Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Can you say Dumb A**

Blog Entries
    I just been reading and laughing. I told DH that you all always make me feel soooo much better! When I was shopping for my new Bernina..I brought it home to try out and it wouldn't sew for me at all...just a huge mess. I took it back to the store and found that I had put the bobbin in the case backwards...:roll:...I was sooo embarrassed that I had to buy the machine :lol:

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Happens to the best of us!!! So consider yourself a BEST!!! I cant see to put my needle in,(need new trifocals),but it wont go in except one way so I can do it by feel.

My sewing machine repair man says that is one of the first things he looks for so join the club, alot of others do it too!

Quote Originally Posted by scowlkat
    ... and apparently Janomes and Brothers do not like to swap bobbins! Talk about feeling stupid!
    I learned years ago that all Singer Bobbins are not alike either. I bought what I thought was a generic pack of bobbins to use in my machine. Snarls, rats nests, you name it, but not a single stitch. Then I looked more carefully at the bobbins and the few millimeters difference in thickness, along with one being flat and the other rounded, makes all the difference. So when I went searching for Bobbins for my Bernina, I was VERY careful.

Cheers, K

Me too. My brother which was bought last January jammed up on me several weeks ago. I took it apart and worked and worked cleaning the bobbin case, changing needles, rethreading etc. Nothing worked.
    Someone here on the board asked if I had unplugged it--well, no. I did just that, but no luck . I put it under my sewing table, pulled out my old white and kept going. I pulled it out last week to take to the repair shop and thought I'd try it one more time. Turned it on and voila,
    It worked and I've been using it ever since.

Roxanne

been there and done that over again and again I just went 20mi to buy 1/4 foot and stich in ditch foot (DML viking) she had both I just didn't know what i was looking for

Quote Originally Posted by cdobbert40
    I have not been able to sew for a week, thread keeps breaking, skipped stitches, tension not right. I have cleaned the bobbin casing, put in a new needle three times, rethreaded the machine a million times, messed with both upper and lower tension, gave up sending it for repair. Went to sewing room last night to make sure everything was put back on the machine cause I was bringing it somewhere to have it looked at, so I said to myself, self lets just take a look one more time at the manual and see if we can't figure this out and low and behold there is the problem right in front of me. The flat part of the needle faces the rear of the machine. Leave it to me to figure out how to put a sqare peg into a round hole. How was I even getting the needle in? Anyway, my machine is working just fine now and I will go and wipe the mud off my face.
    Don't you just hate it when that happens. Makes you feel like a total dork. I have done that too. My quilting machine doesn't like cotton thread on top with polyester on bottom. Will mess up everytime. Bet you can't guess how I found that out?

Don't feel bad, I have done all of it ahahahahah..but this is how we learn right? Another tip, if your thread keeps breaking,chances are the thread is rotten lol....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by littlehud
    I threaded my Pfaff wrong the other day. I've been using if for a year so how did I forget how to do it. Just a senior moment I guess. At least the machine got a good cleaning out of it.
    Been there done that! I find that when ever something doesn't sound right or do right, I clean & oil, change the needle and rethread.

Ive done the SAME thing, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by kathy
    I'm in the the dumbass club! a few months ago my brand new janome suddenly started making thread nests in the bobbin and making a horrible noise, it wouldn't even pick up the bobbin to bring it to the top, the last thing i had done was use the htread cutter, i love that thing!i took the bobbin area apart as far as i dared to see if i could see what went wrong, for 3 days i cussed and cried waiting for monday so i could take it back to the dealer. patrice said "did you rethread it?" i was very adament that the problem was the thread cutter! i wouldn't even try rethreading. finally on monday afternoon i called to be sure the guy was in, 75 miles away, he said "did you rethread it?" i rolled my eyes and said IT'S THE THREAD CUTTER! he said well let's just try it. so i did, guess what :oops: the thread had come out of the takeup lever. you know patrice enjoyed it!!
    When I got my new machine I took a class to learn how to use it. The first thing they told us was if you ever have a problem with the machine rethread the machine, top and bobbin. 90% of the time it will correct the problem. Sure enough, every time my machine acts up I rethread and it fixes it. I pull out the thread and totally rethread it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    Been there done that. When I purchased my first Featherweight, I kept threading from the left to right. DUH, If all else fails read instructions. It is threaded from right to left, No more problems. LOL
    Oh I hear you because I did the same thing. Now, when I switch from the Featherweight to the Janome I have to recite, left to right or vice versa.

Blog Entries
    lol been there done that

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stitchingmemories
    Don't feel bad, I had a walking foot that came with my machine and when I used it I couldn't figure out why people liked it so much. I wasn't putting the little arm up around the screw that holds the needle in. I felt so dumb. I have to hope even the brightest (of which I certainly don't qualify) of quilters have done crazy things too.
    Oh, my word, that is exactly what I was doing! lol When I first got my machine and tried the walking foot, I couldn't figure out why it was making this "clacking" noise. Even asked about it when I went in for my lessons. Asked if anyone else's did that. Of course, no one's did. I was going to take it in when I finally realized what I was not doing. I was [u]so glad[u] I had not done that!

Quote Originally Posted by cdobbert40
    I have not been able to sew for a week, thread keeps breaking, skipped stitches, tension not right. I have cleaned the bobbin casing, put in a new needle three times, rethreaded the machine a million times, messed with both upper and lower tension, gave up sending it for repair. Went to sewing room last night to make sure everything was put back on the machine cause I was bringing it somewhere to have it looked at, so I said to myself, self lets just take a look one more time at the manual and see if we can't figure this out and low and behold there is the problem right in front of me. The flat part of the needle faces the rear of the machine. Leave it to me to figure out how to put a sqare peg into a round hole. How was I even getting the needle in? Anyway, my machine is working just fine now and I will go and wipe the mud off my face.
    Your machine sounds like mine. I think I'll go and recheck it.

Oh you poor thing!
    Pat yourself on the back for NOT paying someone else to figure it out!

Oh not the first time that has happened to all of us probably. I had a new machine and put down the dogs and could not get them to come back up. Took it in and was so embarrassed too--you have to take a stitch or two before they pop back. Never forgot that lesson!

Been there,done that also, so don't feel like the Lone Ranger, we all make mistakes and then laugh about them.

and I thought only I did these things......I also put the needle in wrong and lost a precious week being very upset. So I unthreaded everything, took the needle out, took the bobbin out and started over. It ran like a top. I had an ice cream sundae to celebrate.

Oh! been there done that, even took machine to the shop. Boy you should have seen the repairmans expression. Life happens.

Done both the needle and the bobbin thing, also misthreaded the tension discs, all of the above will mess things up!

I am so glad I read this thread. It's like a troubleshooting guide. I have learned.

1. If it doesn't sew, try rethreading the thread and bobbin.
    2. Look to see if there is fuzz in the bobbin.
    3. Make sure the needle is put in the right way.
    4. Sew a stitch if your feed dog doesn't go down.
    5. Don't put the bobbin in backwards
    6. Not all bobbins are equal.
    7. Make sure you put the walking foot on right.
    8. IT'S PROBABLY NOT THE THREAD CUTTER. haha

I've had most of these problems, but I'm sure I will have a brand new one some day.

I LOVE THIS SITE.

i had major problems with my singer (book is useless as are most owners manuels are nowadays) had trouble with all kinds of thread breaking bobbin making bird nests thought for sure it had to be machine then someone mentioned sometimes thread has to come off the spool a certain way well i didnt think this could possibly be it bobbin thread comes off back why would spool not also but noooooo it comes off the front they are so careful to mention in book about direction of bobbin thread but not spool why would they do this? my thought is so some nice repair man can make some money or get a good laugh at this dummy!

Yep, one day my feed dogs weren't working right, my fabric was jumping all over the place, threads were nesting...I wanted to throw the darn thing out the window...

I didn't put the foot down.

LOL - Similar thing just happened to my mom. She fiddled with her serger for quite a while finally telling my dad it just didn't work and would have to go to the shop. My sister in law (not a sewer) came over and saw it on the counter. Mom told her what was going on and walked away. A few minutes later my SIL yelled out that she thought maybe just the light bulb was loose! Mom never tried the pedal - when the light didn't come on she assumed the machine was broken!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast