Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't stop sewing scraps...

Can't stop sewing scraps...

Last week I decided to do something with the baskets of scraps I have been saving. So every day I rush to my sewing room and just sew, sew, sew scraps together until they become big squares maybe about 16 inch squares. I now have about 8 or 10 of the big squares and I just keep sewing those scraps. It's almost like an addiction or something. I can't focus on anything else or even work on another project. I just HAVE to sew those scraps into bigger squares for a future quilt top. Is this some new disease or something? Has anyone else had this problem before? It's not like I don't have anything else to work on. I have 2 quilt tops finished, just need to be sandwiched and quilted. I have fabric and patterns for 2 more quilts to be cut out....but, I just keep going to those scraps. It's just this fascination of seeing small pieces of fabric become larger and larger......any antidotes?

Blog Entries
    I need that bug to bite me! Scraps everywhere!

Maybe this quilt-in-the-making will be needed by someone soon. It's always nice to have a finished quilt available
    in case it is needed by someone & you don't have time to make one. I think you are a normal quilter.

pyffer3 says>>>>I have 2 quilt tops finished, just need to be sandwiched and quilted. I have fabric and patterns for 2 more quilts to be cut out....<<<<<<

(JUST need to be sandwiched, etc.?) This is work!!..Sewing your scraps is 'fun' and a bit of an adventure, for they are all coming out differently..
    There ..that's your answer..

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I had that addiction for awhile. I made string blocks all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Crqltr View Post
    I need that bug to bite me! Scraps everywhere!
    Me too! Can you send it our way? I just keep starting new projects

Blog Entries
    I sew scraps together in any order, whatever fits any of my die shapes for my Go. I fuse a lightweight interfacing, I use Misty Fuse, to the sewn scraps before cutting. Most are cut and sewn any such way so the interfacing stops any stretching and I don't have to care about the many seams when sewing the blocks together. The scraps I have left from cutting my scrap shapes, I toss in bin for anyone that needs stuffing for a pet quilt.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    Only possible cure is to make a quilt out of them, then start a new project just to get new scraps!
    We are here to learn how to live in heaven - I'm still learning.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I had the same problem. I had to force myself to stop sewing together strings so I could finish the quilt for my boss's retirement. Happy to say his quilt is almost done so maybe I can do a bit more scrap sewing. Next up: Maverick Stars ala Bonnie Hunter.

Blog Entries
    I believe this is contagious!! I thought it was only my personal disease. Lately I have managed to put together a few throws, baby quilts, and hot pads with some of my scraps......None quilted yet....still glued to machine to sew scraps! Have two machines busy.

I need to catch that bug too. I made 7 or 8 quilts out of scraps. I wanted to go back to using regular size fabrics. The scraps are growing by leaps and bounds.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    I have been doing the same. The scraps seem to keep growing. I finally filled a garage bag full of scraps and donated it. It seems never ending. I will cut up some more tumblers to make another, at the same time as making a new quilt. That will create more scraps...sigh....

Blog Entries
    that's WONDERFUL! and when the scraps are finally down to a small amount and you are ready you will happily move back to your on-going projects- don't feel guilty- or question it- be happy that you are making good use of those scraps- I've been known to grab a basket full of scraps & carry them around with me for a while- hand sewing them into blocks- if I grab the small ones I cut muslin squares to use as foundations & stitch them to that- if they are larger scraps I sew them together like you are doing- it is fun to see what can come of them...and always nice to see the abundance shrink
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I love scrappy!! Right now finishing hand quilting for one of my DD...Then have a UFO to finish (lone star) as a test/check before I begin one for another DD. Then I will reward myself with a scrappy!!

I've got the disease, too.. I am making four of the same style scrap quilts for my staff.. Can't wait until they are finished..

I just got done finishing a 72x72 quilt top doing just this very thing. For me it was a very necessary antidote to the OBW I've been working on. I love those quilts but to me, all those darn triangles feel very fussy and stressful and it takes me forever to get it all put together, so the unstructured fun of a fast, scrappy crazy quilt was (ironically) just the ticket to keep ME from going CRAZY! LOL

Funny how my scrap bin doesn't really seem any lower, though. Guess I'll just need to start another one! I'm only MAYBE 1/5th done with the OBW top. Probably more like 1/6th. Urgh.

And then when you get them sewn together do you look thru them to see how nice they look and pick out which block is your favorite??? This is what I do with my crumb blocks, I am making them 4 1/2 inches square and sometimes I just sew crumb blocks... one day I will have enough for a quilt.

I've been stuck with the same inspiration this week as well! I'm sewing the scraps on to diamond shaped muslin pieces. I have two medium sized containers jammed with scraps that was really frustrating me, so when I stumbled across this pattern something clicked. I have been sewing every chance I get, setting a goal to make at least 10 diamonds a day. There are something like 529 diamonds in the quilt, but I fear there may be enough for 2 quilts.
    Like you, I have other projects waiting, but this one I just can't put down.
    Keep going on your quilt, and let's see it when you are done!
    phranny ~ I cannot call my day complete. 'til needle, thread, and fabric meet.

I sew my scraps together all the time. to me sewing scraps are a no brain activity. When I don't feel good or the fibro is flaring , I need to do something for can't focus.. I sew my scraps... kinds of a scrap of therapy..... :-)

Blog Entries
    Sounds like it is taking on a life of its own. I believe there is a reason not yet revealed and yet, when It is, you will have an "Ah Ha" moment. Just roll with it. I would love to see some pictures.

I think I have the same ailment. I've been working in my scraps this week. It's a stress reliever for me. I've also been starching and ironing scraps, then cutting them into different sizes for future use. I think when you cut into them, they grow new pieces!

My scrap pile is about 4 ft. high. HELP!

I've been doing it for 2 years and 4 months. YES SERIOUSLY!
    cparant

Scrappy is FUN. Bonnie Hunter's Quiltville.com has a lot of free patterns for using scraps, and look for the section on "Leaders and Enders." Bonnie describes a clever way to use your scraps between doing regular quilt projects. There is also a section on preparing scraps for future projects, too.

That could be me writing the same story. I have the same bug but I have been making Bonnie Hunter's "Scrappy bargello" and have made three so far and started a fourth. It's very easy and you might want to check out her website which is www.quiltville.com.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast