Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can't finish my quilts >

Can't finish my quilts

Can't finish my quilts

Old 04-08-2015, 07:19 AM

For me I think I enjoy the creating of the quilt top more so than finishing it. Up until now my quilt machine had been on the frits for the past 3 years so hated to have to use it but just this past week its been fixed by the company so I no longer have the excuse. I find when I put a time limit on a project I have better chances of fulfilling it. Right now I have one quilt that is sitting around to have its binding hand sewn onto the back, 2 quilts on the frame almost done and 5 quilt tops in the wing waiting. 2 more quilt projects at the end of the cutting table but told myself I can't start them till I get all the quilt tops quilted. Plus while my quilt machine was being fixed, I pulled out a skirt I'd cut out at least 6 months ago and pushed to the side but have finished it this past weekend. Now decided to go thru more drawers to see what UFOs I might find. Found 2 more dresses cut out and ready to be sewn (I'd cut these out 4 years ago down in Florida). I've pulled these out and they're on the cutting table ready to go.

I did find out that I do like the look of the blind hem made by my machine so now hemming is no longer an issue for me.

But yes, I procrastinate till the very last and then push myself to finish. Seems to work better for me.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:52 AM

I usually finish a quilt before I start another but sometimes I lose interest in a top after its complete(for no particular reason). I will set it aside while I do something else for a while then "bribe" myself to finish it. Sometimes I might have 2-3 tops sitting there but once I get started on one, i find myself finishing them all
Old 04-08-2015, 01:03 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Originally Posted by CAJAMK View Post
Yes, I can relate! I have a "Super Sister" creative genius! Really! But the older I get the more I realize that we are 2 different people and so what if I am not as creative as she? This is what I enjoy doing. I also make quilts for sick children. I am sure they are not looking over how good or bad the quilt is. Knowing something I made beautiful or not is going to brighten someone's day keeps me finishing each quilt sooner (or sometimes) later.
I had the same 'Super Sister' and she taught me to quilt, but I was in her shadow always, especially when it came to quilting. Well, in 2003 she died 3 months after being diagnosed with cancer. I am out of her shadow, but would give anything to be back in her shadow if I could bring her back for one more day.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:25 PM

You can do it and don't ever give up! This is what I always go by and tell my children. Get going and we want to see!!!!!
Old 04-08-2015, 06:50 PM

I often times have trouble finished quilts too, so you're not alone. For me, it's kind of like my high school annual musical. We worked so hard for so long, had great performances - then after the final performance, it was all over. There is a real let-down after putting so much work, effort, time and talent into something. Then, just like that, it's over. I understand the sadness and maybe that's what I'm trying to avoid???

Wow. How much do your charge for these therapy sessions???

Let's encourage each to finish our quilts!!
Old 04-08-2015, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by karenpatrick View Post
Perhaps you are suffering from clinical depression. The inability to finish anything is one the signs and symptoms of depression. I have suffered from depression for many years and have been on anti-depressants for years. Perhaps it's time to see your doctor.
This is making sense to me. I never finish a quilt reason I say is I have run short of batting/wadding so must wait till I shop. Or I'm not sure how to quilt it or just bought a fantastic new pattern must start it.

i have been diagnosed depressed with multiple anxiety disorders.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:01 PM

I was a bit surprised to see this thread come back to life after 3 years! I'm still not finishing the quilts...

All the unfinished ones have now been bundled into the loft, out of sight. I decided that I wasn't going to drive myself to finish the ufos before starting a new project, but would work on whatever I wanted to do, old or new, on condition that it didn't join that bundle! So now I do try to keep my focus on just one, until it's completely done, with a back-up to pick up if I have to temporarily pause to buy supplies.

At the moment I'm making a quilt for a room that's been redecorated, and that's keeping me working on it, as it'll be the finishing touch and I want to see it in place. Maybe that's one of the keys - is there a good reason to finish a piece of work? I get my baby quilts done in time (with a lot of effort!). It's the ones that have no destination, that are being made for the interest, that tend to be put aside.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
This is making sense to me. I never finish a quilt reason I say is I have run short of batting/wadding so must wait till I shop. Or I'm not sure how to quilt it or just bought a fantastic new pattern must start it.

i have been diagnosed depressed with multiple anxiety disorders.
I certainly think state of mind is an issue for some of us. My pile of ufos built up during a very unhappy time in my life, and probably does reflect a whirling, restless mind, unable to keep any focus and feeling very ungrounded. In the past couple of years I've tried to practice mindfulness - being in the present moment - and staying with one project is a helpful part of learning that.