Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can you persuade me.... >

Can you persuade me....

Can you persuade me....

Old 07-28-2010, 05:01 PM

to buy an ACCUQUILT GO? I know I will get some valuable opinions from all of you :thumbup:

A few questions:
~how often do blades have to be replaced? Could you cut an entire quilt before they become dull? How much do the blades cost?
~have you had any problems with the machine?
~do the dies with curves work as well as straight sided ones?
~like all new products, do you think they will come out with a "new and improved" model in the near future?
~where do I get the best deal? :lol:

Thanking you for your input.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingnonie
to buy an ACCUQUILT GO? I know I will get some valuable opinions from all of you :thumbup:

A few questions:
~how often do blades have to be replaced? Could you cut an entire quilt before they become dull? How much do the blades cost?
~have you had any problems with the machine?
~do the dies with curves work as well as straight sided ones?
~like all new products, do you think they will come out with a "new and improved" model in the near future?
~where do I get the best deal? :lol:

Thanking you for your input.
Well:
I have cut two queen size quilts with mine, blades are still sharp. The cost of the "blades" as far as I understand and someone else will correct me (hopefully, if I am wrong), would be a new die i.e. the 2" strip approximately 70.00 (in my area).

They have a new and improved model (but it is larger and of course more expensive.)

I have yet to try it with curves, it's on my list, just have gotten to that part.

Do comparison shopping on line until you find the best deal. Sometimes you can find a great deal and get a few extra dies with it.

Hopefully this information is helpful and hopefully others can add to this and educate me as well.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:49 PM

I cut enough apple cores to make a junior quilt (large baby) and it cuts those just fine. I don't do more than 4 layers though.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:15 PM

OK. Let me be the devil's advocate on this one. Here are some reasons to NOT invest in a go:

1. There is alot of fabric waste
2. You must pay very careful attention to the straight of grain, trust me on this. Sewing on bias can be a pain.
3. The plates are expensive.
4. They have had problems with the 5" not cutting accurately (the go)
5. If perchance you place the blade upside down, the blade is ka-put.
6. The rag rug plate must be cleaned constantly
7. One year warranty could be better
8. There are times when it will not cut in tiny places
9. You need to keep those extra sheets available in case #8 happens
10. The prices were stable when they were introduced, now the prices are all over the place, gotta do a lot of research for the best deal

11. If you want to sell yours, call me at..... :)
Old 07-28-2010, 07:17 PM

And if she's not at home, call me!

Originally Posted by sweet
OK. Let me be the devil's advocate on this one. Here are some reasons to NOT invest in a go:

1. There is alot of fabric waste
2. You must pay very careful attention to the straight of grain, trust me on this. Sewing on bias can be a pain.
3. The plates are expensive.
4. They have had problems with the 5" not cutting accurately (the go)
5. If perchance you place the blade upside down, the blade is ka-put.
6. The rag rug plate must be cleaned constantly
7. One year warranty could be better
8. There are times when it will not cut in tiny places
9. You need to keep those extra sheets available in case #8 happens
10. The prices were stable when they were introduced, now the prices are all over the place, gotta do a lot of research for the best deal

11. If you want to sell yours, call me at..... :)
Old 07-28-2010, 07:32 PM

The plates can be found for up to 40% off sometimes. The 5" die has supposedly been fixed. I can't imagine putting it with the blade upside down. The two sides of the die are very different. I read that if you use a sheet of typing paper between the die and the fabric when using the rag die, it doesn't get so full of fibers.

As for waste, I think people have come up with ways to really reduce the waste. One big way is to use a sharpie to draw the die lines and then you can see exactly how much of the fabric is going to be cut off. The grain thing is definitely true-I read that you should put it on so the crosswise grain is parallel to the rollers. I think.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:32 PM

This is one of the few quilting goodies I have no interest in...just seems like to much fuss, so I'll cut my fabric the old-fashioned way.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:36 PM
Power Poster

I'm a real gadget girl...love all the new fangled things, but I just can't figure out shy I would ever need this (well..unless my hands get to the point I just can't hold the rotary cutter) I can't get past the fact that you have to cut your fabric to be able to cut your fabric...why not just cut it the right size to start with, then your done??!!

I can see for the odd shapes...but squares, rectangles, strips....hmmm...I just don't get it...
Old 07-29-2010, 07:36 PM

I have had one for awhile now and totally love it! I have not bought any of the curved dies, with the exception of the hearts. Not into curves on quilts! There are a ton of videos on Youtube of good tips to use them. One gal shows how she cuts the fabric one way and then puts it on another die and cuts and ends up with some awesome shapes! Go has now incorporated some of her techniques. Also, if you add them to your facebook, you will notice that every friday morning they do a contest. You go to the link and answer the question of the week. They pick one person to win a go, doesn't matter if they were right or not, they just pick an email! I have cut a lot of my little scraps into usable pieces, have emptied three tubs of scraps this way and filled dozens of containers with shapes, ready to use (love scrappy quilts)! I have also cut several quilts with it and have yet to even think about replacing dies. I am getting ready to order some more however.
Every now and then Joanns puts them on sale (great deal), but you cannot use the coupons for any go products. I am a firm believer in quiltshops.com, I use it to price and buy a lot of my fabrics that I find in lqs at cheaper prices. If you type go into the search box it will show which quiltshops they have that carry it. I have found them cheaper there (and accessories) then locally a lot.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:37 PM

Oh yeah, and they give you lots of free patterns and ideas on their website to use the dies!!!