Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can you really make money with your passion? >

Can you really make money with your passion?

Can you really make money with your passion?

Old 02-20-2011, 07:36 AM

It is going to be a hobby for me. Although, selling some would be nice just to support the addiction.

Rick
Old 02-20-2011, 09:04 AM

I make baby quilts and sell them out of my home. We live on a busy highway and it runs in streaks, some weeks I sell several and then again not any. Most of the baby quilts are embroidered blocks, but I do make others from patterns. I have one customer that orders about 3 or 4 times a year. She and her husband always give baby quilts to their co workers when they have new babyies. Right now I am working on her of three quilts. I also hand quilt for other people just because I like to do it. It is something I can do at home at my own speed, but I do quilt 7 to 8 hours a day and love it. When I am not quilting for others I am making charity quilts.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by shequilts
Most of us (on this board) would love to be even more involved with the world of farics, quilts and all the wonderful gadgets that go along with them. Have you ever considered the viability of your passion for these things? Could you earn a living doing what you love?
Are you "good" enough to support yourself with your work? Are you knowledgeable enough to buy, display, teach, and market all that is involved with quilting?
Could you bear to turn your "passion" into a job?
You can make money with it,but I wouldn't count it as a monthly income. We make quilts during the year and then stick an ad in the local paper in October .From then to Christmas we sell them.During the year we get orders for quilts but not that many.We do sell all of the quilts that we have made that year by Christmas.A lot might depend on where you live,or you may be able to find a gift shop to sell so many to each month,I don't know.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:07 AM

I own a MA and quilt for people. I keep between 15-30 small quilt tops on hand ready to be quilted most of the time. Also have at least 10 large quilts. Do quilt for people but the patterns are simple and for quilts meant to be used. Do not what to make my hobby and enjoyment a job full of stress. I do enough to help support my habit.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:22 AM

I think if I used my hobby to make money it won't be as relaxing. I know a very good long arm quilter, that once she started doing it for others, she doesn't have time to sew anymore for herself.
So, nope, I like it as a hobby.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:46 PM

A sewer I am but a saleswoman I'm not. It would be a perfect world to be able to, wouldn't it?
Old 02-20-2011, 02:47 PM

As I make most of my quilts by hand, it is not economic to try and sell them. Therefore, I only make quilts for family and very special friends.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:56 PM

My personal opinion is that the money is not in making quilts. Keep that as a passion and a hobby. If however you want to make it into a business, you have to offer services. Either teaching classes, or speaking, or online sales of quilting objects, is where the "making a living" is. One has to do the research though as with any business plan. You have to know what your demographic is, what they want, how to stay competitive, and know who your competition is. That, and you have to advertise. Blowing your own horn is not usually something quilters do, but if you want to make it into a business - toot toot!
IMHO.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:14 PM

They aren't called starving artists for nothing!
Old 02-21-2011, 05:42 AM

I am writing as an experienced longarmer for ten years now. Never in my life time did I think I would be a professional LA quilter. I live in the small town of Grand Junction, CO. I make close to $20,000. a year. Now that is not a lot of money compared to what DH made before retiring, but working in retail for most of my life, I only made between $8,000 - $10.00 a year. So even though it does take up a lot of hours devoted to my LA I get to stay home and work. You are all right. You have to have a passion for LA quilting because your life is surrounded by it. Everybody in Junction knows me as the LA quilter, pattern designer and teacher. Anybody is welcome into my home that has a quilting problem, wants to share what they have made or just wants to visit. I always make time for them.
for the most part I enjoy every quilt that comes through my door, but there are a handful that I would have gladly given to someone else to quilt. But the challenge is to see if you can make something beautiful out of a badly peiced quilt top. I have about eight years of pictures of the quilts I have quilted over the years. The past two years I have not even had the time to print out all the quilts and put them in an album. So yes, I am a busy person. I started quilted on my Viking sewing machine in 1998. I soon jumped up to the Janome with a 9" base. (those extra 3" made a world of difference when it came to queen and king size quilts. When I really started bringing in the work, I decided to by a Handi Quilter. My first LA. (scary). I jumped from quilting four quilts a month to quilting 8 quilts a month and no more getting on the floor and pinning those large quilts. After two or three years with the HQ I bought my first Gammill. What a difference a quality machine can make. I jumped from 8 quilts a month to about 12 to 15 quilts a month. (all sizes) Two years ago I bought a Statler Stitcher. It's obvious that I was doing pretty well in this small town as far a clientel was going, but I was very tired and have some health issues as well. My 1st Gammill was giving me a lot of problems, so it was time to either quit or buy a new machine. So I opted to by a new machine. I was trying to decided whether to stay with the Gammill or to purchase another brand, when I realized that I could upgrade to a Statler Stitcher, which gave me a $10,000 trade-in towards my Statler. Now for those who wonder if Digitized quilting is cheating, I can say this. When I bought the Statler, I thought I was going to get a break, because the machine does all the work, right? ( wrong!!!) No machine can run unless there is a person telling it what to do. Even a sewing machine needs someone to sit there and push the fabric under the needle. Is a sewing machine cheating, when God gave us hands to sew with. If you don't have the wisdom of how to make that machine work, nothing is getting made, nothing is getting done. Last year I was so tired of working with the Statler that I had spread the word I was retiring. Within a month I had received so many phone calls begging me not to quit, that I decided to hang in there for a few more years. People put so much time, love, energy and money into their quilts, that they want someone who can make them look beautiful with the quilting. Now I am not a Linda Taylor or a Pam Clark, but I currently have 30 work orders hanging in my sewing room waiting to be quilted. I don't know how many people will read this note being on the end of the stream, but know this, you can make a business out of LA quilting if there is a need and passion to do something you love. People will notice and the work will come. God bless and enjoy whatever and where ever you are in the quilting world.