the rolls and one different one for the bed. Hope someone can help me. Cheers!
Old 01-10-2016, 10:54 AM
IQ2

How about making 2 smaller ones from the same jelly roll print and then put them together.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:09 AM
Power Poster

There are a few good sites on this subject:
https://www.google.com/search?q=jell...+finished+size
Old 01-10-2016, 11:23 AM

If my math is correct, if you use 2 Jelly rolls it would be 100 in x 64 in. Not a great measurement. Rather than using a jelly roll, what if you found a few fabrics at 1&1/2 yards and cut 2.5 in strips lengthwise, so they are 54 in lengths, instead of the 40 - 42 in. Then if you use 40 strips your quilt would be 68 x 64, and if 708 use 50 strips it would end up 84 x64. It seems no matter what the length of the strip I was coming up with the 64. But if you went with a 3 inch wide strip you could go with 50 strips, 54 inch long at 3 in. wide = 84 in wide and 96 in. long.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:05 PM

Okay my numbers are off a bit because I failed to account for the quarter inch seams allowance. I am not at home so can't re calculate right now. I just know the length is about 4 in short.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:12 PM
Power Poster

Instead of doing the quilt like a jelly roll race, think of it as just a quilt made up of 2" finished strips. Let's say you want the width to be 90". Start out by sewing all your strips end to end (like in the jelly roll race) but off 90" of both ends, sew these together, then continue chopping off 90" from both ends and adding to the quilt. It will have the look of a race quilt, but you won't be confined to the dimensions of a race quilt. Of course you will first have to figure out how many strips you need, but the beauty of it is that if you didn't figure on enough you can always cut more and start adding them to the quilt. Your son will never know the difference between this and a race quilt, and neither will anyone else unless they are aware of the dimensions that develop as you make a race quilt.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:29 PM

OK I looked and read all the info and I am totally confused. But I'm thinking, from one of the articles, I could sew together the weigh I want it to be and cut each row at that measurement or just add and cut at the end then sew that piece to the last piece. Clear as mud right? Just keep adding row until it is the size I want. Like someone said He will never know the difference. Think this will work? Thank all of you for your suggestions.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:34 PM

I put this tutorial on the forum which uses the 2 1/2" strips and you would be able to adjust the size of your quilt. It might be an idea for you. http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...s-t266619.html
Old 01-10-2016, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by MrsDerf View Post
OK I looked and read all the info and I am totally confused. But I'm thinking, from one of the articles, I could sew together the weigh I want it to be and cut each row at that measurement or just add and cut at the end then sew that piece to the last piece. Clear as mud right? Just keep adding row until it is the size I want. Like someone said He will never know the difference. Think this will work? Thank all of you for your suggestions.
This sound like it will work to me.

Dina
Old 01-11-2016, 04:48 AM

Go to jellyrollfabrics.com and subscribe to her newsletter and she has a down load that will give you the information you need.