Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Help needed . What stitch to sew label to back of quilt ?

Blog Entries

Help needed . What stitch to sew label to back of quilt ?

I have my label made and borders around to frame it. Now what ? How do I sew it to the back nice and neat? Hand sewing is not my thing. Thanks for help I know is coming .
    rvsfan
    A Ricky Van Shelton fan

Unless you put your label on when you put your binding on ,you have to hand stitch. That's the only thing I can think of. You could put your label on before you sandwich your quilt by machine.
    learn each and every day,memories or play.

I agree, sew it on the backing by machine before you put the backing on the quilt. It will possibly get quilted over so you might need to think about that. But if the quilting is already done I'm not sure there is another choice but to hand stitch it.

Power Poster
    I would sew it on with an invisible ladder stitch but if that won't work for you, how about doing something visible. Can you do a nice blanket stitch with 2 strands of embroidery floss?

You might consider ironing on with fusible webbing. Maybe thread tacks in the corners. You could do that with the machine and would hardly show on the front.

Blog Entries
    I generally fit a piece of fusible interfacing in the center and flip the seam over the interfacing to be sewn down by a small slip stitch.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

I like my labels to be applied before my quilting is done. If a quilt is stolen, or a recipient wants to take my label off and put theirs on, it will be more difficult to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
    I like my labels to be applied before my quilting is done. If a quilt is stolen, or a recipient wants to take my label off and put theirs on, it will be more difficult to do so.
    Never thought of this, good idea
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
    I generally fit a piece of fusible interfacing in the center and flip the seam over the interfacing to be sewn down by a small slip stitch.
    This is exactly what I just did yesterday to the back of my Allietare (finally) finished quilt before I mailed it off to NY.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

I usually machine embroider the information on the quilt backing before making the sandwich. Then the quilting goes overtop all the embroidered information. No label for a thief to remove.

On the rare instance I do attach some sort of label, I turn the edges under and hand stitch it like an applique, with invisible stitches all around, again, preferable before the quilting.

Blog Entries
    I press the label edges under 1/4 inch, secure it to the lower left corner of the (quilted) back, and machine sew it down with a straight stitch, using invisible thread in the bobbin. If you are making quilts to be judged at quilt shows, hand sew.