Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Canadian quilters >

Canadian quilters

Canadian quilters

Old 04-11-2017, 02:23 AM

I have ordered from AliExpress directly from China less than $1 per blade and free shipping....I have had no problems with these blades.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:00 AM

I ordered from All Express. 10 blades for $11.00. Seem ok so far.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:38 AM

I have two places I order from - one is from AliExpress ... like momsobon ... I've used them extensively with no issues.

And when I run out and forgot to place an order (which happens more often that I'd like to remember!) I buy them from Lee Valley Tools (I'm in Ottawa). They are $5 each.

You could try a tool store / shop in your area and see if they sell them.

I can't believe how expensive they are in some places.

The other thing I found out that really ticked me off was the spray baste. I bought some at fabricland $26 for the can, and I found it at walmart for $13 ... I had bought two and brought them both back. I was shocked at how much fabricland had jacked up the price.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:27 AM

Call a local hardware store and ask them if they carry round blades for cutting linoleum/vinyl flooring. They will be 45 mm blades if they do, and much cheaper. A lot of us buy our blades at "harbor freight", a chain auto and home tool store. I have found blades for as little as $1.25 for two blades.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:21 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MarionsQuilts View Post
..........The other thing I found out that really ticked me off was the spray baste. I bought some at fabricland $26 for the can, and I found it at walmart for $13 ... I had bought two and brought them both back. I was shocked at how much fabricland had jacked up the price.
That has been my experience with Fabricland .... prices are jacked right up there.
If you get it on sale in their 50% off, then it brings it down to being competitive with the rest of the market place. Sometimes less. However, to get the 50% you usually have to be a member .... and that costs money. So is there any gain for we, the customer.

Nope, I haven't had a FL membership for years .... and seldom shop there now, as their fabric quality has gone way down.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:03 PM

Another thing at FL that is terribly marked up is Steam a Seam2...almost twice what I pay for it at my LQS. I had to ask the salesperson if there was a mistake on the price because I couldn't believe my eyes!

Watson
Old 04-13-2017, 12:03 PM

In desperation, I got a pack of 5 at Fabricville for $55.99 CAD a little while ago, and was floored at the price. If you find any cheaper than that, do let me know!

Originally Posted by true4uca View Post
Has anyone ordered rotary blades from Amazon Canada. I need new blades my source has dried up. Just went to LQS a pkg. of 2 blades was $32.98. They only carry Olfa. I won't pay that much, hopefully. LOL.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by true4uca View Post
Has anyone ordered rotary blades from Amazon Canada. I need new blades my source has dried up. Just went to LQS a pkg. of 2 blades was $32.98. They only carry Olfa. I won't pay that much, hopefully. LOL.
I have bought blades from Amazon.ca a couple of times and have been very pleased. Euro-Notions Roll the Gold 45mm Titanium Coated Rotary Cutting Blade, 10 per Package for $45.13. As they are coated with Titanium, they last and last! I found this brand much cheaper than the Olfa blades but don't see any difference in quality. I wouldn't hesitate to order them again.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:51 AM

I got 10 Olfa blades from Amazon.ca for $41. Pretty good deal, in my opinion. Just keep checking back, if they don't have a reasonable price when you look. Because it's all resellers, prices vary - I stick with the brand names I know however.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:39 PM

I usually buy them off Ebay. I paid $13 for 20 blades last year. Still have all kinds left. They came from Asia (China maybe?), free shipping. Took a few weeks to get here, but it was worth it.