Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can't stop sewing scraps... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cant-stop-sewing-scraps-t222092.html)

pyffer3 05-23-2013 08:35 AM

Can't stop sewing scraps...

Last week I decided to do something with the baskets of scraps I have been saving. :) So every day I rush to my sewing room and just sew, sew, sew scraps together until they become big squares maybe about 16 inch squares. I now have about 8 or 10 of the big squares and I just keep sewing those scraps. It's almost like an addiction or something. I can't focus on anything else or even work on another project. I just HAVE to sew those scraps into bigger squares for a future quilt top. Is this some new disease or something? Has anyone else had this problem before? It's not like I don't have anything else to work on. I have 2 quilt tops finished, just need to be sandwiched and quilted. I have fabric and patterns for 2 more quilts to be cut out....but, I just keep going to those scraps. It's just this fascination of seeing small pieces of fabric become larger and larger......any antidotes?

Crqltr 05-23-2013 08:42 AM

I need that bug to bite me! Scraps everywhere!

needles3thread 05-23-2013 08:45 AM

Maybe this quilt-in-the-making will be needed by someone soon. It's always nice to have a finished quilt available
in case it is needed by someone & you don't have time to make one. I think you are a normal quilter.

NUBQ 05-23-2013 09:04 AM

pyffer3 says>>>>I have 2 quilt tops finished, just need to be sandwiched and quilted. I have fabric and patterns for 2 more quilts to be cut out....<<<<<<

(JUST need to be sandwiched, etc.?) This is work!!..Sewing your scraps is 'fun' and a bit of an adventure, for they are all coming out differently..
There ..that's your answer.. :)

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 05-23-2013 09:06 AM

I had that addiction for awhile. I made string blocks all the time.

quiltstringz 05-23-2013 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Crqltr (Post 6081056)
I need that bug to bite me! Scraps everywhere!

Me too! Can you send it our way? I just keep starting new projects

BellaBoo 05-23-2013 09:18 AM

I sew scraps together in any order, whatever fits any of my die shapes for my Go. I fuse a lightweight interfacing, I use Misty Fuse, to the sewn scraps before cutting. Most are cut and sewn any such way so the interfacing stops any stretching and I don't have to care about the many seams when sewing the blocks together. The scraps I have left from cutting my scrap shapes, I toss in bin for anyone that needs stuffing for a pet quilt.

paulswalia 05-23-2013 09:48 AM

Only possible cure is to make a quilt out of them, then start a new project just to get new scraps!

quiltsRfun 05-23-2013 10:13 AM

Yes, I had the same problem. I had to force myself to stop sewing together strings so I could finish the quilt for my boss's retirement. Happy to say his quilt is almost done so maybe I can do a bit more scrap sewing. Next up: Maverick Stars ala Bonnie Hunter.

nanacc 05-23-2013 10:26 AM

I believe this is contagious!! I thought it was only my personal disease. Lately I have managed to put together a few throws, baby quilts, and hot pads with some of my scraps......None quilted yet....still glued to machine to sew scraps! Have two machines busy.