Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cancellation of Hand Quilting Workshops >

Cancellation of Hand Quilting Workshops

Cancellation of Hand Quilting Workshops

Old 03-11-2011, 01:16 PM

Wow....thank you, Rose, for your statement! I think I will have to talk to the shop owners again.
I know they had flyers in their shops and they handed it out to their customers and they put information on their webpage. I think the situation is different here because quilts do not belong to almost every house and every family! It's harder to find people who are interested. But I won't give up. Maybe it will change one day.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:36 PM

I'm sorry you ar not closer. I learned to hand quilt from a wonderful lady but she moved her store to the west side of our state. I wish I had learned more from her. Don't give up.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:24 PM
Power Poster

Sorry to hear that maybe there is an other aspect of quilting that you could teach.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Rose L
I haven't read all of the replies yet but I must jump in here and give you my $.02 worth.

I really wonder if the class was marketed correctly? Did the LQS just post the class on their website under their calendar or was it mentioned in their newsletter in a way that made it look like it was THE CLASS to take this season? These LQS are not taking advantage of your status to bring in people to your classes in the way that they should. You have been recognized as a WORLD renowned hand quilter, that is something to SHOUT about!! Were you allowed to hang one or more of your beautiful quilts in the shop with a poster board nearby that listed all the components of the class so interested people could see all of the great things you would be teaching in addition to how to hand quilt? Were there half sheet fliers being stuffed into each and every bag of goodies they sold, walking out the door? Honestly to just list a hand quilting class as available on such and such a day just did not do you justice. If properly advertised I would imagine there would be scores of people who would sign up just to see you and your fabulous work. I see way to much of the bare minimum being advertised at so many LQS. And I feel they are not only short changing an available teacher but they are shorting themselves in the sales that such a class would generate for them. I guess anyone who loves fabric can open a shop but that doesn't make them good at marketing.

Were I you, I would keep trying but I would bring my own marketing plan to the table when negotiating how the class will be advertised. You might also try holding classes with youth groups, senior centers, libraries, or your own personal class open to the public (and get LQS to sponsor it...bringing you much more $$$ than the class alone will bring you). Have a sheet printed up with the class components and the sponsors names and have it stuffed in the newspaper on the days they sell the most papers. That would really get the word out. You could rent space in various towns and cities and hold more and more classes. Everywhere I go I meet people who want to learn to quilt. They just don't know where to go to learn how.

I'm planning some classes for children (10-18) that I will be giving in my home on Saturdays. I think we will start with a pillow pattern and just go step by step through each part of making a quilt. These classes will be free (except for materials). Later I can teach specific patterns on a pay by class basis. This is my way of giving back to heritage of quilting. I hope that it will generate some business by the mothers of said children and perhaps I can then hold beginner quilting classes for adults to generate some income.

I wish you the best!

Rose, your ideas are excellent.

Borntohandquilt. after living in Germany for more that 11 years I hear what you're saying...most Germans use featherbeds and what we call comforters for warmth. But while I was there at least in the American groups quilting was alive and well. We did have some great fabric areas in some of the PX/BXes and there were all kinds of quilting groups going on but on the German market the price of fabrics, notions etc., was way more than what we were accustomed to paying.

I am wondering if you can get in touch with some of the quilting groups in Ramstein, Heidleburg, Wurtzburg and Hanau and others as I've sure they would love to have you come and give them classes.
I'm not sure where you live but if there is a base nearby I will certainly try to find out if quilting groups are there. Things have changed a bit since we were there in the early 90's but I do know there are many quilters still there. Most of this came under the name MWR (Moral, Welfare, Recreation) so if you could get ahold of them somehow I believe you would have great luck in offering your handquilting classes. Sure hope this might help you.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:15 AM

Quiltmaker,
thank you for your tipps and your offer! I live about 750 km north from Würzburg and Stuttgart in Schleswig-Holstein and as far as I know there are no bases nearby anymore.
I have already had contact to a quilting group near Stuttgart several weeks ago, they were very interested - but I haven't heard anything since then. I think I will write an e-mail to hear what is going on.
Yesterday I met a quilter from Memmingen which is in the South of Germany. She told me she knows about several quilting groups in her area but the members all sew and quilt by machine and she is only one handquilter there. You see, it is not so easy! But I won't give up.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:09 AM

Growing up in Germany, I had never seen or heard of quilts. There were Flickldecken, but I didn't get to see one. A friend in New Jersey suggested to me to make a quilt from scraps she gave me. The result was disappointing. It took about 30 more years for me to get into quilting. Until our bi-centennial in 1976, quilting had fallen out of favor. We are so fortunate in the States to have such an abundant supply of materials and notions to indulge our passion. On my visits to Germany in the past, I found fabrics suitable for quilting very rare and not very affordable. Coming August I will check again. Like some others suggested on this board, start with small projects and teach piecing etc. first. Since you seem reluctant to learn this skill, don't be surprised if others are not too interested in learning what you love. My gifts of memory quilts (with family photos printed on fabric) were a big hit in Germany.
Network to find a friend of a friend who will do a feature of your excellent work in your local newspaper.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:26 AM

Andrea,

Since you seek to generate income from your instruction, you might, as others have done, create a video (DVD) that you then sell.

Alternatively (or additionally), you could try using an online streaming video service (IF your internet access is fast enough) such as http://ustream.tv. This would enable you to offer classes to anyone anywhere in the world with a decent Internet connection.

I have taken painting classes that use this service. What is really great about it is that you could do a "live" workshop (although the time difference might be a bit challenging for us here in the U.S.). The "students" watch you through online streaming video; there is a "chat" window that allows students to send you and each other questions and comments that you can answer through the video. And if you really want, you can have students take and email photos of their own work, and you can then provide feedback and suggestions to them.

Here is the URL of the painting instructor I have followed:
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/dave-the-painting-guy

There you can see examples of how he uses this service. One of the things he used to do was simply turn the camera on while he paints and we get to watch for free. Then he would periodically offer paid workshops. I took several of them; it's great.

As you can see, he leaves "recordings" of his past sessions so you can watch. If you're watching live, there is a chat window you can use with other viewers. I think he uses the free session (where we simply watch and he periodically talks about what and how he does what he does) as a form of marketing-- a "teaser". Then the paid classes are all about us.

He also records his workshops, and you can pay to view these.

I did a search and found this recorded video on hand quilting:
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/9165225

The only drawback of this service is that it really does require a strong, fast Internet connection for both the deliverer and the audience.

And I think it's free (one simply has to accept the advertising).

Best of luck to you.

-- Jillaine Smith
Bethesda, MD USA
p.s. of German origin: Rheinpfalz/Rheinbayern, Schwarzwald, Rottweil-Tuttlingen (as you see, mostly south, but also:) Mecklenberg and Westfalen... (I also do genealogy)
Old 04-12-2011, 05:32 AM

(as you can see, more quality videos are needed!)

Here's a list of recorded videos about quilting:
http://www.ustream.tv/discovery/reco...pular&top=week
Old 04-12-2011, 06:04 AM

I have visited your beautiful country at Easter time and spent time in Wurtberg visiting old castles and churches. My grandson has been raised in Kurnach as my son was stationed in Germany but his wife did not want to live in the States.
I am watching Georgia Bonesteel's shows on Quilting in Germany. She has explained that the wonderful feather blankets are needed for the winters but she is finding that the quilts are perfect for summers. Hang in there, the word is spreading.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:28 AM
EC

Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
I have re-started to offer hand quilting workshops here in Germany last year and at the beginning there was quite a lot of interest.
This weekend I received a message of one of the shop owners who organizes one of my workshops. She has to cancel it because there were no interest at all in attending. This is the second planned workshop for this year that must be cancelled due to that.
I must say I am a little disappointed. I know people still love to see hand quilting and other traditional crafts - but most of them don't want to learn and do it by themselves. They don't have the time or the money to attend a workshop, they call themselves too impatient for a craft like that and of course I hear many other good reasons. Well, I can understand them all - but I still feel a little disappointed.
I have earned some money with my workshops so I can pay the material for my quilts - now I will have to look around and find something else. Maybe I should enter more quilts at shows and win big awards! :D
Hello Andrea, first of all your work is fantastic! I watch for your posts all the time. I'm sorry to hear that there was not enough interest in your classes. I, for one, would be happy to attend! After looking at your many quilts, I think you would have no trouble selling some of your designs in place of holding workshops. Some of us love the handwork but are completely daunted by the thoughts of marking out our own design. I did a small wholecloth for a new granddaughter 8 years ago and would love to do something larger but am highly intimidated by the design process and there are not many really nice ones out there to be purchased. Just a thought for your consideration. In any event, thanks for sharing your beautiful work. Looking forward to seeing more.

Elaine