Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can you tell me why this charm pack is so expensive??

I've fallen in love with the Windham Storybook VIII '30's prints - I've been searching and searching for charm packs in it and all I've been able to find is one on ebay -- for $16.95! :-( Granted it contains 51 prints, but doesn't this seem like a lot? Or am I just being too cheap?

Blog Entries
    That is more than usual, but sellers on ebay can pretty much set their own prices :(

It's Windham and there are 51 prints. Are there only 51 squares or are there duplicate squares?

Just 51 squares - but there are no duplicates.

Banned
    that sounds like about a yard of fabric.

Why can't I even find this anywhere else? I usually like to compare prices, but all I've seen is yardage and one shop had a layer cake and one of the bigger rolls - but no charm squares. Only this one.

If it's hard to find, that may be the reason for the higher price - because they can.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Maybe wait and keep checking. Did you google it to see if anyone has it in a store? I have bought out of stock charms and they were not this much. APparently someone really wants it. GOod luck.

The same seller also has it on etsy - same price. And I've googled and googled and googled! :shock: Wouldn't ya think SOMEBODY else would also have it for sale?! I think it's time for bed, my eyes are going cross-eyed.

Is it possible that it never came as a charm pack - that this person had to cut it herself? I'm not sure about Windham, but I know that not all manufacturers do charm packs for all fabric lines, and some stores will cut their own.

Blog Entries
    i don't recall ever seeing a windham charm pack of anything anywhere. the seller has almost certainly cut them herself.

windham makes some of the nicest fabrics on the market. unless you catch them on sale they're among the most expensive. the seller will have invested quite a bit of money in the fabrics for the charm pack. also, most charm packs have around 40 or so squares. i've seen them for well over $10 a pack.

i agree that $16.95 calculates to a very high per-yard price. on the other hand, if you only need the wee bit of each that a charm pack provides, you'll save money in the long run. imagine the expense of buying just one fat quarter of each fabric. :shock:

I know you are looking for charm packs, but you could buy yardage and cut your own if any of these fabrics work:

http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/Item...Fabric--m-2868

http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/Item--i-WF-31826-8

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Naturalmama
    I've fallen in love with the Windham Storybook VIII '30's prints - I've been searching and searching for charm packs in it and all I've been able to find is one on ebay -- for $16.95! :-( Granted it contains 51 prints, but doesn't this seem like a lot? Or am I just being too cheap?
    Ericas has 1/4 yard bundle for $11. (4 FQ's)
    Hancocks of Paducah has the jelly rolls for $30
    the charms and cakes and jelly rolls are expensive, because you usually get one of each fabric design in the line.

i have only bought a couple of them over the years..i really,really had to have it! :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    i don't recall ever seeing a windham charm pack of anything anywhere. the seller has almost certainly cut them herself.

windham makes some of the nicest fabrics on the market. unless you catch them on sale they're among the most expensive. the seller will have invested quite a bit of money in the fabrics for the charm pack. also, most charm packs have around 40 or so squares. i've seen them for well over $10 a pack.

i agree that $16.95 calculates to a very high per-yard price. on the other hand, if you only need the wee bit of each that a charm pack provides, you'll save money in the long run. imagine the expense of buying just one fat quarter of each fabric. :shock:
    This is true. The seller you are talking about is LOVELY! I ALWAYS buy my Windham Storybook from her (the only fabric I pay full price for EVER! and don't mind it), she ships quickly and gets my order right. I love ordering from her shop. She does cut all her charm packs, this is not a "precut" like Moda. So your not only paying for the fabric but you are also paying for the convenience of the smaller "precut" pieces. Julie (the owner of the etsy and ebay shop you are talking about) is awesome, and I am nor affiliated with her in any other way other than a happy customer!

P.S. Hancocks-Paducah wants 24.98 for 24 "Jelly roll" strips or 29.98 for 30 of the same strips. Thats 99 cents for a 2.5 inch strip of fabric! Not any cheaper!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    What doesn't make sense to me is that she has the same price on Ebay and Etsy. Ebay takes a chunk in seller fees, actually 3 fees to be exact!! I've heard it's a lot cheaper to sell on Etsy.

Sadly $15 is a pretty average price for a charm pack here. I'd love to find one with 51 fabrics! One thing: If you bought the fat roll, you could probably make your money back by making a bunch of charm packs for resale. The fat roll is $97 and it's 5" x WOF. That's a lot of charm! I hear fabric is going to get even more pricey, too..... Scary.

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ

I didn't know this.....thanks Patrice!

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    What doesn't make sense to me is that she has the same price on Ebay and Etsy. Ebay takes a chunk in seller fees, actually 3 fees to be exact!! I've heard it's a lot cheaper to sell on Etsy.
    Well... suppose she set the price higher, and you bought it on eBay... and then you saw her listing the same item on Etsy for less. You might be a bit upset! My guess is that she's chosen to set the same price for both places to avoid this kind of thing.

As an aside: I work with a gal who sells on both eBay and Etsy. She gets lots more business from eBay, and views any sales coming from Etsy as "a bonus".

If money and time were only free-flowing! lol! I may have to break down then - there's something about that particular line that just does it. Not even the one before it - which I've found a bit cheaper. Thanks for all of your input - it's nice hearing the voices of experience! :)

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    Well... suppose she set the price higher, and you bought it on eBay... and then you saw her listing the same item on Etsy for less. You might be a bit upset! My guess is that she's chosen to set the same price for both places to avoid this kind of thing.

As an aside: I work with a gal who sells on both eBay and Etsy. She gets lots more business from eBay, and views any sales coming from Etsy as "a bonus".
    Yeah, that makes sense. Ebay's fees really kill me. They keep going up but I don't sell the type of things that Etsy has :(

Banned
    Why can't I even find this anywhere else? I usually like to compare prices, but all I've seen is yardage and one shop had a layer cake and one of the bigger rolls - but no charm squares. Only this one.
    You could buy the Layer Cakes (10" squares) and cut into 4 5" squares of each.
    Perhaps you could find other Board members to share

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by watterstide
    Ericas has 1/4 yard bundle for $11. (4 FQ's)
    That would make a selection of 51 cost a whopping $140.25

Kinda puts the whole thing in perspective.

Blog Entries
    I tried this site
    http://www.quiltshops.com/ & got 3-4 hits. Price ranged from $7.19 yd to $9 yd....all by the yd.

Blog Entries
    Here's an Etsy shop that sells that fabric. Notice theirs is a smaller number of charms.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/57388013...-storybook-vii

That's the same shop - those are the VII charms - the ones that took me over are the VIII ones. Of course. :lol:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast