Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Canadian on-line shops >

Canadian on-line shops

Canadian on-line shops

Old 06-25-2014, 07:32 PM

This one in Powell River BC gives wonderful service.
http://www.fabricandwoodideas.com/index.htm

Has anyone ever ordered from the US and had a shipment sent by UPS? I have just ordered from a place that sent my package by UPS and am wondering how big the brokerage fee is going to be ...........
Old 06-26-2014, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Chester the bunny View Post
This one in Powell River BC gives wonderful service.
http://www.fabricandwoodideas.com/index.htm

Has anyone ever ordered from the US and had a shipment sent by UPS? I have just ordered from a place that sent my package by UPS and am wondering how big the brokerage fee is going to be ...........
I`ve never been charged duty .Herd if you keep the amount low maybe under50 dollars
Gale
Old 06-26-2014, 06:26 PM

My obnly on-line order was for a package of 10 rotary blades (cost $20). It was sent UPS. I got charged another $10 on delivery. I had already paid $15 for postage. So I paid a total of $25 just for postage. They came in a regular letter size envelope. I have never ordered on-line since. My friend orders lots on a regular basis and is never charged extra. Her other friend gets charged extra about half the time. There seems to be no rime or reason why this happens. The luck of the draw I guess.

Originally Posted by grma33 View Post
I`ve never been charged duty .Herd if you keep the amount low maybe under50 dollars
Gale
Old 06-27-2014, 09:52 AM

I have the same experience as true4uca. On those occasions you get stuck, it can be costly, so I don't order cross-border any more. sew-sisters.com is great, and free shipping in Canada if you're over $100.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:19 AM

Another thumbs up for either "Sew Sisters" or "Hamels Fabrics"! I order regularly from both and am very pleased with both service and product. If you like pre-cuts, Hamels have a wonderful selection as well as fabric by the metre. As mentioned above, they also have a once a month sale of 20% off fabric by the metre (not pre-cuts). Sew Sisters often has really great sale prices too. And, I believe they both ship to the U.S.

Unless you can pick your order up on the other side of the border you take your chances on customs/brokerage charges which can be expensive. I have been told that Connecting thread send through Canada Post, so must give that a try.