Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can you use satin ribbon for binding a quilt? >

Can you use satin ribbon for binding a quilt?

Can you use satin ribbon for binding a quilt?

Old 03-15-2013, 12:36 PM

I know this is an old thread, but I just had to add my two cents' worth in case others are stumbling across this discussion in their research for their own baby blankets. I have done several baby quilts with Minky plush fabric as backing, a very thin minimal shrink batting in between, and a cotton quilt top, and I do use prepackaged satin binding on the edges. Moms and babies love these special quilt/blankets. They are soft, warm, snuggly, and it's a great combination of textures. The quilting is very minimal, just enough to hold the layers together. I do baste around the edges with my walking foot, and then I serge the edges for a clean, durable finish, adjusting my dual feed if needed to avoid a wavy edge (since Minky does stretch in one direction). The satin binding goes on easily, just pin in place and sew along the edge with a triple zigzag and a walking foot, if you have one, to keep things feeding evenly. It's VERY durable and, worst case scenario, if the satin binding came loose my raw edges are protected by the overcast serger stitches underneath -- worn out satin binding could be easily replaced. So I hope that others considering satin binding for a baby quilt are not too discouraged to try it themselves!
Attached Thumbnails img_1713reduced.jpg  

Last edited by CheekyCognoscenti; 03-15-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:50 PM

My daughter has one of those critter blankets some of you may have seen where its a head & arms of a stuffed animal sewn in the center of the blanket and the fabric is a form of plush/minky top and the backing and binding are satin...its about 12" x 12" and that thing has been through a million washes, she sleeps with it and takes it everywhere and that satin is still in great shape, and all the seams are together nicely...I think satin would work, I have thought about doing it myself I just haven't gotten around to it yet Good luck!