Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can't finish my quilts >

Can't finish my quilts

Can't finish my quilts

Old 04-08-2012, 06:25 AM
Banned

I am sure many can relate...finality means so much in so many different ways!.....HOWeveR....WE your quilting sisters/brothers want to encourage to join the ranks of the finishers! We are here to help you in anyway we can! Leah Day's plan is wonderful...and I for one know that you can do it! Practice on some sandwiched fabrics first..nothing REAL, but just two plain muslin squares with batting....quilt and bind it as a pix of your progress!
Old 04-08-2012, 06:43 AM

I can sure relate to not finishing quilts--I have what I call a "fear of finishing" anything. Whether it be quilts, scrapbooks, photo albums, cleaning out a drawer, anything, I hate to finish things. The odd thing with quilts is that I LOVE to do binding, but I have a hard time getting to that step. Once I figured out my "fear" now I recognize it and I talk myself into finishing things. Given that, I still have two tops in my closet waiting to be sandwiched and quilted. Sigh. Can't help you with your problem, but I can say you are not alone out there.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by annesthreads View Post
Well, all this discussion seems to have had an effect because - roll of drums - I've just finished a quilt! It's a small wall hanging put together from some blocks a friend gave me, which I used to practice stippling and outlining for the Leah Day Quilt Along. It was interesting to work with these colours, as I usually stay clear of browns and autumn shades. I've had the binding on it for a few weeks, and managed to finish sewing it at my Mum's yesterday - visiting her is when I get some hand sewing done. That just left a small correction to be done on the machine, and this morning I've made myself go and sort it out - again, there was the inclination to put it aside, but this took me all of two minutes to do, and now the quilt is finished.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]326217[/ATTACH]

Well now! Well done! I love the colors!
Old 04-08-2012, 07:20 AM

This is my first post so I hope it's ok. I use to feel the same way about my projects until I finally realized that I didn't want to finish the quilts because I was afraid they wouldn't be perfect. So if it can't be perfect, why bother, right? WRONG!!!! I read an article in a quilt magazine and the main topic was FINISHED IS BETTER THAN PERFECT!!! That rang a bell with me and there's been no stopping me since.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:30 AM

I had about 100 unfinished projects, I have it down to about 50 or so. I have discovered that I love to learn new things and when it is about half or even almost done, I feel done with the project. What has helped me the most is belonging to a yahoo group called Stashbuster.
You might try something like that. Stop living in your sisters shadow. You are a person in your own right. Go for it!!
Judy Fry
Old 04-08-2012, 09:21 AM

I too am doing the Leah Day mini quilt. I finished the micro stippling yesterday. I want to see yours. Even though I haven't decided to bind it for a wall hanging or make a pillow out of it. I think I will put it on the board and see how many of us are doing it too. Please show yours. I want to see it.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:49 AM

Boy can I relate to this..............
I KNOW why I don't finish the quilts ... 1) I make them for no particular reason/person. 2) How can I give away my child?
Recently, in a fit of generosity, when asked to donate a quilt for the neighborhood raffle, I completed an UFO and turned it over to the organizers. The person holding the winning ticket was not at the drawing and I have had no opportunity to meet him/them nor have they contacted me, although I did put a label on the quilt and a note about how to contact me. sigh. That said, I will probably do it again, if the opportunity comes up.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:09 AM

You go and get those projects done, you do good work! I just love the friendship one, please give yourself a pat on the back for me : ) it's well deserved!
Old 04-08-2012, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by such a sew and sew View Post
I too am doing the Leah Day mini quilt. I finished the micro stippling yesterday. I want to see yours. Even though I haven't decided to bind it for a wall hanging or make a pillow out of it. I think I will put it on the board and see how many of us are doing it too. Please show yours. I want to see it.
If you go to Leah's site and look at her post for last Wednesday, you can link into the blogs of people who have made the quilt, and see their pictures. I've made two of the wholecloth quilts:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]326285[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]326286[/ATTACH]

and the back of the purple one:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]326287[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails quilt-along-12-3-001-634x640-.jpg   quilt-along-12-4-001-640x588-.jpg   quilt-along-12-002-640x554-.jpg  
Old 04-08-2012, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt View Post
If you post pictures of your near finished quilts, I am sure you will get a ton of compliments and then will feel ready to finish them. Instead of thinking about finishing them, think about the fun of binding them. Some people hate binding but I absolutely love doing the binding. It is one of my favorite steps. It is relaxing, not taxing and can be done in front of the television. Try to have fun with it.
So true. I also don't mind it at all. It is so close to being done, that it isn't stressful. The quilting part for me, however....is a different story.